I sinned......

First-light

10 hours ago, First-light said:

There's no antler sickness here. You see something magnificent out in the woods I would like to get a picture of him, knowing there were no reports of him being taken. When I hear the word "bait" it means I'm out there to lure it in and kill it. This is not the case. You can keep on preaching how ethical you are which is great, have at it but don't call me a baiter. I've been around a long time and have seen a lot of unethical practices in the woods. This my friend is not. So unwind your panties and move on. Someone talked about hanging cams over gut piles. We all know deer will lick at the blood of other deer and are attracted to it, but this is ok? I was warned about the heat I would take which is ok but really some of you guy(s)................

FB_IMG_1513994758672.jpg

It is pretty scary how many people think that game laws are just a suggestion and can be abided by only if they feel like it. I wonder what other laws they have found to be just a suggestion. I know that I will never feel completely secure when trying to walk home when the light is fading. It kind of makes you wonder what is in the minds of others who think they can see in the dark and just how far they are willing to push the envelope as you are walking by.

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised how many people seem to be terribly upset about the actions of others. If it's your own property do what you want, if you want to push the limits and shoot a few minutes after sunset (granted you know what your shooting and that it's 100 percent safe) then who cares. People should worry more about themselves! That's why it's personal ethics. 

And no I'm not saying I bait and shoot, shoot after legal times, etc. So you can save that line ^_^

• Like 6

Way back when nobody had a cell phone and you dont where a watch. Now its 1984 and your in a field full of snow tucked in real tight to a piece of farm equipment abandoned years ago and its five minutes past sunset and you have been watching this buck for twenty minutes because he just keeps getting closer every step.Lets remember ignorance of the law is not an excuse.Even if your speedometer is broke that cops gonna give it you when your speeding Now its only 45 yards away and he has stepped out into the open for a clear shot. We should have a pole to see how many people would lie and say they would not shoot and just walk away. I'll tell ya what i would have done.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, vizslas said:

Way back when nobody had a cell phone and you dont where a watch. Now its 1984 and your in a field full of snow tucked in real tight to a piece of farm equipment abandoned years ago and its five minutes past sunset and you have been watching this buck for twenty minutes because he just keeps getting closer every step.Lets remember ignorance of the law is not an excuse.Even if your speedometer is broke that cops gonna give it you when your speeding Now its only 45 yards away and he has stepped out into the open for a clear shot. We should have a pole to see how many people would lie and say they would not shoot and just walk away. I'll tell ya what i would have done.

Five minutes?

I know guys these days that hang in 30+ minutes after sunset before heading out.

One time in Lima, I was still in the stand about 10 minutes past sunset as I had deer around me and I didn't want to spook them.  My orange hat was visible from the road and all of a sudden this ass wipe starts yelling at the top of his nicotine choked lungs that it's past sunset, get out of the woods!  I was at least 300 yards away and PISSED.  By the time I got out he was long gone.......good damn thing.

Since that little escapade, I've been more aware of shooting hours but I ain't perfect.  The biggest worry I have is in low light conditions and looking only for antlerless deer is shooting a spike or similar racked dink by mistake.  That's a problem I look to avoid!

14 hours ago, Doc said:

It is pretty scary how many people think that game laws are just a suggestion and can be abided by only if they feel like it. I wonder what other laws they have found to be just a suggestion. I know that I will never feel completely secure when trying to walk home when the light is fading. It kind of makes you wonder what is in the minds of others who think they can see in the dark and just how far they are willing to push the envelope as you are walking by.

Always turn my flashlight on and whistle  on my way back to car if hunting state land or private. I dont trust anyone on state land lol. On private just In case of trespassers. I almost ran face first into one guy on a logging road on private property  in the dark once. I grabbed my light and turned it on and he took off running. Scared the crap out of me.  Lol

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BigVal said:

I'm actually surprised how many people seem to be terribly upset about the actions of others. If it's your own property do what you want, if you want to push the limits and shoot a few minutes after sunset (granted you know what your shooting and that it's 100 percent safe) then who cares. People should worry more about themselves! That's why it's personal ethics. 

