Tips for cleaning CVA nipples?

stubborn1VT

What to do you use for tools?  So far, I've done the best I could with Qtips.  Someone must have a better way.  The muzzleloader isn't filthy, but I want to do a good job putting it to bed for the winter.  Next year I will do more shooting and put a better scope on it.  If I treat it nice, maybe it will help me put some venison in the freezer next time!

What powder are you using?? If your using pyrodex or triple seven there are a lot of cleaners out there. for the nipple CVA has  a jar with cleaner and a basket where you place the nipple in and let it soak while you clean there bore if used it and works good also for the bore there is a foam made by TC and its very easy to use. If your using Blackhorn 209 powder then you can use the same cleaning product for your centerfire rifle

• Like 1

I use the Q tips as well after I soak it in something called Rusty Duck. It's a red colored liquid in a white plastic jug I bought at Gander years ago. It is a phenomenal cleaner for pyrodex or triple 7. Use in the bore as well.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Cleaning those ML breech plugs is pretty straight forward, soak & scrub. Getting all the gunk out of the small port hole is what I'm guessing you're asking about. After soaking plug in your favorite BP dissolving solution, any combination of (IRC?) a ~0.019" pin, a pipe cleaner & canned or compressed air will help clean out that spark passage.

Same cleaning process for a percussion cap nipple. Believe at one time I'd bought a cleaning pin that clears out that spark passage. Compressed air helps!

get your hands on a 5/32 drill bit. i use them to clean out the flash hole in my breech plug.  I shoot a Thompson so i don't know if the flash hole on your cva will be the same size but its the best way i have found  to clean it out. quite a bit of gunk builds up from the primers. I would suggest the blackhorn for the simple reason that it doesn't require cleaning after every shot. cleaning is a little more tedious but its just like cleaning any other gun {not using Windex and water}. the pressure created by blackhorn is very close to the 777 powder . So other than cleaning after every shot there is really no appreciable gains in speed. You could however customize a load that helps your gun shoot tighter groups. you will need  a powder scale to achieve that goal.

18 minutes ago, vizslas said:

..... quite a bit of gunk builds up from the primers. .....

Still not sure if OP is talking about an in-line or percussion ML. Both have available hotter caps and primers that are better at keeping debris from building up in the flash port.

Sure you also know this, but it is widely suggested to shoot a cap or primer after cleaning to burn off any cleaning residue. W/O a powder loadi!!!! :notme:

• Like 1

All good info.  I'm up in the air about switching powders.  Pellets are awfully convenient, but cleaning between shots isn't.  I was impressed with the accuracy I got out of 250 grain Hornady bullets with a sabot and 2 pellets of Triple 7. 

I tried some No Excuses bullets that Pygmy was kind enough to send me, but my CVA seemed to spit them out.  They grouped, but quite a ways to the East for some reason.  Thanks Dan.  I'm still figuring out the muzzleloader thing.  Kind of bummed I didn't fill my doe tag.  It will probably be 4-5 years before I get another one in that zone. Ah well.  That's hunting.

bought this last year

https://www.ebay.com/p/CVA-in-Line-and-Sidelock-Combo-Nipple-Pick-Brass-AC1582/1000018892

also bought this kit

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cva-barrel-blaster-cleaning-value-pack-aa1850.html

which had some things I didn't have in my kit already like breach plug soaker and anti-rust patches

Edited by Belo

JMO, I wouldn't want to be forcing a drill bit down the small flame port on a nipple or breech plug like you were drilling a hole. I'd prefer to get a new, correct sized drill bit and use the unmachined, round end of the bit to force out the grit/crap with something holding the bit like a tap handle instead of an actual drill or screw gun. Or just get a nipple pick. I was lucky enough to have access to gage pins, so finding the correct sized pin for either was not an issue.

• Like 1

So it looks like I won't be switching to Blackhorn 209.  They recommend using a different breech plug with the loose powder, but my CVA is an older model (Kodiak) and they don't make a Blackhorn breech plug for it, just the 3 newer models.  Some say it doesn't matter.  CVA says that the way the loose powder packs can effect ignition.  I also talked to a local gun shop owner who warned against using Blackhorn without the recommended breech plug.  

On 12/15/2017 at 2:17 AM, nyslowhand said:

JMO, I wouldn't want to be forcing a drill bit down the small flame port on a nipple or breech plug like you were drilling a hole. I'd prefer to get a new, correct sized drill bit and use the unmachined, round end of the bit to force out the grit/crap with something holding the bit like a tap handle instead of an actual drill or screw gun. Or just get a nipple pick. I was lucky enough to have access to gage pins, so finding the correct sized pin for either was not an issue.

Nobody said anything about forcing anything.  After doing further research, some powder manufacturers also suggest it, using a bit the same size as the flash hole in order to clean the carbon out.  

Thanks for the responses.  I have a can of air, now that I think of it.  I have used a pin in the past, but the correct sized drill bit seems pretty fool-proof.  
A clean nipple is a happy nipple!

Or a wet one, or cold one, or gently pinched and twisted...

You get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk