Skull soup

I just cleaned the skull on the deer I shot this year and figured I would post some pics and the way I got it cleaned up. 

The first thing is to remove as much tissue from the skull as possible with a knife ,I didn't feel like posting a picture of this step because of the public nature of the website. 

After that I put it in boiling water with a couple shakes of borax , every 30 minutes to an hour I pull it and scrape away at the remaining tissue that is falling off  . Keep the water topped off and don't worry about getting water on the antlers during boiling.

Once that is done ,you can see the skull is brownish , I included a picture of the peroxide that I use ,i bought it from a beauty salon ,it's for stripping hair of all its color I guess, it's thick like wall paper paste and goes on easily with a paintbrush and is easy to keep off the antlers . I leave it on over night.

The last step is to rinse off the peroxide and I finish with a wash with oxyclean ,it takes away a lot of the smell left behind.

20171209_130743.jpg

20171209_164454.jpg

20171209_171321.jpg

20171210_145247.jpg

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

The one on the right in the finished picture was done about 6 years ago ,you can see it is a little more yellow then the new one . My father in law seals his with mop and glow ,I don't like the shiny finish though.

Yeah I don't want a shiny finish but wasn't sure if there was a way to keep it from turning yellow. I think it is from boiling the head and basically boiling the fat into the bone. I'm not sure there is a way to keep it from turning yellow short of painting or sealing it.

If you really want to super charge the whitening, get the powder that mixes with your 40 vol. crème peroxide and put some heat to it.

Once the pastey mix dries it'll form a crusty shell that you can simply remove with a toothbrush. You can whiten a skull in less than an hour by combining those two ingredients.

• Like 3