Sorel boots?

crappyice

Full disclosure: my sister in law swears by them BUT she is NOT a hunter. Anyone hunt in Sorel Boots or are the just some hype boot for uppity suburban outdoorsman”??? They ain’t cheap but after today I need something better than what I got (frostbite after 45 min in 25 degree temps)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They make real a wide variety of boots, from cheap "winter boots" for kids, to pac boots that you could wear mushing a dog team.  I have owned some very good Sorel pac boots with a rubber lower and a leather upper.  I have switched to Baffin Trappers for ice fishing, which are an all rubber boot with a removable wool liner.  

If I did buy a pair of pac boots for hiking in the snow (not slush), I would most likely buy Sorels.  I like the Sorel Caribou and "1964".

I still have a pair, bought back in the 80's. They were THE best hunting boots at the time, felt inserts kept your feet warm. I believe today's boots use better insulation, I can stay out a lot longer now than I did back when I wore the Sorels. For some strange reason, I can't bring myself to toss them out.

Sorel's are a good brand and were my go to winter boot for many years. The 'originals' at least my originals had thick removable wool felt liners.  In the past several years I have switched to Muck boots which have neoprene rubber insulation I believe. They are warm and waterproof.  For really cold day sits in the blind I stick a toe warmer (activated charcoal) on each sock before sticking it in the boot.

Edited by OldNewbie

I have a pair of Sorels and my feet have never been cold while wearing them, a good pair of wool socks and that thick wool felt Sorel liner makes an unbeatable combo for keeping your feet warm. They would be a great choice for stand hunting, ice fishing or snowmobiling. Because of the thick insulation they have they are a very heavy bulky boot and for me not well suited for going on long hikes where I would prefer something less bulky and lighter. If I am moving around some and walking my feet stay warm with almost any decent hunting boot that has some moderate insulation and good wool socks without all the weight.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Sorel is a great boot company!  I had a pair of Sorels for about 25 years...they don't die.  However I think todays market has some companies that offer boots that are considerably warmer.  I have a pair of Kamik pack boots which are much warmer than the Sorel premiums that I had.  If I buy another pair of cold weather boots, I will check back on Baffin- their boots are super for cold weather.I had a pair of them years ago when we had our store and they are really good, warm boots.  I found both of these boots to be much better than Sorel.

I have had a pair of Sorel Chieftain, pac boots since the 80's. They are big, tough to drive in, gather mud until your tracks look like sasquatch, but WARM ! These are my go to boots for stand sitting or seriously cold weather.

I've had Sorels since the mid 1970's and used them for everything from construction work to hunting, hiking and snowshoeing to ice fishing. The pair I have now is probably 25 years old or so and is still my go-to cold weather boot. That said, I can't speak to the quality of their boots today because other than the felt liners I haven't had to replace the old ones.

I wore a pair of Sorel Caribous for about twenty years, and never had a warmer boot. I simplty wore them out.

I cant affort a new pair, and since haven't had another boot to compare. Closest were a pair of Cabelas rubber packs, I don't remember how much insulation , but it was their coldest rated boot. Only benefit the rubber boots had was being totally waterproof to the top, and being a bit higher.

A great boot back in the day, kept my feet warm and I still have a pair I use to shovel or wear when I work in the garage.  The down side for hunting is that they are not very water proof and they are heavy and don't have great ankle support or traction.  I picked up a pair of Danner high ground 1000gr this fall and they are my "go to boot" for deer hunting. Warm, light, waterproof, great traction and very comfortable.

Sorels were my go to cold weather boots for years. They were always warm, I would change the liners at noon and I was good for all day. The only problem was when I started hunting Clarence. They are not good in deep water and if you know anything about Clarence it is flat and poor drainage therefore you have to wear rubber boots. I now wear a pair of Rangers, got them at Lockport Outdoor store. They have a removable foam/polyester liner, all rubber exterior, and they are warm! A little bulky and not the best arch support but you have to trade off something for waterproof and warm.

I have worn Sorel boots for years. The original ones were made in Canada and were very well made and really warm. Now, like almost everything else, they are made in China. I would not buy the new ones but luckily I still have several pair of old ones that I still use for cold weather sits.