Canned Hunts

Iluvracks1359

Yea I’m sorry it’s not hunting. My buddy wants to do I high fenced hog hunt in Pennsylvania I told him there is no way I’m going with... I said pay me half the money you will pay them I’ll buy two hogs from the farm down the street from my camp. You go sit in one of my stands I’ll heard them to you with the atv and you can shoot them....... he tells me I don’t know what I’m talking about hunting hogs on 200 acers with feeders is still hunting.... what a dope lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was into doowop so I' wasn't a a Ted Nugent fan, so I really don't know much about him, but a few years ago I read something online that he wrote about High Fence Hunting that I thought was interesting. I don't know why I came across it at the time , but he gave his take on it. It's probably still online if anyone cared to read his opinion.

34 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Yea I’m sorry it’s not hunting. My buddy wants to do I high fenced hog hunt in Pennsylvania I told him there is no way I’m going with... I said pay me half the money you will pay them I’ll buy two hogs from the farm down the street from my camp. You go sit in one of my stands I’ll heard them to you with the atv and you can shoot them....... he tells me I don’t know what I’m talking about hunting hogs on 200 acers with feeders is still hunting.... what a dope lol

It is target practice in my book .

Like going to the range .

Hunting don't thing so .

18 hours ago, greybeard said:

Belo.. I disagree about the youth hunting, but we all have our opinions based on many factors and experiences so disagreements are fine with me.

well help me see your viewpoint. not an argument, but a discussion. My take from your post was that a canned hunt would better prepare youth for "the real thing". I don't disagree that it's not valuable experience, I just don't think it's the right approach to teaching. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

well help me see your viewpoint. not an argument, but a discussion. My take from your post was that a canned hunt would better prepare youth for "the real thing". I don't disagree that it's not valuable experience, I just don't think it's the right approach to teaching. 

Sitting in a freezer for four hours in the dark would be better preparation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Hmm canned hunt for teaching kids how to hunt .

Well yes and no .

Yes it would,   moving  targets make good practice then just shooting at  the range . 

But on the other hand you are  maybe setting up your kid for a big disappointment when he hunts  state land or even private land for that matter .

You are  not going to see to many huge Frankendeer on state land, and any big buck there Will be 20 times harder to get a shot at if there even there . Compared to the point and shoot  farm animal targets at those high fence places .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

What happened to the good ole days when i was 10 (many moons ago) and i would sit in knee deep snow overlooking a field and was so cold my dad had to light a fire for me. Till this day i never forgot that day, waited a few hours and a doe came out into the field running, the snow was up to the does belly. He missed that running shot. That was 37 years ago and i remember it like it was yesterday. What did that one day teach me? Patience, dedication, persistance and you just never know when things can happen. That one lesson alone has made me a very successful deer hunnter, i dont give up!!! What kind of lesson or message do you think these pens send to a kid or even an adult  just starting out? Sorry, ill take the same approach with my kids that my dad took with me. Im not into this instant gratification era.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, the blur said:

I did a bear hunt up in Canada.   Not canned, but baited.    I know the odds of seeing a wild bear (without bait) are none to slim.    So I figured I'd do a baited bear hunt for my 1st bear.    2 of us drove way north into Canada.   Very remote area.    The guide has to bait for 2 months prior to opening day.  Every day,  same time, and I think the guide rings a bell at the bait site when they fill the bait station.  It's a lot of work for the guide.   Serious commitment.  

Guide puts me into my stand, baits the site,  rings the dinner bell,   22 minutes later bear comes in & I'm thinking,  ....  this is NOT hunting.    But I got my bear, and I'm done.

My hunting partner, he sat for 7 hours before the bear came in.    Just at dusk.     We both got bears on day 1.    He sure is thinking this is hunting after 7 hours.

Is it hunting??     yeah, why not.    You can call in deer, Elk, Moose, and you can bait animals too depending on where you hunt.

Would I do it again... Probably in 5-10 years if I want another bear.

It is hunting.  You may not have put all the time and effort into finding and setting up suitable bait sites, but someone else did.

The way the forests are up there, baiting and hound hunting are about the only ways to even get close to a bear.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I had two buddies that did a high fenced Russian boar hunt with bows. They were on the ground and it actually took them a full day to get close enough for a shot. I guess the ones there were not kept in a small pen but left out in the full enclosure. Anyway they each taped each other on each stalk. It was pretty freaky how those things actually charged at the shot. I think he figured it out back then that the price per pound was just a tad over buying  commercial pork at the store

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I had two buddies that did a high fenced Russian boar hunt with bows. They were on the ground and it actually took them a full day to get close enough for a shot. I guess the ones there were not kept in a small pen but left out in the full enclosure. Anyway they each taped each other on each stalk. It was pretty freaky how those things actually charged at the shot. I think he figured it out back then that the price per pound was just a tad over buying  commercial pork at the store

Ive done a few, the boars are wild and reproducing in there. Again, I dont claim it was a challenge but if you pick a particular boar and hunt him with a bow it is a lot of fun and the meat was awesome. I wanted to hunt boar and im not traveling to do it

23 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

It is hunting.  You may not have put all the time and effort into finding and setting up suitable bait sites, but someone else did.

