NRA Bulleye Pistol Comp

I've posted here before, but bulleye pistol matches can take place at local club leagues, traveling leagues, or sanctioned competitions.  basically, it's shooting a 22LR pistol one handed. 16ish yards away. 3 courses of fire; slow, timed, and rapid. 10 shots for each course. 10 minutes for first course. timed fire is (2) strings of 5 shots each string being shot in 20 seconds. rapid fire is (2) strings of 5 shots each string being shot in 10 seconds. targets are different for slow fire vs timed and rapid. bullseye is about the size of your thumbnail.

anyone participate in these?

I shot in a 14 team winter indoor league back mid seventies to mid eighties. The first season I shot a 6 inch barrel model 17 S&W revolver and decided I liked doing it so I upgraded to a more traditional competition pistol, a High Standard Victor. A few of seasons later I shot a couple of S&W model 41s owned by other shooters, liked it better than the Victor and had to have one so I purchased a 7 inch model, decked it out by putting on target grips, did a trigger job and also had a 2X Leupold scope mounted. 

For me pistol shooting was the hardest of all firearms to master, it also was my best teacher on how to become a good shot with all firearms. Started out with a Marksman classification and inched my way to Sharpshooter and after 10 years my last year of competition I finally made it to a  Expert classification and the team I was on came it first place.

I would recommend it to anyone if they have the chance to give it a go, it is fun and you will become a better shot.

Al

Edited by airedale

• 2 weeks later...

I share the same thoughts.  I don't plan on upgrading pistols.  currently shoot a Ruger Mark III hunter with a 6" barrel.  benched the gun can keep them all in the slow fire 10 ring or X ring on time/rapid fire targets. I've put Herett National grips on it.  I've picked up JB Weld Wood Putty form it to fit better.  job for the off season though. trigger still stock. heavy but crisp enough. thinking about changing it out or having work done to it, just low on the list.  many of the pistols I've seen used are now classified as an assault weapon by the SAFE Act with the placement of the magazine.  I did add an UltraDot red dot on it too.  I just really started shooting pistols 4 yrs ago and jumped right into it the first year.  i'm sharpshooter now.  I don't think i'd take it seriously enough to get past Expert. if I even make it to that average wise, not individual scores. don't know many Masters really at all, even shooting the Adirondack Foothills traveling league.