I sinned......

First-light

So this year I saw the biggest buck in my life last day of bow season. 1 other person from another camp also saw this deer this year. Nobody 

reported it shot so I hope he made it. We left camp the third day into muzzleloader season. Before coming up I collected a bunch of pumpkins and semi rotten apples.

Changed the cards and batteries in the two cams and spread out the bounty hoping to see if he is still around. I know you are not allowed to do this in NYS but what the hell. Last few days

and it might help some critters along. Go ahead and kill me I deserve it! lol

• Like 4

I live in a glass house. I will not throw a stone. I see my own imperfections. And can only try to improve myself. With 44 hunting seasons behind me, I will say my ethics have never wavered. But did I follow the exact letter of the law a time or two during that time? No. I'm not perfect.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 5

So this year I saw the biggest buck in my life last day of bow season. 1 other person from another camp also saw this deer this year. Nobody 
reported it shot so I hope he made it. We left camp the third day into muzzleloader season. Before coming up I collected a bunch of pumpkins and semi rotten apples.
Changed the cards and batteries in the two cams and spread out the bounty hoping to see if he is still around. I know you are not allowed to do this in NYS but what the hell. Last few days

Would that be the same as. Someone putting a few big round bales of Alfalfa in a couple prime winter yarding areas? Lol. Repent I say. Repent. Maybe Wolc will come over and raise his holy hand and beg for forgiveness for us. You have it right with your comment on those 2 above for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, First-light said:

So, you just announced to the Universe that you are illegally baiting deer?

So BUrt, you thought I was giving you $#!+, huh?   LOL  Wait until the others pile it on you here.  You would have been better off telling your sins to a priest in a confessional booth.  Worst you would have gotten is maybe 10 "Our Fathers" and 10 " Hail Mary's" and that would include all your other sins you probably don't want to share with us.  Now you are being labeled a lawbreaker, baiter and a poacher here!  LOL   

• Like 1

Well in reality you just hurt the animals you wanted to help.. unless They are use to eating pumpkin and Apple's they will fill their bellies and starve as they don't have bacteria to digest them.. and while you were gone the neighborhood trespassers shot it off your baitpile and you'll never know about it...

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Well in reality you just hurt the animals you wanted to help.. unless They are use to eating pumpkin and Apple's they will fill their bellies and starve as they don't have bacteria to digest them.. and while you were gone the neighborhood trespassers shot it off your baitpile and you'll never know about it...

Deer are still eating apples off my trees. 

• Like 1

I'll make no bones about, during those 2 long horrifically cold winters we had, I may accidentally have dropped some bags of corn in the woods to help out the starving critters.  Stories of mass starvation across the state got to me. I have no regrets 

Incidentally, doe numbers still seem not to have recovered to pre Snowvember levels

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Interesting thread here:

Fellows, I am the co owner of Shock Effect Whitetail Probiotics. We specialize in whitetail nutrition. We have been raising whitetail for over 25 years. I can tell you we have experimented with feeding straight corn in test pens for long periods of time with no ill effect. Corn is a good carbohydrate feed source. We have ran stomach acid replication test to see how well the corn digested. There where no real issues. With that said it is the worse thing you can feed a deer when it comes to antler growth. Corn is around 10.5% protein, 3.5% fat and 2.9% fiber. It does work very well when mixed with other high nutritional products because of it attractant value. We spent a lot of time and money developing a probiotic (beneficial bacteria) based supplement to help improve the rumen's efficiency. We currently have a product called Antler Maximizer which is the top supplement being used in the whitetail breeding world. The majority of the deer scoring over 500" are on this product. It is now available to the free range deer in a product called Shock Effect Antler Enhancer. It is the same formula with a different name. You can check these and the other products we make at shockeffectwhitetail.com. If you check out the sight be sure and check the box saying you found us on Archerytalk. Its on the bottom right of the home page.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2439581&page=3

3 minutes ago, Papist said:

The sugars in the corn can effect deer in the winter months but I don't think unless they were eating only that for months on end you would see a problem.

To be honest I doubt there is an individual that hasn't thrown an old apple core or something of the sort on the ground while hunting. During apple season I usually eat 1 or 2 apples while in stand for the entire deer season and throw the cores onto the ground. Actually had an apple fall out of my bag while putting cameras up and had a fox piss on it and mark it his. Fisher decided he would also see what's up.

10160214.JPG

10160200.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Would that be the same as. Someone putting a few big round bales of Alfalfa in a couple prime winter yarding areas? Lol. Repent I say. Repent. Maybe Wolc will come over and raise his holy hand and beg for forgiveness for us. You have it right with your comment on those 2 above for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If those round bales were baled, net wrapped, and still on the field in the original drop spot since September, do you think it's a sin? Been quite the year for haying. I feel bad, LOL.

• Like 1