Nyack "Coywolf " update

Water Rat

Why? It looks healthy. Nyack could use a few less cats. 
I Loathe Coyotes. Though would love to make a coat out of them. Unfortunately I need to get a first one before I can even consider a coat. Given my current rate I think it may be a while

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I Loathe Coyotes. Though would love to make a coat out of them. Unfortunately I need to get a first one before I can even consider a coat. Given my current rate I think it may be a while

Why do you loathe them? They are intelligent, beautiful and fascinating. I raise sheep and hunt deer and I like them a lot.  

• Like 1

Why do you loathe them? They are intelligent, beautiful and fascinating. I raise sheep and hunt deer and I like them a lot.  
I do not like them eating my pets, the turkey in my area and also the deer in my area. I never said they weren't beautiful nor smart, both of which I agree as being true at least so long as they don't have mange.

22 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It looks like someone's pet

You never know what people might keep as pets. How are you going to kill it in Nyack anyway? You can't shoot a firearm in a village. Poison? Traps?

If left be it might help with the rat problem. I haven't been to Nyack in a long time but every urban area has lots of rats. Keep your pets safe inside where they belong and they will be fine.

If any area of the state needs a medium sized wild predator, it's the most urban areas. Coyotes in the metropolitan area should improve it. Overpopulated species like grey squirrel will be reduced. Song birds that can make a living there will benefit from the reduction in free-ranging cats. While the raptors that can thrive in a place like Nyack (Red-tailed Hawk, Screech Owl, Cooper's Hawk) might seem to compete directly with coyotes for small birds and rodents, the outdoor house cats probably kill much more raptor food than a coyote. Coyotes eating cats will likely provide a net increase in food for other wild predators. 

Edited by Curmudgeon
typo

22 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Be careful might be someones husky mix..

a couple of years ago maybe three, someone shot with a bow what they thought was a coyote on the edge of  tallman state park - just south of nyack about 3-4 miles - somebody's husky off leash being walked.

5 minutes ago, f3cbboy said:

a couple of years ago maybe three, someone shot with a bow what they thought was a coyote on the edge of  tallman state park - just south of nyack about 3-4 miles - somebody's husky off leash being walked.

Yeah happened this year too in NYC area, they are close and in low light I could see someone making the mistake.

• Like 1

I have to say that wild animals living in urban areas are always a potential hazard to themselves and the other normal residents of those areas of condensed human activity. Especially those that have the meat-eating equipment that coyotes have. The problem is the same as any predator that becomes too familiar and unafraid of humans. It becomes a case of a ticking time-bomb awaiting just the right circumstances and the right predatory personality for a mis-calculation by the coyote resulting in a tragedy.

The real problem is that these urban populations of wildlife are impossible to control.

8 minutes ago, f3cbboy said:

it was 2009 and it was blauvelt state park.  if i new how to post the link i would...man was illegally hunting and said he "shot at two deer with the bow and accidentally hit the siberian husky"

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have to say that wild animals living in urban areas are always a potential hazard to themselves and the other normal residents of those areas of condensed human activity. Especially those that have the meat-eating equipment that coyotes have. The problem is the same as any predator that becomes too familiar and unafraid of humans. It becomes a case of a ticking time-bomb awaiting just the right circumstances and the right predatory personality for a mis-calculation by the coyote resulting in a tragedy.

The real problem is that these urban populations of wildlife are impossible to control.

This is a problem of perception more than reality. See https://urbancoyoteresearch.com/

The big amygdala crowd always brings up these scary predator scenarios.

40 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

This is a problem of perception more than reality. See https://urbancoyoteresearch.com/

Actually there is some truth to that "perception."  Coyotes, and any predator, that lives in close proximity to human populations tend to lose their fear of humans and there tends to be a potential for conflicts.  There were articles in some recent years where some suburban coyotes out west were nipping at kids at a playground; I don't recall hearing about any significant injuries, but the description did seem to indicate the coyote were treating the kids in a prey-like manner.

Similarly, a young woman (Taylor Mitchell) was killed in a national park in Nova Scotia some years back by a pack of coyote.  The animals were later euthanized and came back negative for rabies; the prevailing theory was that they had grown accustomed to and increasingly bold with the humans who frequently visited the park.