And no I'm not saying I bait and shoot, shoot after legal times, etc. So you can save that line ^_^

Actually, when it comes to safety regulations like legal shooting hours, it is myself that I am worrying about. And that applies whether I am hunting my own land and trying to be protected from trespassers, or hunting public land. These people who are always talking about that cardinal rule of being sure of the target and what's beyond for some reason make exceptions when it comes to stretching the shooting hours into twilight conditions. I like the idea of minimum standards when it comes to safety. And I always like strict adherence to all hunting safety laws.

7 rounds in a mag, ban of Black scary guns, smoking weed, having to brush snow off your car, catalytic converter inspections

I’m a thug ass criminal.

Should I go on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Five minutes?
I know guys these days that hang in 30+ minutes after sunset before heading out.
One time in Lima, I was still in the stand about 10 minutes past sunset as I had deer around me and I didn't want to spook them.  My orange hat was visible from the road and all of a sudden this ass wipe starts yelling at the top of his nicotine choked lungs that it's past sunset, get out of the woods!  I was at least 300 yards away and PISSED.  By the time I got out he was long gone.......good damn thing.
Since that little escapade, I've been more aware of shooting hours but I ain't perfect.  The biggest worry I have is in low light conditions and looking only for antlerless deer is shooting a spike or similar racked dink by mistake.  That's a problem I look to avoid!

That’s why you take your orange off in the stand

• Like 1

I remember a time when I was heading home when a shot went off that was close enough to make me hit the dirt. It was after legal shooting hours, but apparently that guy thought he knew better than the law. I don't know if the shot was at me, or even toward me, but that little incident changed my whole perspective on legal shooting hours. Look, it doesn't matter how clear you can see a deer that is standing out in the middle of a hay lot. The standard applies back in a heavy over-story hemlock woods too. It applies just as much to that foggy, rainy, heavy overcast day as it does during a clear evening. And it is not all about how well you can see the deer, but also how well you can see what is behind the deer or back in the brush behind the deer.

I wonder what kind of fear and panic that guy that shot felt when he heard me cussing at the top of my lungs. I wonder if he realized what a stupid, wacked-out stunt that was. I hope he learned something from that incident. Maybe if we are all lucky, he learned that legal shooting hours is not just a suggestion that you abide by if it is convenient. Believe me, that deer is not worth finding a hunter's dead or wounded body when you go to begin blood-trailing.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 9:33 PM, Adkhunter1590 said:

I hunt dark to dark...if I can see, I’m shooting. Forget that sunrise to sunset crap. Sue me, crucify me, whatever makes someone feel better about themselves. But I’m still shooting, catch me if ya can

Im sure the guy who took that guys wife from him while she was walking her dogs said the same thing a few months ago.

• Like 2

Im sure the guy who took that guys wife from him while she was walking her dogs said the same thing a few months ago.

Unlike him I know what I’m doing. Also can bet I have better eye sight than just about anyone. Anyone who thinks 30 mins past sunset is too dark to see needs to head to their nearest eye doctor
  • Like 1

I remember a time when I was heading home when a shot went off that was close enough to make me hit the dirt. It was after legal shooting hours, but apparently that guy thought he knew better than the law. I don't know if the shot was at me, or even toward me, but that little incident changed my whole perspective on legal shooting hours. Look, it doesn't matter how clear you can see a deer that is standing out in the middle of a hay lot. The standard applies back in a heavy over-story hemlock woods too. It applies just as much to that foggy, rainy, heavy overcast day as it does during a clear evening. And it is not all about how well you can see the deer, but also how well you can see what is behind the deer or back in the brush behind the deer.
I wonder what kind of fear and panic that guy that shot felt when he heard me cussing at the top of my lungs. I wonder if he realized what a stupid, wacked-out stunt that was. I hope he learned something from that incident. Maybe if we are all lucky, he learned that legal shooting hours is not just a suggestion that you abide by if it is convenient. Believe me, that deer is not worth finding a hunter's dead or wounded body when you go to begin blood-trailing.
Typically you will hear the "whizz" of a bullet when it's heading by you. Especially a slug. Heard it twice. The second time it happened was in a giant area of thick redbrush, literally I hit the deck and "made ready" or in other words, got ready to shoot back. Thankfully I didn't have to. I won't soon forget how that conversation went when I finally crossed paths with the guy, and his dad, and about 8 other guys in their party. Looking back, I probably said some things I shouldn't have but I think I made my point. Another regret is that I was alone at the time and the only one who set his gun down. Good old seeing RED issue I have.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Unlike him I know what I’m doing. Also can bet I have better eye sight than just about anyone. Anyone who thinks 30 mins past sunset is too dark to see needs to head to their nearest eye doctor

