Wanted, junior .410 shotgun

pt0217

Just a thought. Up that to a 20 gauge IMO. Had my petite little daughter shooting her Remington youth 20 at 12 years old. Low brass field loads are nothing. Put a shock relief pad on it too. On a turkey she’ll never feel it. Shot her first deer this year with a 2.75” slug and says never felt it. I did the sighting in with both turkey loads / then switched barrels and I shot slugs. It’s pretty tame to shoot. 20 gauge is more versatile. That buck she shot never moved after the kaboom. Get some shooting sticks for your girl and a youth 20   Think you’ll both be very happy in the long run. I toted her gun a few times this year. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your thoughts. We were going to start by hunting some squirrels. I have a junior breach break 20 that my older daughter used when she got her license. But my younger daughter had a tough time with the kick. I will look into changing the ammunition to get the recoil down and see if that works. I appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

Why get one or the other lol
I started my son with a Rossi 22/410 combo and then the youth 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree totally Fletch, but the OP might not have that expendable finances currently and figured he would start with one.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 gauge will be cheaper to buy and shoot. 20 gauge with low brass field loads won't have much more kick than 3" .410 loads, and you can get 2 boxes of 20 gauge for the price of 1 box of .410. Don't ask me why but .410 is expensive to shoot. When I was 10 years old I got my 870 20 gauge, with 3" slugs it was uncomfortable to shoot at 12 years old but lots of rabbits, squirrels and a few grouse have fallen to that old gun. Great starter gun aside from a bolt action .22

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 2

My daughter has been shooting my semi auto 12 gauge for 2 years for turkey season. She shoots the same 3" turkey loads that I do. It kicks a bit, but she does fine. For her birthday this year I bought her a 20 gauge pump turkey gun. She loves shooting it. A .410 is pricey to shoot. Maybe look into a 20 gauge gas operated semi, the gas system takes quite a bit of the kick out of it.

• Like 1

If you can find a used 1100 or similar autoloading 20ga, it will be the perfect gun. And if she stays active in hunting it can end up being a turkey and deer gun too. Or, if you wanna drop some serious dollars the Remington versamax or V3 in 12ga are as light on the shoulder as a .22. Versaport gas system is amazing technology. Don't believe me, shoot one!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

If you can find a used 1100 or similar autoloading 20ga, it will be the perfect gun. And if she stays active in hunting it can end up being a turkey and deer gun too. Or, if you wanna drop some serious dollars the Remington versamax or V3 in 12ga are as light on the shoulder as a .22. Versaport gas system is amazing technology. Don't believe me, shoot one!

The Browning Maxus would be a good choice as well. I believe Doewacker bought one for his wife.

On 12/12/2017 at 4:49 PM, pt0217 said:

My younger daughter had a tough time with the kick.

As you are getting your daughter started hunting Squirrels which I consider to be a great idea, consider a 22 LR rifle to get her feet wet which has a whole lot of positives. A 22 has a lot going for it when it comes to Squirrel hunting. A good solid rifle will never be outgrown, it can be purchased for a reasonable price with plenty of new and even good used examples available. Newbies take to them well for a whole lot of reasons, they are quiet, zero recoil, ammunition is reasonable allowing for a lot of trigger time that will promote good marksmanship without flinching and most of all confidence. An accurate 22 rifle will add quite a bit more killing range also, I have killed far more Squirrels with 22s than I ever have with a shotgun. If your young lady does take to sport hunting there will be plenty of time to get her a shotgun down the road when she is ready. 

Al

Edited by airedale

As you are getting your daughter started hunting Squirrels which I consider to be a great idea, consider a 22 LR rifle to get her feet wet which has a whole lot of positives. A 22 has a lot going for it when it comes to Squirrel hunting. A good solid rifle will never be outgrown, it can be purchased for a reasonable price with plenty of new and even good used examples available. Newbies take to them well for a whole lot of reasons, they are quiet, zero recoil, ammunition is reasonable allowing for a lot of trigger time that will promote good marksmanship without flinching and most of all confidence. An accurate 22 rifle will add quite a bit more killing range also, I have killed far more Squirrels with 22s than I ever have with a shotgun. If your young lady does take to sport hunting there will be plenty of time to get her a shotgun down the road when she is ready. 
Al

You know Al, that’s really where I wanted to start her. We shot a .22 together and she was very comfortable with it. My issue is that we live in Westchester and there are places to hunt small game but I am under the impression that we cannot shoot a rifle. That is why I was looking at shotguns. If I knew for certain that I could hunt with a .22 I would be all over it. Thanks!

23 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Maybe look into a 20 gauge gas operated semi, the gas system takes quite a bit of the kick out of it.

Yes it does even with 3" slugs, my wife doesn't like a lot of recoil so when it was shotgun only in 8F I bought her the 1187 20 gauge slug gun. That thing is a breeze to shoot. Compared to my .270 it kicks less. I haven't put any birdshot through it but I would suspect it would kick about as much as a .243.

• Like 1

For a youth hunter/shooter I myself would start with a combo NewEngland Firearms has a great combo 22 410 and 20 guage and I think but not sure but you could purchase even a 223/243 that is adaptable same stock just different/changeable barrels.

If you go the .22 route get a bolt action. 2 reasons one being you can't just spray and prey making the kid line up the shot and will need to learn to be patient. The other reason is it gets them ready for a bigger rifle later on for larger game. If they learn one bolt action rifle pretty much all others are the same.

Edited by chas0218

Or you could go to the other extreme, as I witnessed recently. Over the summer I visited a Dick's Sporting Goods store and saw a sales clerk talking an oblivious father into buying a Rem 870 3"mag for his son's 14th birthday, so he could hunt the youth weekend for deer. Thinking to myself... poor kid will hate his father for this!??! Okay, so down the road he'll thank his dad, but as a 14yo - no so much!

Or you could go to the other extreme, as I witnessed recently. Over the summer I visited a Dick's Sporting Goods store and saw a sales clerk talking an oblivious father into buying a Rem 870 3"mag for his son's 14th birthday, so he could hunt the youth weekend for deer. Thinking to myself... poor kid will hate his father for this!??! Okay, so down the road he'll thank his dad, but as a 14yo - no so much!
Well, that's what I started out with. Even fought my dad so I could use 3" mags. I remember him giving me the Cuomo quote " you don't need 3" mags to kill a deer". Eh, I did it my entire career.... Teach them basic firearm skills, point of aim, target acquisition, sight alignment / sight picture and they only need one shot. Granted, practice can be a bit rough on the shoulder ! If you can teach a kid to not flinch with a 3" mag they will prob never flinch whatever they shoot !

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, pt0217 said:

I’m looking for .410 for my daughter she is 12 years old and is just starting out. I am in Westchester County. Anywhere within an hour I would be interested. Thanks!

What about a good quality air gun to start her out on .

That's what I got first then a little after that 10/22