The way the forests are up there, baiting and hound hunting are about the only ways to even get close to a bear.

I got my first bear after nine days on stand, its hunting alright 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive done a few, the boars are wild and reproducing in there. Again, I dont claim it was a challenge but if you pick a particular boar and hunt him with a bow it is a lot of fun and the meat was awesome. I wanted to hunt boar and im not traveling to do it

the one guy made a 30 yard broadside shot. It  stood for a bit. turned and ran at them. it was was head on, had to arrow it again,  and ended up collapsing about 10' from him. That was about a 300# boar.  It may not be a real hunt but I bet the pucker factor was real...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the one guy made a 30 yard broadside shot. It  stood for a bit. turned and ran at them. it was was head on, had to arrow it again,  and ended up collapsing about 10' from him. That was about a 300# boar.  It may not be a real hunt but I bet the pucker factor was real...lol

While we were gutting other boars stood watching a little ways off, the guy told me to keep one eye on them as theyll charge in. Mean critters

15 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That would be the way to do it .

If I ever went to a place like that i would  try and definitely use something that was more challenging.  like use a spear or slingshot. lol  

Its funny when you watch those videos  of those places  the  guys usally always have  the biggest caliber you can imagine with the hugest scope to shoot a animal from 20 yards away in a box blind in front of a feeder  lol  anything over a smoothbore shotgun in those places is way overkill .

Edited by Storm914

I did a board hunt years ago in northern NY, 8 of us went, we all killed boars, was it a hunt? No, not really. It was a 75 acre enclosure and there were elk, Rams, boars, sheep etc in there, like a giant petting zoo really. I actually had to convince myself to shoot one, it just did nothing for me, I feel better about it if I look at it as I went to the grocery store and killed my own pig. I will say that the meat was delicious though. Is the skull displayed as a trophy with my others? Nope. Not even sure I still have it. It was nothing like my expectations thought it might be, and I'll likely never do anything like that again. I paid to pick out a pig and kill it for the meat, not real exciting that's for sure.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

boars are invasive. hell they trap them in cages and just slaughter them. I don't see any real issue with how you might want to kill an invasive destructive mega-breeder. I suppose I'm not one to judge what can and can't be canned, just that i wouldn't feel anything  bad about a canned boar hunt. Probably wouldn't call it "hunting" though. hell if i was rich i'd want to do one of those helicopter boar shoots!

Edited by Belo

4 hours ago, Belo said:

boars are invasive. hell they trap them in cages and just slaughter them. I don't see any real issue with how you might want to kill an invasive destructive mega-breeder. I suppose I'm not one to judge what can and can't be canned, just that i wouldn't feel anything  bad about a canned boar hunt. Probably wouldn't call it "hunting" though. hell if i was rich i'd want to do one of those helicopter boar shoots!

I have to admit, that just looks like a ton of fun! Blasting around at low elevations in a helicopter, shooting fun guns.

Crap the only thing missing is a naked girl and then it would check all the boxes for me!

• Like 6

DAMN  !!  Looks to me  to be about as much fun as  guy can have with his clothes on....

Sign me up....I wanna shoot  a shotgun with buckshot, though,  two guns with extended magazines and somebody loading and passing me a full one when I pass him back the empty one..

YEEEEE- HAW  !!

• Like 3

Why are invasive animals accorded less respect than game animals when it comes to shooting and killing? 

If I catch a bass where they are invasive and legally must be killed, I don't throw it against a tree or toss it on the bank to suffocate. I knock it with a priest it or knife it as I would a trout I'm keeping. 

Not sure I get with randomly shooting into a sounder of hogs in the hope that I'll wound a few. If this guy shot at a deer and missed four times before he connected somewhere, he'd be called out.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, left field said:

Why are invasive animals accorded less respect than game animals when it comes to shooting and killing? 

If I catch a bass where they are invasive and legally must be killed, I don't throw it against a tree or toss it on the bank to suffocate. I knock it with a priest it or knife it as I would a trout I'm keeping. 

Not sure I get with randomly shooting into a sounder of hogs in the hope that I'll wound a few. If this guy shot at a deer and missed four times before he connected somewhere, he'd be called out.   

It is  the helicopter part that makes it look fun really 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

Thats what you call the....Bambi Effect!  Thats why i dont listen to half of these guys that bitch high fence.  They will kill anything else. Hunting or not Hunting the animal makes the difference  

• Like 3

Too rich for my blood. On the one and only hog hunt I went on…still hunting for the beasts with bows up a Tennessee mountain. My buddy dropped his bow, bent his sight. Bad shot on a big black Russian boar. I ran after it…up the hill and shot it with an arrow. It turned, squealing and ran after me. I never ran so fast down hill. I ran past my buddy and said, "Shoot him…he's right behind me." The pig was. But my buddy was laughing so hard…he couldn't shoot…said it was "the funniest thing he ever has seen."  I had to laugh…after a bit. 

• Like 2

I put in for these lottery deer hunts at a couple of fenced in government facilities. There's no difference hunting there than anywhere else other than the fact that if you shoot a record book deer,  I don't think you can get it recognized by P&Y and B&C because of the fence. They give you an area thats about a100 acres or so and a map, and off you go. Some of the deer Ive seen have been awesome. 

• Like 1