Microsoft BS phone calls. Do you get them ?

turkeyfeathers

That’s the third I just got in a week. Cell, work and home. Indeed calling from India. Want you to log into computer and who knows what after. Hey , here’s my credit card # too. They say I see you’re having a problem with Windows and I’m here to help you out. Also have been getting random emails saying my name has been linked to some crates stuck in customs valued at huge dollar amounts. And of course I win a “ free” cruise quite often. I’ve signed up for the no call list. That’s a crock of crap apparently. Think I’ve blocked 30+ numbers on cell so far and that’s fruitless. Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sis got scammed by some virus alert on her computer a few weeks ago.

Since she had a friend that had the same experience, she called the "Microsoft" number provided in the warning for them to fix the problem since it claimed all her personal info was at risk.

Long story short, they accessed her computer and installed a bunch of anti-virus junk that she could have downloaded for free, but in this case she got socked for $400.

A few weeks after that fiasco, her credit card got hit for a $900 charge made from this same company she had paid the services for. Her CC company alerted her of a suspicious charge so she had to go through all the hassle of disputing an unauthorized charge. When the CC company had her on the line and called back to the "Microsoft" number telling them the unauthorized charge was made by them, they claimed they didn't have anything on record about any of that.

I had that yrs ago, little foreign fella tells me he's with Microsoft and need to fix my computer so I played along for a bit, he's telling me to go here then go their, then he says what do u see now.. I say a scam!! He yells and hangs up

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That’s the third I just got in a week. Cell, work and home. Indeed calling from India. Want you to log into computer and who knows what after. Hey , here’s my credit card # too. They say I see you’re having a problem with Windows and I’m here to help you out. Also have been getting random emails saying my name has been linked to some crates stuck in customs valued at huge dollar amounts. And of course I win a “ free” cruise quite often. I’ve signed up for the no call list. That’s a crock of crap apparently. Think I’ve blocked 30+ numbers on cell so far and that’s fruitless. Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea get those at least 1 or 2 a year .

My response is  i dont have a computer click 

Awhile back we had "Christy" calling every day about the "problem" we have with our credit card. My wife told her each time, we have no problem, please don't call back!  The last call came when I picked up the phone and in a heavy breath, I said "Chrrisssty, ohhh, that's such a sweeet naaaame, keeep taaalking baaaby, oh yes oh yes" Never heard from Christy again!!!!...................hehehe. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I have time, I like to play along until they lose interest. I act all concerned and am "glad" for their help.

It goes like this;

"Sure, thanks so much, let me turn my computer on"

"wait a minute, it takes a while"

"uh-oh, looks like it's doing some updates"

"Oh, now it has to restart"

"wait a minute, it takes a while"

"Uh-oh, my screen just froze, hang on while I try restarting it again"

I lose them somewhere around there. Like I said, when I have time...

• Like 1

best one i got was from a lawn service place and they said "we went by your house and noticed you have a lot of crabgrass and weeds in your lawn and we can help you out with that"  I had just got the phone hooked up as we put up a new house and it was nothing but mud and stone in the yard from the construction.  So I said - why dont you stop by again and show me the crabgrass and come to the house and we can discuss it  and that I would be home all week.  - I sure hope they drove all the way out to check cause guess what-- they didnt knock on the door or call back.  

^^^ pretty sure you can thank Google maps for this one. Months ago I was shopping around for a better rate on a combined auto/home insurance policy. One agency told me I needed to repair my front steps and roof before they could give me the best rate...!?! They did admit to Google mapping my house and never had an agent onsite inspecting it! Also suspect a lot of town's base their tax assessment on these Googled map views of your property.....!?!

BTW - Just upgraded to a new PC with Win10 and it automatically logged me into the MS website network when I turned my PC on... Had to manually reset this option to being logging on locally only!! Just a thought.

Not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but these are definitely Big Brother watching and following your every move.