Apples and Pears oh my

Like most people who read this section of the forum I would like to plant fruit trees next year. I think chestnut crabapple semi dwarf is my apple choice#1 but I would like 2 or 3 varieties any insight? Pear trees are my next reading subject which looks a little more in depth then apples. I can read all day but have never grown fruit tree's and I know there is some hidden knowledge behind some of these keyboards.

I planted 1 year old wildlife pears about 5 years ago that I purchased from Morse Nursery.  They really took off and are about 12' feet high now. however have yet to produce any pears.  When I contacted Morse they told me that it's because the plants are still juvenile and should produce within the next few years.   Stay away from dwarf because the deer will browse what ever it can reach.  

• Like 3

I planted a princess peach tree i bought at lowes that was about 5ft tall 4 years ago. I have trimmed it and it is about 15 ft. Tall now and just as wide. I have also takin pits from those peaches and grew more trees. I now have 12 new trees planted since i began with them being about 2 ft. To 4ft. I read the new ones will produce in about 7 years. The peaches are small and sweet. Wildlife like them and they make great cobbler.

• Like 1

I've planted a couple of pear trees from tractor supply, had 1 small pear first year, no pears since (3 yrs). They are still growing, I wonder if it's a pollination problem as there is only 2 trees? The other thing I consider when looking for pears is the maturity date as a lot of the pears drop in September and are all gone by hunting season. Need to find late maturing pears that are local and cheap. I think I got the last couple on sale for $15 each. 1" diameter potted plants!