Canned Hunts

Iluvracks1359

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

To the guy who started the post there are plenty of 120’s to 130’s in NY. I wouldn’t waste my money on a canned hunt. You may have to travel and there are no guarantees but that’s why they call it hunting and not shooting.

I saw a few youtube home videos that guys filmed of them selfs hunting on those preserves seemed like they just wanted to try out there new gun or bow on a easy target  . Before real hunting season. 

Edited by Storm914

I remember years ago, one of the major networks did a hatchet job on hunting that they called "The Guns of Autumn" or something like that. The impression left was that all hunting consisted of canned hunts. I'm expecting another one of these assaults on hunting to be aired anytime. I really hate to be associated in any way with these kinds of representations in the name of hunting. I would have no problem with it as long as they didn't call it hunting.

What could possibly be the big thrill of resting your gun through the fence and drawing down on some deer laying there chewing its cud next to the feeding trough. I suppose it is the same mentality as those scum-bags that shoot farmer's horses and cows every year.

• Like 1

I remember years ago, one of the major networks did a hatchet job on hunting that they called "The Guns of Autumn" or something like that. The impression left was that all hunting consisted of canned hunts. I'm expecting another one of these assaults on hunting to be aired anytime. I really hate to be associated in any way with these kinds of representations in the name of hunting. I would have no problem with it as long as they didn't call it hunting.
What could possibly be the big thrill of resting your gun through the fence and drawing down on some deer laying there chewing its cud next to the feeding trough. I suppose it is the same mentality as those scum-bags that shoot farmer's horses and cows every year.
People really shoot farmers horses and cows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

People really shoot farmers horses and cows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The only story i ever heard of  was from a few years ago. Cops or State Troopers coyote hunting shot and maybe buried a horse?

Edited by Paula

Turning stone resort down the road from me started one of these. It's like $10000 to shoot a 200 inch buck or something.  I heard they were trying to bring in some of the celebrities for hunting. I think they did it wrong with all the land they own, cpulve set up nice lodge with scouted stands and free range deer. If I won the lotto I still wouldn't go there.  I can't even bring myself to go on a guided hunt cause it doesn't feel the same.  Hunting to me is all about figuring out the puzzle for the reward.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm expecting another one of these assaults on hunting to be aired anytime.

Coming in the next month actually;

CNN bought the broadcast rights to a documentary called "Trophy" and is going to broadcast an edited version. Can't see them keeping the pro hunting messages contained and most neutral folks think the film is fairly balanced.

I've seen clips/bits/pieces and one of the featured hunters is a frequent poster on another hunting forum I post on.

His hunt for Lion is real and in a wild area; but one hunter is a real douche and shoots a Croc in an actual pen with all the stereotypical shortcomings one would expect.

Couple threads on the film on AfricanHunting.com for those inclined to look.

Cut the fence and let the deer out lol

Lol. Just the thought of many. They would have no problem shooting the same deer. It's the writing the check part that they have an issue with. Multi million dollar industry that only grows every year. I for one look forward to the growth. I can't raise enough as it is and after being able to retire in my 40's and having every day being a choice of me doing whatever it is I want to do I sure don't want to have to go get a job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think that these preserves serve an important function. It can be good training for a young person to observe his/her reaction to shooting, and dressing big game as well as  teaching safety issues. It's enjoyment for  disabled, or elderly person who can't, or  who can no longer get out to hunt on his/her own. It's also outdoor enjoyment  for any other gun owner who wants to go just to go and have fun.  I suspect that all, or most  participants support the 2nd amendment   and hunting  rights so I don't think that hunters who don't go to preserves should knock  them. They purchase firearms, ammo as well as making other hunting supported purchases., so hunters win.  I know a number of people who have gone to preserves and all of them freely admit to how and where they got their "trophies", and all of them are gun owners and hunters.

In addition, I would never use the term canned hunts, which, as I was told, was a term started by anti hunters. They win whenever  we  quote them, or we go after our own.

So in my opinion if someone wants to get some antlers on the wall, and that's how they want to do it they should go for it, have fun,  hang their trophies and tell their stories.

• Like 5

Not for me, but as long as they came by the money legally and ethically I have no problem with it.  A lot of people spend a lot of money on things I think are stupid and I'm sure I spend mine on stuff some people think is stupid.  Hell, I sometimes spend money on stuff I think is stupid!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shooting prey in an enclosed area is not hunting, this is why so many of us true hunters oppose it.  The other big issue we have is when others try to claim this deer as a legit trophy and post it on the internet as such.   Many of us spend hours and days setting up a location, scouting, trail cams and shooting and when we get a deer we have earned it.  When someone shoots an animal under fenced conditions then it is stated to be a legit hunt we get very upset because that type of hunting eliminated the chance of fair chase we so passionately support!  

