NO MORE Grizzly Hunting in B.C.

BizCT

The NDP has always been the party of the left. Its first leader was Tommy Douglas who while premier of Saskatchewan instituted Canada's first universal health care program. A few years ago when a nation-wide survey was taken to name "The Greatest Canadian", Douglas won handily.

I was hoping for Stompin' Tom Conners.

I don’t know much about grizzly hunting or Canadian hunting other than what I’ve seen on shows like meateater, but I always thought a big economic resource for Canada was hunting and fishing. Shit I know what we spend just to walleye fish for a week in northern Quebec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The guy I hunted Lynx with years ago in B.C. (middle of nowhere- 3+ hours from town) had just gotten a few grizzly tags last year after many years of trying to fight for them. It was going to result in a big increase in income for him having 2-3 hunters come pay him $10-$15K each. Now it's all gone again.

I think the technicality is that you can still hunt grizzlies in BC, but the new regulations demand that hunters harvest the meat and leave the so-called "trophy" items behind (hide, skull).  If they had just rewritten the existing game laws to require that the meat be salvaged, i think there might have been a little bit of grumbling but otherwise everyone (hunters/conservationists and even most non-hunters) would've been on board.  

Unfortunately, it sounds like this law was motivated purely by activist groups wanting to curtain the grizzly hunt in BC.  You can take the trophy items from a cougar or elk, but not for a grizzly; makes about zero sense in my view since the grizzly numbers are doing very well in that region.  Meanwhile, grizzlies are getting de-listed in Montana and Wyoming and state agencies are setting up hunting seasons.  We make progress in one area, and lose a few in another.

35 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

I think the technicality is that you can still hunt grizzlies in BC, but the new regulations demand that hunters harvest the meat and leave the so-called "trophy" items behind (hide, skull).  If they had just rewritten the existing game laws to require that the meat be salvaged, i think there might have been a little bit of grumbling but otherwise everyone (hunters/conservationists and even most non-hunters) would've been on board.  

Unfortunately, it sounds like this law was motivated purely by activist groups wanting to curtain the grizzly hunt in BC.  You can take the trophy items from a cougar or elk, but not for a grizzly; makes about zero sense in my view since the grizzly numbers are doing very well in that region.  Meanwhile, grizzlies are getting de-listed in Montana and Wyoming and state agencies are setting up hunting seasons.  We make progress in one area, and lose a few in another.

I think native Canadian Indians can still hunt them as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

That was the version i heard as well , trophy items can not be harvested .

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gotta think this will skyrocket the prices of Grizzly hunts elsewhere now.

Insane numbers now for some hunts.....They'll sell quota out between DSC and SCI shows.

Had a very nice offer in 2015 but was headed to New Zealand and couldn't re arrange dates.:sorry:

Couple cancellations came up this year for very good discounts, it'll be interesting to see if those even make to my email this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Until the mauling's get out of control then they will say we need hunters.  Shame but this is how liberals take over something they really have no clue on.  

That is exactly what happened in New Jersey .

Well look at the bright side in a few years the hunting for bear up there will be great when they finally come to there senses and bring hunting  back.

18 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Honestly, at the risk of sounding like a non-law abiding citizen, i'd look into what the fine is and if it's not $10k, i'd just take the skull and hide anyhow. I'd have always taken the meat anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 4:42 PM, Padre86 said:

Nope. If you read about it, they made the no trophy law back in August. This is a new law that ends grizzly hunting for everyone except people of the first nations.