Camera options?

Red

Im looking to surprise my wife with a camera for christmas i don't know what's good and what's not looking for some opinions.

She'll be using it for family outings and at the kids sports events. Im trying to keep it under $300. Would like a decent zoom for shots at the kids playing sports

Thats exactly what i was thinking when i first made this he definitely knows his cameras and takes amazing pics

Right now i have 2 in mind the nikon coolpix 500 for $279 or the canon t6 for $399 

The canon has so many extra features but i feel like my wife wouldn't really use any of them. 

Hey Red, I've got a Coolpix myself, and I'm not overly impressed with it. It's a nice little camera, but for that money could be much better IMO, and there are better options out there.

Have heard good things about the t6 but have no personal experience with them. Given the choice between your two options though I think I would lean more towards the Canon based on what I know of the Nikon.

Edited by wooly

I have the Cannon T5 and If I remember right I got it for right around $300. I use it for exactly what your wife will be using it for. Pictures of the family, vacations and the kids playing around in the yard. I find it very simple to use and it takes amazing pictures without having to get into all the manual settings. All of the auto settings have always worked for everything I need. I'm adding a zoom lens to it this year. I have probably taken over 3,000 pictures with it so far and not a single complaint. 

I hope this helps

I bought the Canon T6i last spring, it's above what you were looking to spend but I absolutely love it so far, it's got most of the features that the high end dslr's have for a bit less money. You may be able to find a used one for closer to your price range, I bought several cameras in your price range and wasn't overly impressed with any of them. It really depends how in depth she's looking to get into photography, there's a lot to dslr's and settings but it's fun learning to use them. Here's a few pics I took with my T6i to give you an idea of quality and I'm a novice at photography. I researched a lot of cameras before I bought this one, I'm glad I did. 1902cbec5eab8194053eaab25f252235.jpg7a4188ad2e1d1e27fe97b804e5939689.jpgc1ad5c28c0188ba8cc3d1659cb85ba52.jpg1119d7d6265c673ede3191feebc7085d.jpga235e304a56aa3c6c39bdf5a0e6a6fde.jpg58cfef1b94c8e2a0618b043c09b53d08.jpg0e2f253b6e2fbdc7ffe36655dcaf836b.jpgee6eb67299f9f238347b359de5e59cde.jpg4dbbdaa80a13ea87518d8829d3924229.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Thank  you guys i really appreciate the feed back. After hearing Mats experience with the coolpix and seeing the great quality of chrisw pics im going to pick up the cannon t6 its on sale at target for $399 with an extra lens.

Great pics Chris again thanks guys.

• Like 5

I don't care for the big cameras with the huge lens' . I have 3 Canon Power Shot SX 130 IS cameras . One in my backpack , one ine the car and one by my computer . I can zoom out to 40X with them which is all I need .

1st pic from the blind is normal setting . 2nd pic is over the top of the bipod about 45 yards away ( trail cam on a post ) with 40X zoom .

3rd pic is same as 1st and 4th pic is the tree in front with 40X zoom .

I think the most I paid for any of the 3 cameras was $160 . They probably have made improvements with the cameras since I bought mine . They take an SD card and 2AA batteries . The cameras also have a movie feature . 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

You can't compare a point-and-shoot camera with a dSLR.  Even a lot end dSLR will beat out most of the high-end point-and-shoots.  Only a small handful of point-and-shoot can match an entry level dSLR but they're always going to be a bit pricey.  dSLRs though, know that it's always more than the initial proce because you'll always want to upgrade the accessories.

My brother bought a CyberShot.  Can't remember which model.  He only spent like $150 on it and it takes great pictures night and day but he's never really tested it for action shots.  It's tiny so he can slip it into his shirt pocket which is what he wants.

If you don't want to go dSLR, I recommend the Canon G series.  I think they're up to like G9 at this point.  I haven't checked in some time.  I do know when the G series first came out they were in a class of their own because they were able to come close dSLR  performance in a point and shoot body.

I have a Canon G12 and thought the world of it until I figured out that the lens cover was scratching the lens (bizarre huh?) when actuating in & out.  Since Playboy isn't doing magazines anymore I don't really have a need for it so won't be replacing it anytime soon, I'm just not getting the gigs I used to.........

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, Red said:

Thank  you guys i really appreciate the feed back. After hearing Mats experience with the coolpix and seeing the great quality of chrisw pics im going to pick up the cannon t6 its on sale at target for $399 with an extra lens.

Great pics Chris again thanks guys.

You guys wont be disappointed and $399 with an extra lens is a deal.

I've stopped checking out cameras.  I used to spend so much on them and then a few months afterwards, I better one comes out and all of a sudden I feel like trading mines in.  After a bunch of wasted money, I've now stop looking at what new cameras are out.  Rather...I'm looking at what new guns are out.  I guess I never learn.