Looking for Ideas: Cured Venison Tenderloin

Rebel Darling

Anyone out there ever cure venison tenderloin? I just had the idea to serve it up as a Christmas Eve appetizer (maybe New Year's if more time is required).

Anyone with experience, or suggestions out there?

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

Curing a piece of meat that large will take a month or so. Also do you have a safe place to do
This ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

Curing a piece of meat that large will take a month or so. Also do you have a safe place to do
This ?

Won't take a month.  Tenderloin is not that thick.  My roasts only take 14 days. 

This ?

Thought about messaging you directly right after I hit "post."

Preliminary research is saying that I should use a bigger piece of meat, and take longer...

What do you mean by "safe place"? Controlled temps / humidity? If so, probably not.

2 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

How cured are we talking here? To make a bresola. Type cure ur would take months

Well he's thinking about having this for Xmas, so it's definitely not going to be a dry cure like a dried sausage which uses cure # 2 and needs to have the proper humidity. 

Thought about messaging you directly right after I hit "post."

Preliminary research is saying that I should use a bigger piece of meat, and take longer...

What do you mean by "safe place"? Controlled temps / humidity? If so, probably not.

Yes controlled temp and humidity. And old fridge can work great. Yes as mowin says you could do a brine and make pastrami. For a dry cure you would need a lot more time.... I’ve always wanted to do a venison dry cure but haven’t done it yet

Just for clarification, are talking  actual "inside" tenderloins, or loins/backstraps ?  Locally, when someone mentions tenderloins they are usually referring to the backstraps...

I figured that was the case here... I used to
Correct people but now kind of feel like a ass when I do

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I've done the same thing a few times, only to be told, well that's what we call em.  Lol

9 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I wasn't trying to correct anyone...Just wondered what cut was being discussed...Big difference in the size..  Kinda like comparing my Johnson to John Holmes...Hehehehe...

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to correct anyone...Just wondered what cut was being discussed...Big difference in the size..  Kinda like comparing my Johnson to John Holmes...Hehehehe...

I know right I make John look like a 2yr old lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You do realize, that curing will change the texture a little, but change the taste quite a bit. 

That's what I'm after... Many thanks.

I think the idea came a little too late, but will take a peak at the pastrami recipe tomorrow and make a decision for the holidays.

3 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

That's what I'm after... Many thanks.

I think the idea came a little too late, but will take a peak at the pastrami recipe tomorrow and make a decision for the holidays.

Seeing your doing the inner tenders, they will cure in a few days, especially if you have a brine needle and inject them with the brine solution.  Think you'll be fine with a 3-4 day cure.  The backstraps would take 5-7 if you inject. 

Seeing your doing the inner tenders, they will cure in a few days, especially if you have a brine needle and inject them with the brine solution.  Think you'll be fine with a 3-4 day cure.  The backstraps would take 5-7 if you inject. 

Mowin you are talking about a brine not a cure. These are two different concepts.

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Mowin you are talking about a brine not a cure. These are two different concepts.

Yes a cure, as my recipe has cure #1.  

If it wasn't a emersion brine/cure, but a dry rub brine/cure, I would add several days.

The recipe I directed him to is a emersion brine/cure. 

Edited by mowin