That animal has no chance at fair chase so legitimate hunters will always oppose it as "Hunting".  Simply put you are shopping for meat with a bullet, no hunting involved.  

Personally I have no issue with others doing it as long as they don't pass it off as a legitimate hunt!  

• Like 2

Shooting prey in an enclosed area is not hunting, this is why so many of us true hunters oppose it.  The other big issue we have is when others try to claim this deer as a legit trophy and post it on the internet as such.   Many of us spend hours and days setting up a location, scouting, trail cams and shooting and when we get a deer we have earned it.  When someone shoots an animal under fenced conditions then it is stated to be a legit hunt we get very upset because that type of hunting eliminated the chance of fair chase we so passionately support!  
That animal has no chance at fair chase so legitimate hunters will always oppose it as "Hunting".  Simply put you are shopping for meat with a bullet, no hunting involved.  
Personally I have no issue with others doing it as long as they don't pass it off as a legitimate hunt!  

Fair chase has a huge amount of air in between the words. Fair chase is not hi tech cams sending you pics to your phone to come and shoot me? Many that bad mouth the high fence could not kill a buck pre picked out in a weeks time. That has been proven many times. It all comes down to land amounts pure and simple.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Fair chase has a huge amount of air in between the words. Fair chase is not hi tech cams sending you pics to your phone to come and shoot me? Many that bad mouth the high fence could not kill a buck pre picked out in a weeks time. That has been proven many times. It all comes down to land amounts pure and simple.

And a little luck. I would also add those deer in a canned hunt probably live pretty good, not having to deal with predators and starvation. I would imagine alot of time and money put into taking care of the herd

3 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

And a little luck. I would also add those deer in a canned hunt probably live pretty good, not having to deal with predators and starvation. I would imagine alot of time and money put into taking care of the herd

Sounds like the same life our dogs live.

The only problem I see is the people who do it and lie about how they got their trophy. I've killed many animals that were raised behind fences and in pens.....doesn't make a difference to me if it's a cow, chicken, pig or deer. I wouldn't drop thousands of dollars to do it, my money is better spent on vacations to tropical island's...but if that's what someone else wants to do, so be it.

It all has to do with where you go I guess. Not all hunting ranches are the same. My girlfriend uncle owns one. The pen is hundreds of acres and most of the deer in there are born in it. They are not hand fed, and they have the same fear of humans as any wild deer. When you book a hunt, you book for a certain class of deer and a certain number of days. They guide you, but there are no guarantees that you will see an animal in the class you are there to shoot. They run doe hunts also, as their herd needs to be managed. They also do hunts for specific deer that they get on trail cams, again, no guarantee that you will see that buck. This past year they started introducing red stag onto the property. None of them have seen any of the stags since September, even though they know they are in there. 

I don’t think it would be something that I would Enjoy anywhere near as much as I do Hunting normally, as I always Have, but I wont Knock anyone for doing it. As long as they are honest about how they killed the deer, I have No issues with it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

The only problem I see is the people who do it and lie about how they got their trophy. I've killed many animals that were raised behind fences and in pens.....doesn't make a difference to me if it's a cow, chicken, pig or deer. I wouldn't drop thousands of dollars to do it, my money is better spent on vacations to tropical island's...but if that's what someone else wants to do, so be it.

I agree, my nephew has no,problem killing very nice free range bucks , but if he's out of town and has time he has time he'll go whack one . He's honest about it , its kinda like how some will buy a t shirt or other souvenir .

I can understand why people would do a fenced hunt. As far as I'm concerned I could never PAY to get a deer, 200" or not. I also feel as you lose the reality of the hunt when they are caged in with you. The only "guided" hunt I would ever want to do is a fair chase in Saskatchewan. Something about freezing your nuts off at the chance at a 300# deer sounds fun to me. My favorite part of the sask deer is they can be 300# and 180" yet the racks make them look like 2.5 yr old 120's compared to the body. Yep, I'd pay to get a chocolate racked sask monster. High fence 200, nah I'm good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I can understand why people would do a fenced hunt. As far as I'm concerned I could never PAY to get a deer, 200" or not. I also feel as you lose the reality of the hunt when they are caged in with you. The only "guided" hunt I would ever want to do is a fair chase in Saskatchewan. Something about freezing your nuts off at the chance at a 300# deer sounds fun to me. My favorite part of the sask deer is they can be 300# and 180" yet the racks make them look like 2.5 yr old 120's compared to the body. Yep, I'd pay to get a chocolate racked sask monster. High fence 200, nah I'm good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fair chase??? Let's not forget about that bale of Alfalfa you will shooting that 300lbs buck from! When there is no Alfalfa with a couple hundred mikes of the place

• Like 2