If you don't post post pics of your deer your....

mowin

Ok.  Was at the local dinner yesterday. Two guys in camo talking about seeing a buddies deer on FB.  Then the one said something I thought was odd.  

"Someone who won't post pics of there deer on forums or share them on social media, don't want them to be seen because there not legal... ". 

I rarely post any pics of my deer on forums. Don't do SM so you definitely won't see em there. 

So, is what this guy said typically of what the hunting community thinks?  

No

I know of a few hunters with amazing deer that will never get posted, they don't post because they do not want extra competition in the area they hunt.  All legal and many above the 170 class.  They fear that if they post the deer other hunters will move into the spots they have. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

No

I know of a few hunters with amazing deer that will never get posted, they don't post because they do not want extra competition in the area they hunt.  All legal and many above the 170 class.  They fear that if they post the deer other hunters will move into the spots they have. 

I will post pic's after they are dead. But I don't shoot 170 inch deer either. But my trail cam pic's, of my top bucks, I'll hold close to the vest, for the same reasons as above.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

No

Agree--------  i know alot of people that will not post pictures cause fear of people trying to trespass.  The same people also will not tell truth on what town they shot deer on there tags.  They always say they shot deer 3 towns from where they are.    Years ago a friend of mine shot a giant buck in Malboro.  8 point that grossed 148.  He was so excited he told everybody to the exact tree he was in.  After that it was like the scene from jaws when they put bounty on shark and people from all over showed up. He ended up losing spot to someone he thought was a friend who payed alot more money to hunt there. He never made that mistake again, then again he never found a spot like that again......  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I post pictures but only because I don't tell people where they are from. I might give a WMU but not any specific area.

Doesnt matter, people will put it together. Ive had it happen, which is why I dont post pics until they are dead. If I shot anything really big, I might post it on FB and here, but I will most likely be lying about where it came from.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Doesnt matter, people will put it together. Ive had it happen, which is why I dont post pics until they are dead. If I shot anything really big, I might post it on FB and here, but I will most likely be lying about where it came from.

Kind of sad someone would come and jump your spot because a big deer was there. It's almost comically being they think there will be a giant or big deer there every year or multiple biggins'. I see nice deer once every 2 or 3 years I wish we had big deer every year but they need time to grow so that doesn't happen in my area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Kind of sad someone would come and jump your spot because a big deer was there. It's almost comically being they think there will be a giant or big deer there every year or multiple biggins'. I see nice deer once every 2 or 3 years I wish we had big deer every year but they need time to grow so that doesn't happen in my area.

John has herds of giant bucks every year.  PM me for the coordinates to his best hunting stands.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Is that similar to the Huntstand app/site? I use the Huntstand app and like it.

Yep, but better. Ive been using ScoutLook forever, but onX is alot better, and has way more features. If you primarily hunt one state, its $30 a year. If you want all 50 states, its $100 a year. It gives you all property lines, property owner info, shows all town/county/state land parcels and boundaries, different overlays for their maps, etc. The only thing that I like about ScoutLook is that "scentcone" thing they have that gives you a good visualization on wind direction. Check it out:

https://www.onxmaps.com/

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I post some others no - no rhyme or reason.  I expect many decline to post to keep good areas under wraps as suggested.  Either way, its a huge leap to assume anyone that doesn't post is shooting deer illegally.  Kind of silly.

there's also the internet police. Hey i see something that looks like corn in the background or you shot that 2 minutes before legal light, that crossbow is illegal in ny etc. And I only mean that with regards to people who aren't intentionally breaking the law. It's good to be educated on something you're doing wrong, but it doesn't take much for people to go after you... like poor grammar :rofl:

i never lie to people when they ask where I shot any deer I have ever shot., matter of fact I tell them exactly where I shot it.

Last deer I said right behind his right front shoulder.

Deer before that right behind his left front shoulder.

you would be surprised how many internet scouters there are, don't believe it happens go on some waterfowl forums and see what gets said about posting even general locations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have no problem posting bigger bucks i have on Cam's and take because most wot do what it takes to get to where i have found those deer. Proven with friends of my own, Even after taking their biggest ever and all excited at the time, By the time its all over they say i am crazy and will never do that again to get any kind of deer.

They are now happy with their...1 big buck..and now shoot whatever is easy. 

I can't post pictures because I am not that involved with the newest up to date technology.To you/most its a cellphone I pad and the laptops for the kinda money you all spend on these types of things I spend and pay my household bills.1'000 for a Damn cellphone is my entire heating bill for the winter/yep I'm a low class piece of shit but I do not live outside of my budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Ok.  Was at the local dinner yesterday. Two guys in camo talking about seeing a buddies deer on FB.  Then the one said something I thought was odd.  

"Someone who won't post pics of there deer on forums or share them on social media, don't want them to be seen because there not legal... ". 

I rarely post any pics of my deer on forums. Don't do SM so you definitely won't see em there. 

So, is what this guy said typically of what the hunting community thinks?  

Most guys here probably been hunting before Facebook and even before the internet. 

That's ridiculous

• Like 2