what would the old hunter in you tell the young hunter you were

Robhuntandfish

I came from a suburban family in which no one hunted, so I'm pretty sure I made every mistake possible in learning to hunt with my Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams 12 gauge. The best advice I could give is to be patient and listen to the experienced hunters. Be smart enough to sort out all this advice and don't beat yourself up over your mistakes. You're gonna make them. 

We all realize, of course, that we would never have listened to most of this advise. We knew it all back then....

7 hours ago, Belo said:

to the land buyers. Question.

My dad curses my mom for not letting him buy "more land" when they were first starting out. At 63, he is certainly in a better financial situation now and admits they couldn't afford it then. 

I've passed on land for a nicer house/commute/school district and I don't think I'll ever regret that. How many of you really had the means in your 20's to buy land?

Never bought land , wife came with it, come up,think of it that was a huge cost ....  However I could  have , bought  my first house in my mid 20's as a single man . Started maxing out my retirement the day I start working , plus matual funds on the Side .

Never bought new cars , did travel though . Never had a car loan , mort. Was $749 a month .

We live in what many would call a starter home , raised our kids here , folks who,have never been to,our home will ask if we'll down size now that the kids are gone . We tell them we've lived downsize forever . 

Could I have bought land in my 20's ? No. 30's or 40's sure , but our financial goals were paying for kids college and retirement . Land , new cars and big houses would have got  in the way .

We need a financial area here .

• Like 1

to the land buyers. Question.
My dad curses my mom for not letting him buy "more land" when they were first starting out. At 63, he is certainly in a better financial situation now and admits they couldn't afford it then. 
I've passed on land for a nicer house/commute/school district and I don't think I'll ever regret that. How many of you really had the means in your 20's to buy land?

Well I'm 30 and own 200 acres of my own my brother is 35 and he has another nearly200. I live without so I can have my own. If it wasn't for owning land I could probably afford a new Harley and a new snowmobile and a new truck but my older models still slow me to have fun and allow me to afford my hobbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

At 30 I have matured more than I could imagine as an outdoorsman.

The number 1 thing I would tell the younger me is not to argue or do the opposite of what my father tried telling me. As a kid I always had a better way to do things and now that my dads gone I wish I would have listened more.

The other thing I have learned is its not the number of fish you catch, what they weigh or the number of deer you kill/ what they score/weight it's the time in the woods that is the trophy. Instead of having racks/mounts to brag about have them to use as a remembrance of how and who they were taken with.

I am thankful I have learned this because I enjoy my time outdoors much more than I used to!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well I'm 30 and own 200 acres of my own my brother is 35 and he has another nearly200. I live without so I can have my own. If it wasn't for owning land I could probably afford a new Harley and a new snowmobile and a new truck but my older models still slow me to have fun and allow me to afford my hobbies.

what town/county? 

• Like 1

I would have to tell my youngerself to slow down and don't rush/wish I were older because now I would love to have them old day's back!I've no regrets to what I have done inlife just now I'm a little wiser and make better choices.

I have thought about this a couple days to come up with an honest answer. I turn 50 in a couple weeks. I have never had a ton of money, but I have been able to afford my hobbies. I grew up in the outdoors and at dirt tracks on the weekends.  My father took me hunting starting at a young age. There was no babying and going home because it was cold. He basically did everything wrong according to how it is done now, but I loved it.

He taught me to shoot shotgun and rifle, and although I never could compete with him when it came to shotgun, by the time I was 12, I could out shoot him with the .22 mag. He was the one that made me able to remain calm and make the shot when it came, and not before.

I had a neighbor that taught me to fish and to trap, so that was even more time in the woods and water. I had a gun shop owner up the road that ran coonhounds. That became my true love and made some money in hides and later in competition.

So, unlike a ton of kids, I was given the outdoors and grabbed it by the horns. I consider myself very lucky to have lived the life I have. It wasn't always perfect and I had plenty of personal things come up, but the outdoors was always there.

A couple of things I would tell myself is to run hounds as much as you can because deer hunting is going to ruin it in the end, and to pick up the bow right off the bat.

• Like 3

I'm 62, but only my third year hunting. I would tell my younger self, don't worry about kids and family and job taking time away from fishing and hunting. Everything has a time and a place. When family comes, embrace it, jump in with both feet. Share what you love with them, but don't force them to do more of it than they want. Put your own interests, wants, needs aside, learn to try/do what they are interested in.

When your kids are grown up and gone away, you will only wish you had more time to spend with them.  Hunting and fishing will always be there to fill your free time (provided you take care of yourself). It is just as much fun learning something new at 62 as 22 or 32 whether its deer hunting, bow shooting, fly fishing, wakeboarding, or whatever.

• Like 7

I knew my wife for some time before we started seeing each other.  She was always a friend who "wasn't my type".  I would have gone with her sooner, which means less money wasted on loose women and instead get into hunting sooner and spend more time in the woods.