Catskills Vers Adirondacks

Hunter007

1 minute ago, bkln said:

Size matters I guess, Big Indian is probably the biggest area in Cats, just look at the map and compare the size... Plus ADK is more remote. That would be my bet.

Yea,but  it is still a big piece of public land compared to anything else around except the adks of course I guess know body  remembers number 2 .:taunt: 

• Like 1

One difference is that the ADK's are 3.5 times the size making them more vast. In my opinion there is something more majestic about the ADK's that I don't get with the Catskills. But, for most hunters either one can be intimidating and considered big woods hunting. There are big bucks in both mountain ranges so far in that they have never been seen by a human and probably never will.

• Like 1

For folks who do not have private land at all to shoot, Catskills look pretty good.  I live in the catskills, but prefer to hunt in the ADKs.   Mainly because their season is early.  If I find a nice one up there, I shoot.  If I don't, I know I can get a nice one much easier in the souther zone during the southern zone's later start date.....

They're trying the 3pt a side restriction in the catskills to drum up hunting for recreational income coming to the area.  The old catskills is not the same as today's.  Farmland cut to fraction of what it used to be coupled with no logging makes it rough to hunt.  I have spent many hours in the windham area.  I have cut huge areas into square a week after a snow storm and have found many of them not to contain a single footstep of a deer.......

I have aslo seen a public place that was logged 5 years ago come alive with deer and grouse again.........

I hunt on a logging lease with some typle joe schmoe hunters.  They love driving their ATV's 30 yards away from their treestand.....  This is why many travel to the ADK's, to hunt on managed timber stands and to play with their ATV's before and during ATV season..........

If they added a muzzleloading season in the catskills 1 week before rifle, then folks would really warm up to the place again.  But in places with no deer in 70ft tall almost dead norway spruce stands, no point restriction in the world will fix that..................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sailinghudson25 said:

For folks who do not have private land at all to shoot, Catskills look pretty good.  I live in the catskills, but prefer to hunt in the ADKs.   Mainly because their season is early.  If I find a nice one up there, I shoot.  If I don't, I know I can get a nice one much easier in the souther zone during the southern zone's later start date.....

They're trying the 3pt a side restriction in the catskills to drum up hunting for recreational income coming to the area.  The old catskills is not the same as today's.  Farmland cut to fraction of what it used to be coupled with no logging makes it rough to hunt.  I have spent many hours in the windham area.  I have cut huge areas into square a week after a snow storm and have found many of them not to contain a single footstep of a deer.......

I have aslo seen a public place that was logged 5 years ago come alive with deer and grouse again.........

I hunt on a logging lease with some typle joe schmoe hunters.  They love driving their ATV's 30 yards away from their treestand.....  This is why many travel to the ADK's, to hunt on managed timber stands and to play with their ATV's before and during ATV season..........

If they added a muzzleloading season in the catskills 1 week before rifle, then folks would really warm up to the place again.  But in places with no deer in 70ft tall almost dead norway spruce stands, no point restriction in the world will fix that..................

The first deer  hunting I ever did was in Roscoe in the  Catskills that I can  remember  when I was a kid with my dad and cousins. 

Since then over 35 years ago I have not hunted there as much I either go farther north and west or south of there .