I call BS on this . You had better hope that the guy on the property has the right corrective lens's if he is shooting 30 min past legal shooting hours . 

• Like 1

So what about those of us that have land in Sullivan county a Judge there decided that Food can be put out outside of hunting season... this state is a joke, I don’t bait...... but i sure would shoot 30 before and 30 after

• Like 1

I call BS on this . You had better hope that the guy on the property has the right corrective lens's if he is shooting 30 min past legal shooting hours . 

Lol what!? How in the hell can you not still see pretty damn well at 30 mins past. Unless your down in some bottom loaded with pines, you should still be able to see 100 yards or more depending on terrain. Almost every other state out there is 30 min past sunset, with very little if no problems because of it. Laws don’t fix stupid people. So for the rest of us who have a brain and are normal people can easily distinguish what’s dark and what’s not. Sunset is not dark, period. There’s still plenty of light left at 30 min past to make good clean kills. The range at which those kills can be made will vary from location to location, but you can still see damn good at 30 min past.
  • Like 3

30 minutes before and after sunrise and sunset might have been worth a discussion before this season.  The poacher who shot and killed the woman walking her dogs with his pistol this fall has effectively ended any consideration of that.    There is no point in debating it now, because it will not happen.   On the bright side, there are some nice perks to shooting deer in the "legal" light , including getting a little more sleep in the morning and always having a bit of daylight to find a blood trail in the evening.   Getting that extra half-hour at each end would reduce those perks.    

Why limit yourself to 30 minutes after sunset?  On certain full moon nights with snow on the ground there is enough light to see all night long.  Aside from the unfortunate woman who lost her life while walking her dog this year let us not forget about the conservation officer who was shot and nearly perished last year by someone "hunting" after hours.  Supposedly that CO was thought to be a deer.  I'm sure the DEC officers have no sense of humor about this matter and enforce it strictly.  I used to live and hunt in Pa where one could shoot 30 minutes before sunrise.  On some cloudy days it could be pitch black and I still heard shots.  Crazy stuff, in my opinion.

jperch

• Like 2

Tell that to the conservation officer while he is writing the ticket. :danced:

The chances of that ever happening to me are slim to none. Being caught by DEC doing anything is slim to none. They are spread thin and there’s more than enough people around here jacking deer all year long and road hunting to keep them busy. DEC has a big presence in Albany only 25 miles away, yet my local feed store sells pallets of deer corn daily. You tell me how worried I should be getting caught shooting a few mins past sunset

5 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

You tell me how worried I should be getting caught shooting a few mins past sunset emoji849.png

I am not telling you anything....If you choose to break the law and be unethical that is entirely up to you.

If you are comfortable with it I could care less. I have to look at my mirror in the morning not yours.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

The chances of that ever happening to me are slim to none. Being caught by DEC doing anything is slim to none. They are spread thin and there’s more than enough people around here jacking deer all year long and road hunting to keep them busy. DEC has a big presence in Albany only 25 miles away, yet my local feed store sells pallets of deer corn daily. You tell me how worried I should be getting caught shooting a few mins past sunset emoji849.png

It bothers me to hear people with those kinds of attitudes toward Conservation Law. It sounds like your entire hunting ethic is based on the odds of getting caught. It tells a lot about you.

• Like 1