Ticks are active in cooler

the blur

Dog ticks disappear in cold weather but not deer ticks. They stay in the brush piles under snow is what I've read. Not super active but alive and well insulated under the snow. As soon as temps go up or snow melts they go back to being active. 

I think drying out is their only real danger. 

What freaks me out more is when I see them crawling around my pants legs even though I keep my clothes soaked in permethrin. 

I really hope they haven't found a way to become immune to that stuff. 

1 hour ago, Paula said:

Yes. 

I have never heard of dog ticks, deer ticks and ticks I have heard of. 

lone star ticks named for the spot on there backs  i think and the dreaded American dog tick. there are a few more kinds i just dont know what there names are you could google it for more info

• Like 1

16 hours ago, uberyan said:

Dog ticks disappear in cold weather but not deer ticks. They stay in the brush piles under snow is what I've read. Not super active but alive and well insulated under the snow. As soon as temps go up or snow melts they go back to being active. 

I think drying out is their only real danger. 

What freaks me out more is when I see them crawling around my pants legs even though I keep my clothes soaked in permethrin. 

I really hope they haven't found a way to become immune to that stuff. 

Two things. Just because a tick does not die right before your eyes does not mean that it hasn't picked up a lethal dose. Secondly, there has been some reported Pyrethroid resistance in some tick species. I do not (however) think it's a major issue................ yet! 

There are MANY kinds of ticks. Geography is the largest indicator of what you could be exposed to.

Ticks can live in the cold. However, the colder it is the less they “do” and extreme cold will kill them. They make it through on hosts or being insulated by snow or some other way. A super cold winter with little snow is the best recipe to lower their numbers this time of year and then proceeding.

Do you mean Permethrin?

There are catalogs of books on ticks and their related vector/disease capabilities. One article not that long ago said they were alive during the time of dinosaurs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk