I sinned......

First-light

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im not though. You said "Breaking the law is breaking the law." Speeding is breaking the law, baiting is breaking the law. According to what you said, its apples to apples.

My girlfriend says i drive like a little old man. Do i go with the flow of traffic yes do i run people over no. Never even got a ticket before. Would i bait no. Some people can talk themselves into anything tho when antler sickness hits them.

Look, you have to call an end to the day at some point. I would personally like it not to be up to each hunter's discretion. Personally, I have hunted locations and conditions where even legal shooting hours were a bit questionable. A heavy hemlock woods with heavy overcast or rain can become pretty darn challenging toward the beginning or end of legal shooting hours. Move those hours apart another another 1/2 hour on each end, and in those conditions you have a very hazardous situation.

The other thing that sometimes has me calling it quits early is the importance of finding that "first blood". I would just as soon not have to rely on flashlights to locate those initial drops of blood.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Look, you have to call an end to the day at some point. I would personally like it not to be up to each hunter's discretion. Personally, I have hunted locations and conditions where even legal shooting hours were a bit questionable. A heavy hemlock woods with heavy overcast or rain can become pretty darn challenging toward the beginning or end of legal shooting hours. Move those hours apart another another 1/2 hour on each end, and in those conditions you have a very hazardous situation.

The other thing that sometimes has me calling it quits early is the importance of finding that "first blood". I would just as soon not have to rely on flashlights to locate those initial drops of blood.

It works fine in almost every other state, it would work fine here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, erussell said:

My girlfriend says i drive like a little old man. Do i go with the flow of traffic yes do i run people over no. Never even got a ticket before. Would i bait no. Some people can talk themselves into anything tho when antler sickness hits them.

So then you speed. Doesnt matter if you have or havent gotten a ticket or if you are running people over, you are breaking the law. Thanks for the clarification.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It does work fine for the most part. cant say i know or see many walking out of the woods even on state land when the clock says its sunset. Dark is Dark and most know when that is. Yes there are a few assclowns that push the limit but that will happen regardless of any law on the book. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

It does work fine for the most part. cant say i know or see many walking out of the woods even on state land when the clock says its sunset. Dark is Dark and most know when that is. Yes there are a few assclowns that push the limit but that will happen regardless of any law on the book. 

And there still would be a set time in other states... there is no arbitrary "when the hunter thinks it's light enough or too dark" law. In fact, most other states offer a day by day schedule of what those times are in their game regulations... and they are strictly enforced. Not that I think it is bad to make one half hour before sunrise and after sunset the law, but letting hunters decide on their own idea of when to start or end would be asinine. 

1 minute ago, nyantler said:

And there still would be a set time in other states... there is no arbitrary "when the hunter thinks it's light enough or too dark" law. In fact, most other states offer a day by day schedule of what those times are in their game regulations... and they are strictly enforced. Not that I think it is bad to make one half hour before sunrise and after sunset the law, but letting hunters decide on their own idea of when to start or end would be asinine. 

I agree but my point and facts prove that most hunters start and stop when..They..think its time regardless of laws so the half before and after makes more sense 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

35 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

there is absolutely a level of accountability all hunters should have. If you feel you're responsible enough to carry a weapon, especially a firearm into the woods you should know when it's not ok to shoot even within legal hunting hours. This applies to shot placement and your ability and effort to track and recover the deer. I have shot deer in some horrifying areas. But I knew that going in. Light conditions should not be any different.

We've all sat in the woods perfectly able to see with still 20 or 10 minutes left until legal light. It's a joke. I shot this buck in MS on public land with a mz 22 minutes after sunset , legal light in MS is 30 before and after. Because there's an invisible line separating NY and MS makes it any less safe or ethical? 

001.thumb.JPG.50a3e924f75dd390e6776cf7411108d4.JPG

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I agree but my point and facts prove that most hunters start and stop when..They..think its time regardless of laws so the half before and after makes more sense 

Agreed, but with the penalty for breaking that law very stiff!

Edited by nyantler

1 hour ago, Belo said:

We've all sat in the woods perfectly able to see with still 20 or 10 minutes left until legal light. It's a joke. I shot this buck in MS on public land with a mz 22 minutes after sunset , legal light in MS is 30 before and after. Because there's an invisible line separating NY and MS makes it any less safe or ethical? 

001.thumb.JPG.50a3e924f75dd390e6776cf7411108d4.JPG

If it was to be made 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after , there are those that would push the envelope and shoot before and after these times . Where does it end ?  Why not just get night vision scopes ! :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

If it was to be made 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after , there are those that would push the envelope and shoot before and after these times . Where does it end ?  Why not just get night vision scopes ! :rolleyes:

I don't think they would. I think those that hunt sunlight to dark would still do the same, I know I would leave my gun loaded. I have to say that in the past I might have had my gun loaded after sunset. When my phone dies and I don't wear a watch so no way of telling what time it is and I'm not very good at it after the sun goes behind the mountain.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, erussell said:

There's no antler sickness here. You see something magnificent out in the woods I would like to get a picture of him, knowing there were no reports of him being taken. When I hear the word "bait" it means I'm out there to lure it in and kill it. This is not the case. You can keep on preaching how ethical you are which is great, have at it but don't call me a baiter. I've been around a long time and have seen a lot of unethical practices in the woods. This my friend is not. So unwind your panties and move on. Someone talked about hanging cams over gut piles. We all know deer will lick at the blood of other deer and are attracted to it, but this is ok? I was warned about the heat I would take which is ok but really some of you guy(s)................

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I sinned last night, I put back strap into the burger bin and is now going to become italian sausage.

I had my ML doe ground up completely. Had to take it to a processors because all of my stuff is packed up ready for the move. The guy looked at me funny when I told him I wanted everything ground up, even the backstraps and tenderloins.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I had my ML doe ground up completely. Had to take it to a processors because all of my stuff is packed up ready for the move. The guy looked at me funny when I told him I wanted everything ground up, even the backstraps and tenderloins.

A nice plump doe, all ground up? Now that is evil my friend!!!

Best of luck for a seamless move!  Congrats on the new place.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

i disagree. I've hunted for almost 20 years and never hunted 30 past, of course i'm in the woods well before 30 before including my time down south. Just this year i had a buck grunting in front of me during archery. It was a canopy covered, low light condition morning and was right around the 30 before. I never considered the shot. 

To be honest, anyone who would still shoot 30 past is doing it now anyhow. the law (which is hardly ever enforced unless spotlighters are caught) would just make a few more hunters who feel guilty about it a little more easy and put a few more on the ground for those that really do wait till 7:30 during late gun. I don't foresee more bad shots as a result. 

• Like 2

Most hunters live by the rule of..If its light enough for me to take a safe shot that will harvest that animal  i am taking that shot. Many nights a guy could sit in a tree on snow covered ground for an hour after sunset but i am sure most dont but i do know that they will not climb down at 440 in the afternoon when it is still plenty light out.

One can hear that about any night of the season.

• Like 5

Shucks, Bugsy, I was a master before I got out of sixth grade...

Probably set some kind of a record, if such things were recorded...<<GRIN>>...

My Mom told me I'd go blind if  I didn't stop, but I decided to wait until I needed glasses...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You should not be allowed to hunt ever again, revoke your license forever.

• Haha 1