Hunters arrested in Columbia county

mowin

20 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There are plenty of game animals that you can legally shoot with a light after dark, and its plenty safe unless you are being stupid. I dont read anything in the article that brings up a safety concern, its the poaching of deer thats the issue. I also dont think a felony charge is in order, we are talking about deer being killed, not people. Rack the fines up there, do not allow them to buy sporting licenses, maybe even take their guns away for a certain amount of time, but change their lives forever over some deer? Thats way too extreme IMO.

I agree but would like to see forfeiture or anything utilized in the crime.  gun/bow-gone...vehicle-gone....House?

But I also struggle with other things that I know goes on and can about justify it in my head.  Guys shooting deer to feed the family.  I know it is viewed differently by LEO's if there isn't a big stink made. Don't be  bragging in the bar, don't be like these douchebags and trophy poaching. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I agree but would like to see forfeiture or anything utilized in the crime.  gun/bow-gone...vehicle-gone....House?

But I also struggle with other things that I know goes on and can about justify it in my head.  Guys shooting deer to feed the family.  I know it is viewed differently by LEO's if there isn't a big stink made. Don't be  bragging in the bar, don't be like these douchebags and trophy poaching. 

So you are saying it really makes a diff which deer they shoot?  Like the statement above that SIZE of deer should represent the amount of time/fine.  So more or less you are saying that the BIG buck matter but little does not.

But then in the next breath oh so many say that...Its not all about the size of the rack..Blah,Blah,Blah  

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

IMO, once a light is involved in the actual shots being fired at a game animal after dark, it should be a felony. "Jacking" deer with a light is not a case of someone giving in to temptation. It is a deliberate, premeditated plan to break the law. And then there is the safety aspect to livestock & otherwise.

They also used night vision.  Their actions were deliberately intended to break the hunting laws and should be punished severely.   Large fines and loss of firearms & equipment used in the commission of the crime plus a lifetime ban from hunting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The max penalty is 1 year in the klink and $2000 in fines. By the time all is said and done, they will spend next to no time in jail, and $2000 is a bargain for 8 bucks. Cant go into a high fence place and shoot a "management" buck for that price. What a joke.

Yes, the fine is a joke, but the jail time should be used to make that joke a lot less funny.  Hopefully, the revised law will address the pitiful fines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

So you are saying it really makes a diff which deer they shoot?  Like the statement above that SIZE of deer should represent the amount of time/fine.  So more or less you are saying that the BIG buck matter but little does not.

But then in the next breath oh so many say that...Its not all about the size of the rack..Blah,Blah,Blah  

Jeez what else did he say that he didnt actually type?

Nah. You kind of missed my dilemma. It isn’t so much about the deer but more about the use of he deer I guess. I know that technically there is t a real difference but I am conflicted putting a guy shooting deer to feed their family because they are in a rough spot VS a guy doing it to put horns on the wall or putting it off as a legally taken deer. I have spent years up in your neck of the woods and it his band of mine he State from you east to Vermont boarder hold a lot of folks that do put needed venison on the table regardless of season or method. I know it sounds pretty liberal(which is out of character for me. Lol) but it feels different.

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Nah. You kind of missed my dilemma. It isn’t so much about the deer but more about the use of he deer I guess. I know that technically there is t a real difference but I am conflicted putting a guy shooting deer to feed their family because they are in a rough spot VS a guy doing it to put horns on the wall or putting it off as a legally taken deer. I have spent years up in your neck of the woods and it his band of mine he State from you east to Vermont boarder hold a lot of folks that do put needed venison on the table regardless of season or method. I know it sounds pretty liberal(which is out of character for me. Lol) but it feels different.

LOL....Ya a person could put a spin on it with a few different words added but breaking the law is just that regardless and we know other states rank their fines based on the inches of antler on their head.  Thats because 99% of hunter base their hunting and spend their money in pursuit of trophy antlers and the states know it.  Many here also know it but like to fall back on the other line when they fail to drop that big buck.

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I agree, except the house, that IMO would be taking it too far. Again, these are just deer we are talking about.

LOL....Ya a person could put a spin on it with a few different words added but breaking the law is just that regardless and we know other states rank their fines based on the inches of antler on their head.  Thats because 99% of hunter base their hunting and spend their money in pursuit of trophy antlers and the states know it.  Many here also know it but like to fall back on the other line when they fail to drop that big buck.

Many states do scale the fines based on Anyler size. I wish we had done it that way.

1 minute ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I wish I had a dollar for every time you've said this on this forum.  It was false the first time you said it and it still is this time.  Yeah, some guys go crazy over antlers, but I can assure you it's nowhere near 99%.  Most people are smart enough to realize they will probably never meet up with a monster buck with the limited time they can devote to hunting.  The majority of hunters are happy to get any deer at all, me being one of them.  You want to believe it's 99% since big antlers are your livelihood, but I can assure you it's not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Yes, the fine is a joke, but the jail time should be used to make that joke a lot less funny.  Hopefully, the revised law will address the pitiful fines.

Apparently you dont know how jail time works with misdemeanors. They would end up serving next to nothing.

Say they were convicted and sentenced to 1 year in jail. With good behavior on a non violent or sex related crime, they might server a couple of months tops. With some sort of plea bargain, they would most likely not see the inside of a cell at all.

