Canned Hunts

Iluvracks1359

Thanks for all the input guys! From the sounds of it, most everyone has negative input on this.
I probably came across as negative. I'm just not as appreciative of the kills that happen behind high fences, that's all. I can admire a 200" anyday....but appreciate is another story

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I suppose opinions are primarily based on what your idea of hunting is that you were raised believing in. To me, hunting has a lot to do with challenge and accomplishment. Yes, there is a lot more stirred into it all, but the primary ingredients for me is matching wits with a critter that is a survival expert in their own environment and that has opportunities and a willingness for evasive escape. My version of hunting has no slaughterhouse mentality that regards hunting as simply killing or food gathering. To me a hunting trophy is not something that you buy. You earn it. There is a long ways from what is called canned hunting, to what I consider to be "hunting". Personally, when I say I am a hunter, I don't want anyone confusing what I do with any of these guaranteed hunts. Hunting has been too much of what I am and what my life has been about to be degraded by the one-sided activities of canned hunts.

1. The new world record NT whitetail , 47 points , killed by the cousin of my nephews hunting partner btw, was aged at 3 1/2 years .

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/big-bucks/update-official-scoring-is-312-for-world-record-nontypical-buck

2. 6k is not a lot of money to many people 

3. One does not pay a hooker for sex , one pays her to leave afterwords .

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

1. The new world record NT whitetail , 47 points , killed by the cousin of my nephews hunting partner btw, was aged at 3 1/2 years .

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/big-bucks/update-official-scoring-is-312-for-world-record-nontypical-buck

2. 6k is not a lot of money to many people 

3. One does not pay a hooker for sex , one pays her to leave afterwords .

No one pays a hooker for sex and to leave.

I have no issue with the canned "hunt" as long as it is called a "shoot" , not a hunt. it is growing all too common in our quick satisfaction society to expect immediate results, and to be able to brag with no discernible reason. I was raised to believe (and still do ) an 8 pt buck is a thing of beauty. The genetically enhanced bucks they offer on some of these canned hunts look like abominations to me.They are NOT representative of the species. 

3 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I have no issue with the canned "hunt" as long as it is called a "shoot" , not a hunt. it is growing all too common in our quick satisfaction society to expect immediate results, and to be able to brag with no discernible reason. I was raised to believe (and still do ) an 8 pt buck is a thing of beauty. The genetically enhanced bucks they offer on some of these canned hunts look like abominations to me.They are NOT representative of the species. 

Agree with most. The representative part you speak of represents a very bad genetic herd. Whitetails in Ny are pretty much near the bottom. Even in my closed herd in Ny using the same blood as a farm say in Iowa,Ohio,Kansas i cant make the same size deer.  I have 160-180 inch yearlings every year on a regular basis by breeding great bloodlines and selective breeding where they have 180-200

Whitetails can be so much beter than we see in this state thats for sure. Your right about the 8 point buck thinking but thats because thats the only crappy breeding we have ever known.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, erussell said:

Only real fair chase is stalking with a recurve. Everything else the hunter really has the advantage. 

That's why I hunt naked, with a spear.  And one sock; for the thorns.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm not a fan of small enclosures ,with  feeders , I'm ok with it just not for me .

Then there is a friend that hunts free range deer in Montana, he drives back roads, well that's all they got ... and glasses deer out of his truck, he can see 200-300 a day . Find one you want , park perhaps circle around , use a ditch , or duck walk till you're in rifle range , set up shooting sticks and drop it .

Often other guys will wave him over , " you Joe's friend ?" , go,over to ( insert spot here ) there's some real nice bucks there now .

Sometimes I think we're the only hunters getting cold , wet and muddy .

If you just want a big rack on your wall without any sense of accomplishment, plenty of people sell old mounts for a lot cheaper than $2k.

I hunt for meat and the challenge personally. I would give more credit to a guy who shoots a B.B. in the wild then a 190 in a can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a bear hunt up in Canada.   Not canned, but baited.    I know the odds of seeing a wild bear (without bait) are none to slim.    So I figured I'd do a baited bear hunt for my 1st bear.    2 of us drove way north into Canada.   Very remote area.    The guide has to bait for 2 months prior to opening day.  Every day,  same time, and I think the guide rings a bell at the bait site when they fill the bait station.  It's a lot of work for the guide.   Serious commitment.  

Guide puts me into my stand, baits the site,  rings the dinner bell,   22 minutes later bear comes in & I'm thinking,  ....  this is NOT hunting.    But I got my bear, and I'm done.

My hunting partner, he sat for 7 hours before the bear came in.    Just at dusk.     We both got bears on day 1.    He sure is thinking this is hunting after 7 hours.

Is it hunting??     yeah, why not.    You can call in deer, Elk, Moose, and you can bait animals too depending on where you hunt.

Would I do it again... Probably in 5-10 years if I want another bear.

I think that these preserves serve an important function. It can be good training for a young person to observe his/her reaction to shooting, and dressing big game as well as  teaching safety issues. It's enjoyment for  disabled, or elderly person who can't, or  who can no longer get out to hunt on his/her own. It's also outdoor enjoyment  for any other gun owner who wants to go just to go and have fun.  I suspect that all, or most  participants support the 2nd amendment   and hunting  rights so I don't think that hunters who don't go to preserves should knock  them. They purchase firearms, ammo as well as making other hunting supported purchases., so hunters win.  I know a number of people who have gone to preserves and all of them freely admit to how and where they got their "trophies", and all of them are gun owners and hunters.
In addition, I would never use the term canned hunts, which, as I was told, was a term started by anti hunters. They win whenever  we  quote them, or we go after our own.
So in my opinion if someone wants to get some antlers on the wall, and that's how they want to do it they should go for it, have fun,  hang their trophies and tell their stories.

Disagree with the learning of young hunters. I’m not against the new youth hunt, but the argument against it is because it’s not reality. You’re just setting your kid up to be disappointed.

I think it’s important to distinguish between caned (as in high fence) and outfitters. I wouldn’t have an issue with outfitter hunts, but it’s not my thing. A cage is a little different.

I did a penned release pheasant hunt once. It was fun, but there wasn’t much of anything sporting about it even though the birds were not caged.

I’ve considered an outfitter black bear hunt and while not penned I don’t see the enjoyment of hunting a well planned bait site. As enjoyment for hunting to me is the journey before the trigger is pulled.

This year was my first and I may hunt 20 years in the daks and never see or kill a bear, but you better believe I’ll have a good half chub if I ever do!

18 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I probably came across as negative. I'm just not as appreciative of the kills that happen behind high fences, that's all. I can admire a 200" anyday....but appreciate is another story

I am not actually against it or for it but I just don't like that a lot of people that go to those places get confused and think  that is the same as actual hunting . Or that those deer they are shooting at are the same as wild deer on state land .

I am not actually against it or for it but I just don't like that a lot of people that go to those places get confused and think  that is the same as actual hunting . Or that those deer they are shooting at are the same as wild deer on state land .
That's a confused hunter if they have that mentality. Good luck thinking the can is equivalent to state land. Lol !!!

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

That's a confused hunter if they have that mentality. Good luck thinking the can is equivalent to state land. Lol !!!

From the way they act on some of those shows you see on YouTube you get the impression they did some incredibly difficult  thing by shooting the Frankendeer in one of those places  lol  I think a lot of them are little confused when you see there reaction and attitude  about it . It is funny to watch In a way .

Edited by Storm914