22 LR for yotes at night

eagle rider

1 hour ago, eagle rider said:

what you think about 22 LR for nighttime note calling

No way unless you are one hell of a shot and can make consistent head shots...The minimum to consider using should be a .22 mag with v-max bullets with shots a hundred yds. or less. You would be better off using a shotgun with 3"mags. than a .22 rifle

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

I killed a large male with one a few years ago, using a Remington Yellow Jacket, at a range of 110 yards.  That is the distance to the bait pile (deer carcasses, etc), behind my bedroom window.  The .22LR does not wake up our kids, who are sleeping down the hall late at night,  like my larger rifles do.  The shot was taken broadside, behind the shoulder.  I heard a "yip" at the shot, and found him the next morning, about 40 yards from where he took the little bullet.   Coyotes are relatively thin-skinned and it don't take much to punch thru the lungs.  If any significant meat needs to be penetrated, as would be the case with quartering shots, then you will want a little more punch.  Two yotes presented targets that night.  I also squeezed off a few shots at the smaller one as it ran off, but I do not believe that I hit it.  Those shots were taken as it was quartering away at a flat-out run after loosing it's mate.   Unlike deer, I don't mind taking a chance of wounding a coyote, and I will take any shot at one that offers even a remote chance of a hit.   If I ever ran into that situation again, I would target the smaller of the pair first, as that will be the female and killing them does a lot more to reduce the population, than taking out a big male.    The only time I use head shots is when the animal is held in a trap at point blank range.    

Edited by wolc123

As others have said, don't use the 22LR, I use a 22Magnum for shots under 100 yds and even with that I prefer under 75yds. I'd use my AR in 223 but being that some spots aren't too far from housing developments I don't want people calling the police for shots at night. A shotgun is also a very good option, I use no 4 buckshot in a 3" 12 gauge and it works very well, also good for multiple dogs quick. Coyotes are generally pretty easy to put down, but the 22 LR is only going to give you problems. I know a guy that uses a 17HMR too, it works ok, you will lose dogs with it though unless your shots are perfect and even then they can run aways.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are tougher than most think, I have put arrows with gapping holes through them at 20 yards to have them go 200+ yards spewing blood everywhere. I am planning on setting up a bait pile behind my house with a wireless sensor to signal me when they are out there. I have a horrible problem at my property and they usually hunt in packs. I know many say they don't but I have camera photos and have seen it first hand with multiple coyotes working to corner prey. I have only seen it with 3 coyotes no more than that.

Personally I would be using my .222 but the .22LR might come out if I can get her setup, only issue I might have with the .222 is the sound with my neighbors. Too bad NY doesn't allow suppressors that would make life a lot easier.

Anyone tell me how the .22LR compares to the .22 Mag sound wise?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

How about one of those "big game" air rifles. They claim to have plenty of power, and I would imagine the sound is probably not really all that bad.

Any .25 PCP would work and they are very quiet.

I should qualify, this would need to be fairly close range, maybe 50yds or less, I would think. 

Edited by moog5050

I wouldnt worry about noise. In all the years Ive been going out predator hunting, not once has anyone called the police after I have shot. In fact, theres been a couple of times that I have taken shots within 50 yards of a house (had permission) and asked the people inside if they heard me shooting and have been told no every single time. Most of the time, you are going to be almost 3 times further away than that. Its the dead of winter, almost everyone has their windows closed, and some have storm windows, etc. They wont hear a 223 or even a shotgun. Heck, I shoot my 308 (with a brake on it) out of my basement window, directly below the kids rooms, in the middle of the night and dont wake them up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I wouldnt worry about noise. In all the years Ive been going out predator hunting, not once has anyone called the police after I have shot. In fact, theres been a couple of times that I have taken shots within 50 yards of a house (had permission) and asked the people inside if they heard me shooting and have been told no every single time. Most of the time, you are going to be almost 3 times further away than that. Its the dead of winter, almost everyone has their windows closed, and some have storm windows, etc. They wont hear a 223 or even a shotgun. Heck, I shoot my 308 (with a brake on it) out of my basement window, directly below the kids rooms, in the middle of the night and dont wake them up.

Your right, I shot one in the middle of the day from inside the house through the patio door with an AR, my family was in the house and didn't even notice that I shot. Even if someone hears a shot, they can't pin point where it came from.

• Like 1

They are tougher than most think, I have put arrows with gapping holes through them at 20 yards to have them go 200+ yards spewing blood everywhere. I am planning on setting up a bait pile behind my house with a wireless sensor to signal me when they are out there. I have a horrible problem at my property and they usually hunt in packs. I know many say they don't but I have camera photos and have seen it first hand with multiple coyotes working to corner prey. I have only seen it with 3 coyotes no more than that.
Personally I would be using my .222 but the .22LR might come out if I can get her setup, only issue I might have with the .222 is the sound with my neighbors. Too bad NY doesn't allow suppressors that would make life a lot easier.
Anyone tell me how the .22LR compares to the .22 Mag sound wise?
The Mag is definitely louder, I'd dare say 1.5 to 2x as loud as a 22LR, but in the middle of the night I doubt many will notice it inside a home.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I know we are talking about caliber what about lights vs night vision? I am thinking one of those nice ATN scopes would go nice up top my .222.

• Like 1

Right now Im running a setup from Wicked Lights. I have a scan light that goes on my head and a kill light mounted to my gun. It works very well. I have the head light set to a wide focus, so that I can catch their eyes, and the kill light is set to a tight beam that fills my scope at about 100 yards.

I would love to get one of the ATN scopes, and probably will when I put together a dedicated predator rig again. That way I can do without the kill light. I cant see replacing the scope on my deer gun for one of those. What Id really like to get is a thermal scope for a predator rig, but now you are talking thousands of dollars. They are the cats ass though.

Here is the light setup I use

https://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/w403ic-scanpro-ic-night-hunting-red

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Right now Im running a setup from Wicked Lights. I have a scan light that goes on my head and a kill light mounted to my gun. It works very well. I have the head light set to a wide focus, so that I can catch their eyes, and the kill light is set to a tight beam that fills my scope at about 100 yards.

I would love to get one of the ATN scopes, and probably will when I put together a dedicated predator rig again. That way I can do without the kill light. I cant see replacing the scope on my deer gun for one of those. What Id really like to get is a thermal scope for a predator rig, but now you are talking thousands of dollars. They are the cats ass though.

Very happy with my Wicked Lights rig.  I'm using a handheld flashlight with red cover for scanning, but want to get a red headlamp instead.  Hands-free plus rechargeable batteries. :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Very happy with my Wicked Lights rig.  I'm using a handheld flashlight with red cover for scanning, but want to get a red headlamp instead.  Hands-free plus rechargeable batteries. :D

I used to scan with a hand held spotlight, it worked ok. The headlamp is great though, keeps my hands freed up to get on the gun faster and run the call. I used to need someone to go with me, but now I do all of it myself if I feel like hunting and noone is around to go.

• Like 1