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I wish I had a dollar for every time you've said this on this forum.  It was false the first time you said it and it still is this time.  Yeah, some guys go crazy over antlers, but I can assure you it's nowhere near 99%.  Most people are smart enough to realize they will probably never meet up with a monster buck with the limited time they can devote to hunting.  The majority of hunters are happy to get any deer at all, me being one of them.  You want to believe it's 99% since big antlers are your livelihood, but I can assure you it's not.

You are Nut,s...You are one of the few that say they are not after the biggest buck they can find...Hell even Bizz has upped his game because he has now came to see whats on his property and has even now grown food plots.   You are one of the ones that will take whatever you can get but really you are wishing for the biggest out there.  You just have to deal with the fact that some just cant get it done regardless if they have plenty of big ones.

Again the antlers you speak of in my business can never be spoken in the same sentence as wild deer in the state of Ny because that will never be able to be matched.

8 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Apparently you dont know how jail time works with misdemeanors. They would end up serving next to nothing.

Say they were convicted and sentenced to 1 year in jail. With good behavior on a non violent or sex related crime, they might server a couple of months tops. With some sort of plea bargain, they would most likely not see the inside of a cell at all.

A couple months in hell might have a decent effect on some guys. Also you never know what the sentence will be because there a few different circumstances that come into play such as who the judge is, prior arrests, and who is pushing for a stiff sentence. Not to mention loss of a job and more, loosing a house is a definite possibility while locked up. But, criminals don't worry about consequences no matter the crime.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve863 said:

96.5% of stats are made up, unless its on the internet then its true 100%.

If his odd statement were true, NO ONE would kill anything short of giants.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

You are Nut,s...You are one of the few that say they are not after the biggest buck they can find...Hell even Bizz has upped his game because he has now came to see whats on his property and has even now grown food plots.   You are one of the ones that will take whatever you can get but really you are wishing for the biggest out there.  You just have to deal with the fact that some just cant get it done regardless if they have plenty of big ones.

Again the antlers you speak of in my business can never be spoken in the same sentence as wild deer in the state of Ny because that will never be able to be matched.

I am nuts for not being after the biggest buck I can find??  You are full of yourself and full of $#!+.  That's really the only reply I could give you here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

A couple months in hell might have a decent effect on some guys. Also you never know what the sentence will be because there a few different circumstances that come into play such as who the judge is, prior arrests, and who is pushing for a stiff sentence. Not to mention loss of a job and more, loosing a house is a definite possibility while locked up. But, criminals don't worry about consequences no matter the crime.

Oh I agree, but like I said, Id bet they dont end up in jail at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I am nuts for not being after the biggest buck I can find??  You are full of yourself and full of $#!+.  That's really the only reply I could give you here.

Hey dont blame me if you dont have what it takes. And if you are one of the ones that are its brown its down and fill tags for meat and you have to hunt the whole season to do that it speaks volumes 

And no your not nuts for not being after..Your nuts for not fessing up that even though you are out there for something you are wishing for the biggest out there. But it never turns out that way.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

23 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Its hard to go to jail, unless you evade taxes

Its a shame when people are out there poaching deer. It can grind your gears when people do stupid things such as this, and trespassing, and hunting in different ways that you feel is not right.    In the big picture of things there is alot worse things occurring in this world that deserve law enforcements time and money. Sometimes we all need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture. People will always break the law but should we be spending big tax dollars on poaching or should we spend it on larger crimes that occur everyday. Humans are the most sadistic to each other. Funding is limited and you have to choose where it is best spent.

11 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Its a shame when people are out there poaching deer. It can grind your gears when people do stupid things such as this, and trespassing, and hunting in different ways that you feel is not right.    In the big picture of things there is alot worse things occurring in this world that deserve law enforcements time and money. Sometimes we all need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture. People will always break the law but should we be spending big tax dollars on poaching or should we spend it on larger crimes that occur everyday. Humans are the most sadistic to each other. Funding is limited and you have to choose where it is best spent.

Community service is another option.

14 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

Community service is another option.

I agree. That is much better. Volunteer services. But to lock them up and cost tax dollars that are not there isnt really feasible.  Fines are good if the person pays and maybe a deterrent however that fine money will not go towards dec. 

I know ECO Cox, in fact I graduated from high school with his Mom.  Just want to say thank you to Jeff and ECO Davey for doing an outstanding job.  Fines and forfeiture are a start, but I think a lifetime ban on hunting privileges and firearm ownership should be added.  The three are not hunters, they are shooters and thieves.  

Happy Holidays to the men & women of the NYS EnCon Police  Department.

• Thanks 1

these guys are going to get fines . are they going to be enough , nope.  and as far as paying by the inch , thats not really fair to the guy who poaches a doe to eat. Jail aint shit, all they would get would be local lockup and only for a month or two, if even.

I do think they should lose the truck and the guns. taking away their license would be a waste of time. they will hunt anyway, so at least get the revenue for the license.

More officers are needed, its the only way to stop it. i personally haven't seen a DEC officer in over twenty years.

now lets get on with arguing like little girls about who can and cant get it done. and whats the reason they dont or do.lil bitches thinking they know so much about somebody else . Grow up seasame street is down the road.