Canned Hunts

Iluvracks1359

So i saw this article about a guy who shot a 31 point buck somewhere in new York, I don't remember what it said, but the story read that the guy moved into the area and it was his first year hunting there or something and he kills this slammer. Any ways,. the story came back and it turns out he killed this deer on canned hunt, tall tine whitetails in Norwich new York. So, curious, I went to the website, and their prices are outrageous, but they GUARENTEE a shot at whatever class buck u want. I don't remember all the pricing but it was $2,000 for a 120-130 class buck and like 6300 for a 190+ class buck. Personally, I don't have the money to spend 65 hundo on a deer hunt. But the 2000 I could swing. Have any of you guys tried this? Is it worth it? Does it even feel like hunting? I mean if they GUARENTEE u a shot at the buck you want . . . clearly its not going to feel challenging like going out in your own woods and watching a deer for months or whatever. Anyways, opinions?

You certainly won't have the same satisfaction as killing a wild deer.  It's the difficulty of killing a nice 130 in the wild that makes it special.  If one just wants antlers, I suppose $2000 ain't bad.  I am sure I spend more than that hunting every year and I get no guarantees.   Lol

• Like 2

Tom Kelly offered an appropriate analogy in his book " The Tenth Legion"....

With my apologies to Col. Kelly, it went something like this...

The Sultan's  Son has been given the keys to his Dad's harem for the weekend...

A buck private has a weekend pass and $50 in his pocket...

They are both after the same thing...Which one do you suppose will have to employ greater skill and effort to achieve his goal ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

So i saw this article about a guy who shot a 31 point buck somewhere in new York, I don't remember what it said, but the story read that the guy moved into the area and it was his first year hunting there or something and he kills this slammer. Any ways,. the story came back and it turns out he killed this deer on canned hunt, tall tine whitetails in Norwich new York. So, curious, I went to the website, and their prices are outrageous, but they GUARENTEE a shot at whatever class buck u want. I don't remember all the pricing but it was $2,000 for a 120-130 class buck and like 6300 for a 190+ class buck. Personally, I don't have the money to spend 65 hundo on a deer hunt. But the 2000 I could swing. Have any of you guys tried this? Is it worth it? Does it even feel like hunting? I mean if they GUARENTEE u a shot at the buck you want . . . clearly its not going to feel challenging like going out in your own woods and watching a deer for months or whatever. Anyways, opinions?

I never been not my thing but what turns me off even more is instead of having one set price they do it by size of rack .

Which make it seem like your  getting to pick ahead of time like buying  a cow and then just  shooting something like in a barn almost .  At least if they had one set price and you took a bigger buck out of there it makes it more like a real hunt . 

I tried it once in pa. for hogs me and the guide:pleasantry: went in a gate he said stand here about five minutes later about 100 or more hogs,goats and deer came walking pasted me I picked one out drew and shot the arrow passed thru bounced off the ground and stuck in another hog.i had to pay for both hogs that was $1000. after that I started going down south for wild hog hunting much more rewarding .i gess the saying goes to each his own. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Tom Kelly offered an appropriate analogy in his book " The Tenth Legion"....

With my apologies to Col. Kelly, it went something like this...

The Sultan's  Son has been given the keys to his Dad's harem for the weekend...

A buck private has a weekend pass and $50 in his pocket...

They are both after the same thing...Which one do you suppose will have to employ greater skill and effort to achieve his goal ?

I'm taking the keys to the harem .

My nephew and family down in Tenn. clean up on good bucks . Here's his daughter with hers this year. Then one he shot in Texas on a canned hunt , he'll be the first to say the canned hunt is not like hunting , but he was there on business and had some free time . It scored I think 170, and cost was I THINK 10k, he has the coin to spare though .

image.jpeg

image.jpg

"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffled grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet, subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead."  

That is Aldo Leopold…I like to substitute a white-tailed deer for grouse. It's all about the wild. If it is not wild…I think I would rather play golf. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I tried it once in pa. for hogs me and the guide:pleasantry: went in a gate he said stand here about five minutes later about 100 or more hogs,goats and deer came walking pasted me I picked one out drew and shot the arrow passed thru bounced off the ground and stuck in another hog.i had to pay for both hogs that was $1000. after that I started going down south for wild hog hunting much more rewarding .i gess the saying goes to each his own. 

Just for the hell of it one of these days i am  going to try one of those cheep goat or hog hunts  i see online in pa or goat in NY.  Sometimes they have sales I saw as low as $500

That would be the most I would pay  for something like that and only because I never did it before.  I dont expect it to be like real hunting more like target practice at the range I would imagine. 

9 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Just for the hell of it one of these days i am  going to try one of those cheep goat or hog hunts  i see online in pa or goat in NY.  Sometimes they have sales I saw as low as $500

That would be the most I would pay  for something like that and only because I never did it before.  I dont expect it to be like real hunting more like target practice at the range I would imagine. 

the meat was good.

if you want to hunt wild hog down south give this place a look http://www.cypresscreekhunting.com/hunting/wild-boar/

• Thanks 1

I just don't see what the reward is in shooting a deer that you picked from a menu...just seems silly to me.

I've haven't killed any monster bucks (YET!) but when I do, the reason it will feel so rewarding is because of the difficulty and how long I waited...

That being said...if anyone has $6k that I could have to go hunt in Saskatchewan it would be much appreciated I don't believe those are fenced in though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

You know this is kind of a toss up, either you pay $5K for a guided hunt and maybe you don't pull the trigger or, you pay $5K and you shoot a nice buck for your wall. I can see why people do it. I would not drive to South Dakota to shoot Pheasants, I'll pay $15.00/bird to shoot them at a preserve.

And the more and more the DEC screws up the deer herd the more preserves are used.  Many of the better preserves in the state are sold out or low on numbers.

Its kinda a double edged sword for me, I hate to see the herd disappearing every year but i sure like selling out my animals every year$

Does anyone know if they have those  fenced hunts that make it a selling point to make it as real as possible with huge tracts of land and deer that are not use to being  close to people .

Or is that a failing business model  for those places just wondering?

Edited by Storm914