Those are worst case scenarios, and I certainly wouldn't consider them to be normal occurrences.  I understand the coyote have a predator role to play in the local ecosystem, even in some rural neighborhoods.  But they are predators and their activities should be supervised and, when required, managed appropriately.  

53 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I am glad that you and your sheep can coexist with the coyotes in your area but, the pack that lives by my house has gotten 10 of my grandfather's chickens, taken down an 8 point buck in my yard and starred down one of my neighbor's when she went to cook dinner on her grill. 

So I would tend to think the ones by me have some what lost their fear of people and have moved up the food chain from just rodents. Just my experiences. 

• Like 1

I understand that coyotes look like our fuzzy domesticated family dog, and they do produce cute little puppies, but it is important to remember that they are wild animals that belong in the wild. The appeal of coyotes is often used by the PETA crowd to tug at the heartstrings of the Disney in all of us, but that only reflects an unrealistic view of wild critters and how they relate to the human population.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, greg54 said:

Eradicate the beasts.

I don't want to see them get bold around people's back yards or densely populated suburban areas, but they do have their place in nature. I don't want to see them eradicated.

I can hear them every night outside the house. Sometimes close, sometimes far. We've never had a problem, and we keep chickens, have a wandering (spayed) outdoor cat, a little lap dog, etc.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I don't want to see them get bold around people's back yards or densely populated suburban areas, but they do have their place in nature. I don't want to see them eradicated.

I can hear them every night outside the house. Sometimes close, sometimes far. We've never had a problem, and we keep chickens, have a wandering (spayed) outdoor cat, a little lap dog, etc.

In my area we have to watch our dogs, my weim got tangled up with one when we first moved to our house didn't escalate more than him chasing it off thank god. I have had them hanging around 50 yards out my backdoor. I managed to whack it during bow season big yote about the size of a german shepard should have tracked it down and had it mounted but didn't want to mess up my hunting. It was a pretty dog but with enough other predators out there I don't think there is a huge need for them except to keep the insurance companies happy.

Edited by chas0218

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

In my area we have to watch our dogs, my weim got tangled up with one

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

I have had them hanging around 50 yards out my backdoor.

Now those particular ones should be eradicated!

I'm kind of tolerant of the 'yotes, but I'm not tolerant of any problem wildlife.

• Like 1

Never understood the loathing for a pretty amazing predator.  They do seem to get a lot of blame that belongs to humans when it comes to killing off other game animals (loss of habitat).  In any rate, always heard that the harder the are hunted, the more the reproduce, so killing them seems counter productive.

• Like 1

Never understood the loathing for a pretty amazing predator.  They do seem to get a lot of blame that belongs to humans when it comes to killing off other game animals (loss of habitat).  In any rate, always heard that the harder the are hunted, the more the reproduce, so killing them seems counter productive.
If you hang around the site long enough this same type thread pops up like 5 times a year, a lot of irrational fear with little to no facts to back them up. Coyotes are amazing animals and I hope they are never eradicated. Most of it it based around "I didn't get a deer this year because the coyotes ate them all." "I heard a pack of 10 coyotes." "I saw a coyote cross my backyard, therefore they are way overpopulated." Blah blah blah... And how many of these same hunters spend their winters coyote hunting, very few. It's just easier to have something to put blame on. Coyotes are extremely misunderstood by 90% of the population so naturally that leads to fear. What gets me the most is that people feel entitled to the deer in the woods and get angry at other animals for eating them for survival, how self absorbed do you have to be to think you are more entitled to a deer than a coyote is. Noone on this site is going to starve without a deer, coyotes have that real danger. People think killing deer is a challenge, try killing coyotes, I assure you they are far more difficult than any deer. Maybe then more would have a better appreciation for these blood thirsty, baby stealing, stray cat eating, fear stirring, mythical creatures that we true conservationists and hunters simply call "coyotes."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

People think killing deer is a challenge, try killing coyotes, I assure you they are far more difficult than any deer.

That's what I quickly discovered. I've given it a couple of half-hearted tries at night. Apparently I'm a lousy coyote hunter!

Edited by Steuben Jerry