Velvet Deer Down during deer hunting season Upstate New York how uncommon is this?

Hunter007

Where were the testicles? Increased testosterone as the days shorten in late summer cause the velvet to dry and the antlers to harden. If the testicles are damaged or not descended the buck won't shed the velvet nor the antlers but that usually results in what are known as "cactus bucks".

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/7-photos-infamous-cactus-buck-syndrome/

My guess is that the buck in question had non descended testicles and was only 1 1/2 YO thus his 1st rack. Otherwise, the rack would have been abnormal in appearance and he would looked like the "cactus bucks" in the link.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Dude, the back and forth camera views made me dizzy. Also, not a fan of the walkie talkie communications used in that manner. 

I agree, using walkie talkies in the manner used in this video seems stupid. With todays technology and if you want to comminucate deer movement with another hunter, a simple text from your phone would be less intrusive. 

Too bad NY doesn't open in September. Velvet bucks on summer routines would be great. I hunted with xbow in CT one year and I passed up a 3pt in velvet. I regret it to this day- would have been cool to get one in velvet. KY, NJ, CT, and many western states open early enough for a chance at velvet whitetails, mulies, coues, elk, etc.

Brother shot a great 8 years back in velvet. Great looking mount  

wildcat is spot on about buck not dropping his marbles  Wife is a vet , happens quite often in dogs and they get weird with this effect    Obviously no horns on dogs   But non descended testicles is almost 100% the reason for still in velvet  

4 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

I agree, using walkie talkies in the manner used in this video seems stupid. With todays technology and if you want to comminucate deer movement with another hunter, a simple text from your phone would be less intrusive. 

Not all parts of the state have cell coverage 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Where were the testicles? Increased testosterone as the days shorten in late summer cause the velvet to dry and the antlers to harden. If the testicles are damaged or not descended the buck won't shed the velvet nor the antlers but that usually results in what are known as "cactus bucks".

My guess is that the buck in question had non descended testicles and was only 1 1/2 YO thus his 1st rack. Otherwise, the rack would have been abnormal in appearance and he would looked like the "cactus bucks" in the link.

Maybe a hunter shot them off last year,or a coyote took a bite at its  sack damaging them.

Or fence who knows .

20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I took a doe with one small spike in velvet a couple years ago
445354989c707570db065023f0ff896a.jpg

I also like the I’m dirty with the scope at 60 yards lol I think I hit some trees....emoji849.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a doe like yours back in the 80's. Little longer spikes, but like yours, in velvet. 

21 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

"Dude that had to have been 60-80 yard shot I'm nasty with the scope." Sure ya are chief. Come back when you can take a 1 shot heart shot on an antelope at 500+ yards and come talk to me. What a goober

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't even bother using a my scope rifle  , at that distance. I like  using a shotgun with iron sites when I know I will be hunting a location with no shots over 80 or so yards . 

Even when I'm not in shotgun zone , a lot of the time . I got so confident at  using  it  over the years i dont bother  most the time with anything else .

I like being able to switch from hunting big game to small with just one gun ,  that a shotgun lets you do .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

So while one can keep an eye on the deer while talking on a radio, texting would be better and quicker. I guess airplane pilots should shit can their radios and text with the air traffic controllers.

We use both radios and texting. If there is time, texting works.  Radio communication is instantaneous and one of the rules when group hunting on my property is that when anyone gets down from their stands, radio contact and affirmation is a must before anyone moves..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Brother shot a great 8 years back in velvet. Great looking mount  

wildcat is spot on about buck not dropping his marbles  Wife is a vet , happens quite often in dogs and they get weird with this effect    Obviously no horns on dogs   But non descended testicles is almost 100% the reason for still in velvet  

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Maybe a hunter shot them off last year,or a coyote took a bite at its  sack damaging them.

Or fence who knows .

Actually "fence injury" is mentioned in the article I linked.

• Like 1

Almost 30 years ago my buddy Dave killed a nice hard horned 8pt doe at the south end of Honeoye Lake. 

She/he was a beauty.............

IIRC the DEC in Avon was called and did a story for the Conservationist Magazine.

I have a lousy picture somewhere......

Edited by Lawdwaz