Ready to go yote hunting

Doc

Absolutely. I have a bait pile out again, but wont get much of a chance to shoot anything off of it this year, as we are moving to our new house this weekend. My sister lives about a mile from our new place and they have a terrible time with yotes over there, so Ill be doing my best to get after them this year. I dont need them killing all of my chickens and turkeys.

• Like 2

Deer gear mostly put away. Now on to the song dogs. Got a new scope mounted light, for the 7mm-08, to go along with the hand held light I picked up last year. Got a lanyard for multiple calls set to go. Got snow on the ground too!  Hunting partner called last night, to say two packs were calling back and forth on the farm last night. So, whhoooooo hoooo, it's time to get after them yotes! Great winter fun. And every bit challenging, as they are no push over. And very rarely do you ever kill them using the same set up in the same season.

• Like 2

I have never really hunted them as my targeted game.I have shot/killed 2 in all my years hunting 1 while deer hunt and 1 while smallgame hunting first 1 was a full mount second traded for a fishing rod.What do you all do with them other than just kill them?I know they need to be culled but wondering why if not using atleast the fur

I will tan the hides and make something out of them. Or more likely my wife will make something out of them. But first I have to start getting one or two. Mostly, it is another activity of challenge like most of my hunting is. Also, it makes the damn winter go by faster.

• Like 3

This was in my sisters yard few days ago, deer are going into thicket on side of yard, and the vermin are showing up behind them. This one made it out ok, but a neighbors cat wasn't so lucky. And my sister has small border collie mix that I told them to keep eye on when it has to go out. Days were alot better when these things were absent from NY State. This is in Niagara County.

yard 1 008.JPG

yard 1 009.JPG

yard 1 011.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

go out and educate some coyotes for a while now. Anyone else starting to think about it yet?

I always think about it but this year I will be a "caregiver" for I am not sure how long. Wife is having surgery tomorrow and not sure how long she will be out of commission. So for now I will be chief cook, bottle washer, and whatever else comes along :fie:

Edited by Steve D

I saw a fresh set of yote tracks out back while I was deer hunting Sunday afternoon.  I placed a fresh doe carcass 110 yards behind my bedroom window that I finished butchering later that evening.  My .22 LR and 30/30 are both by the bedside.  I will use the .22 if a yote shows up while the kids are sleeping, otherwise the 30/30.   Either one should get the job done.  That will probably be the extent of my yote hunting this year, unless a "target of opportunity" shows up when I am ML hunting for deer thru next Monday.  They normally don't last too long around here because have neighbors who are excellent trappers on each side.   

As soon as the FoxPro comes back from a warranty repair I'll be after em hard !! Looking for anybody willing to share the fields in the Erie county area. After my move I haven't had much time to scout and knock on doors. If you want, I'll run lights and call, you shoot ! I've got the gear and a few dogs under my belt. Not a pro but have spent countless hours chasing these critters. Good luck to those after em !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/12/2017 at 10:51 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

Ill be doing some coyote hunting on Thursday and Friday after I take my last final tomorrow. I don't have a .223 so ill be either using my 06, 12 gauge, or my .22 mag.

The 30-06 with 150 grain bullets would be your best choice.

• Like 1