Velvet Deer Down during deer hunting season Upstate New York how uncommon is this?

Hunter007

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

An ostensible moose-deer hybrid photographed near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado. The antlers of this animal are more similar to those of a mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) than to those of an elk (Cervus elephas). 

moose-mule-deer-hybrid-750-556-82.jpg

Looks more like elk antlers to me.

Just read an article in deer and deer hunting from January 15, 2017 on antlered does.  Could not figure out how to link to it. Paraphrasing, the article says the odds of an antlered doe is around 1:1,000.  Not directly related to odds of a velvet buck, but found it interesting.  I have only seen/found 1 antlered doe, and it had been dead a couple days at least when I found it.

Oh where to start on that video.... Lol. Def weird to have the velvet !

I was under the impression it was illegal to use walkie talkies to "aid" in hunting.

And yes BRO, we can see your nasty with a scope. Takes a solid shooter to send 3 rounds through trees at 60 ( or 80) yards.

I agree, he's a GOOBER

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Oh where to start on that video.... Lol. Def weird to have the velvet !

I was under the impression it was illegal to use walkie talkies to "aid" in hunting.

And yes BRO, we can see your nasty with a scope. Takes a solid shooter to send 3 rounds through trees at 60 ( or 80) yards.

I agree, he's a GOOBER

It was a great video you most admit like watching a comedy on tv lol  I like when the guy goes "omg what is that thing "

Like he shot a UFO lol 

• Like 1

Or where he asks if it's a big buck or not... BRO, he's claiming to be hathcock with a scope yet you couldn't tell if it was a big buck or not.... ??? Idk, I hate to judge cause we all get a bit stupid when the adrenaline's pumping, but come on man. Goobs are easy to spot

22 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Or where he asks if it's a big buck or not... BRO, he's claiming to be hathcock with a scope yet you couldn't tell if it was a big buck or not.... ??? Idk, I hate to judge cause we all get a bit stupid when the adrenaline's pumping, but come on man. Goobs are easy to spot

He is either really green or acting like a clown just to get views on  his YouTube channel

I had one here a few years ago that never shed the velvet right into December.

I had one encounter with it in December while shed hunting and snapped a couple pics of him still in fuzz, but those got lost to Photobucket. Pretty sure I posted them here at the time so some may remember seeing them.

Best I have left is a TC pic from October that same year. No idea what ever happened to this deer or if it was a buck or doe. Only time I've ever seen velvet that late in the year.

original.jpg 

On 12/12/2017 at 4:55 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Too bad NY doesn't open in September. Velvet bucks on summer routines would be great. I hunted with xbow in CT one year and I passed up a 3pt in velvet. I regret it to this day- would have been cool to get one in velvet. KY, NJ, CT, and many western states open early enough for a chance at velvet whitetails, mulies, coues, elk, etc.

Actually it used to in the NZ on Sept. 27th. You could use the previous season tags, we used to hunt it as not many people had tags left and you got fist dibs on the state land deer. We used to whack something early every year. It was nice as we would have a little meat in the freezer and could wait it out before taking an early archery doe and leave them alone to bring in a mature buck. It was only for 3 days then you had to use your current season tags. The reg season tag became and either sex and your DMP's were still good if you had them for that area. I remember shooting 2 deer within 10 seconds of each other. I don't think I'll ever get the chance to double during archery season.

Guys that we hunted with shot a couple bucks in velvet while you could hunt early season before 2 weekend in Oct. opener. Actually the year it went to Oct. 1st they did away with early 3 day season in the NZ.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1