What type of ear protection do you use when you hunt if any .

Hunter007

9 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

None, but your smart wearing some. I like my walkers electronic muffs but would loose my mind wearing them hunting, I don’t like even having a hat over my ears. I’d look for some kind of electric wireless ear plugs. 

I have really good hearing and like to keep it that way so I use them .  Even one shot is enough to  make my ears ring . So I use them . 

• Like 1

cant stand not being able to hear if a deer is walking in.  Sometimes they are like ninjas.  Sometimes its just a stick breaking and they are there or have heard a buck snort/grunt and know there is a buck nearby.  At the most only shooting once or twice.  If was for a lot of duck hunting and shooting a real lot prob would.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

cant stand not being able to hear if a deer is walking in.  Sometimes they are like ninjas.  Sometimes its just a stick breaking and they are there or have heard a buck snort/grunt and know there is a buck nearby.  At the most only shooting once or twice.  If was for a lot of duck hunting and shooting a real lot prob would.  

The ones I have are just enough to work not make your ears ring if you take 1 or 2 shots  but still let you here the animals walking around.

There bare minimum protection  you would  want something better for a lot of shooting   like at the range i use the muffs.

Edited by Storm914

A few years back i had some inexpensive ear plugs that actually enhanced hearing allowing one to hear the slightest rustling or twigs snapping sounds. They would also allow one to pinpoint the source much better than with normal hearing.

They had a "suppression circuit" that would reduce the muzzle blast enough so that it wouldn't damage hearing. A volume control would allow one to turn up the volume like a hearing aide and the sound of the gun shot was muffled to level where it would sound like it was at a considerable distance.

They were quite amazing and were very similar in design to my late Mother's $3000 hearing aides right down to the volume control, battery compartment and tendency to whistle when not inserted properly. The only real difference I could see was the fact that the $3000 examples were custom fit from ear canal casting while the cheap ear plugs used 3 varying size silicone ends to accomplish a snug fit.

Walkers still makes them and for < $25 are worth giving a try.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/walker039s-ultra-ear-in-the-canal-hearing-enhancers-2-pairs?a=1811248&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KCQiA38jRBRCQARIsACEqIev2a6ADLgtzwDK2axZ4wkyqqezoKu-baV8PTXu9KIa41227SATzFQ8aAoDKEALw_wcB

Edited by wildcat junkie