Letchworth park bear

Nomad

Just got this pic from a guy who,hunts the park hard . The story is it was taken a few days ago .

Rolled down to the river bottom after being shot , cape and head weighed 80# . Was caped and quartered at the bottom and packed out, ( smart move !)  don't know why guys dont do that with deer there.

image.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, First-light said:

Read he had a special permit to go after this bear. How does that work??

Ya I don't know . News said shot last Monday .

news said he had a permit to hunt , I assuming that's just the one we all get to,hunt the park and not a special one for this bear 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

12 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Ya I don't know . News said shot last Monday .

news said he had a permit to hunt , I assuming that's just the one we all get to,hunt the park and not a special one for this bear 

No this was not on the up and up like most permits.  This guy had his hands in someones pockets. There was no notice to any public about bear hunting in the park. Anywhere.    Word has it that he shot it with a high powered rifle in a shotgun only park.

Something real fishy here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

No this was not on the up and up like most permits.  This guy had his hands in someones pockets. There was no notice to any public about bear hunting in the park. Anywhere.    Word has it that he shot it with a high powered rifle in a shotgun only park.

Something real fishy here.

Unlike Allegheny SP, Letchworth doesn't specifically prohibit bear hunting.  The permits and literature I've seen on their website either say "deer" or "big game."

Also, according to this article, the bear harvest was legal: Bear Hunt

As to what he implement he used, I'd assume it was either shotgun or bow, unless there are credible sources that state otherwise.

1 minute ago, Padre86 said:

Unlike Allegheny SP, Letchworth doesn't specifically prohibit bear hunting.  The permits and literature I've seen on their website either say "deer" or "big game."

Also, according to this article, the bear harvest was legal: Bear Hunt

As to what he implement he used, I'd assume it was either shotgun or bow, unless there are credible sources that state otherwise.

First you have to get 2 different permits to hunt the park, The shotgun permit always said...Deer only no other game. Which it did again this year. 2nd is the self serve archery/Muzzy that always said the same..Deer only....Which this year did say..Hunt big game, Which yes would include bear(  If you read that into it after not being able to ever shoot bears in 20 years) Now they sure did not spell it out for hunters to know this, When i called and asked i was told that they did not believe it was legal to kill bears on the park and she saw nothing on the permits saying it was( Which meant it was not spelled out even to girls making the permits) Add that on top of a person going to the park website that says- No harvests of Black Bears allowed...

So if you total all that up you would get that yes they did write the words-Big Game-on the bow/muzzy permit which was the only thing that Might show that bears are allowed but everything else points to the fact that bears are still not allowed to be killed.

They kept it shady at the least to keep as many hunters as possible in the dark so not many would be killed. There are really not that many there to begin with so i do understand the thinking but they sure could have did something a little better for park hunters.

11 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

First you have to get 2 different permits to hunt the park, The shotgun permit always said...Deer only no other game. Which it did again this year. 2nd is the self serve archery/Muzzy that always said the same..Deer only....Which this year did say..Hunt big game, Which yes would include bear(  If you read that into it after not being able to ever shoot bears in 20 years) Now they sure did not spell it out for hunters to know this, When i called and asked i was told that they did not believe it was legal to kill bears on the park and she saw nothing on the permits saying it was( Which meant it was not spelled out even to girls making the permits) Add that on top of a person going to the park website that says- No harvests of Black Bears allowed...

So if you total all that up you would get that yes they did write the words-Big Game-on the bow/muzzy permit which was the only thing that Might show that bears are allowed but everything else points to the fact that bears are still not allowed to be killed.

They kept it shady at the least to keep as many hunters as possible in the dark so not many would be killed. There are really not that many there to begin with so i do understand the thinking but they sure could have did something a little better for park hunters.

This is the 2017 regular season permit application for Letchworth: Letchworth Permit

It does not specifically say deer only.  Nor does it say anywhere on the permit or their website that bear hunting is specifically prohibited.

I agree that the park's hunting regs are not as clear as they could be.  In fact, I still see old 'no hunting' signs posted along the edge of the park in areas that do allow hunting according to the park map.

Edited by Padre86

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Maybe they issues a limited number that included bear

Or changed the PDF after put on internet to add..No other game,   This permit has looked the same for years and years and years. I know of 15 permits givin to hunters that i know and they all say the same thing.  

Thats my whole point----Shady at Best?

12 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

So maybe you would like to take a look at mine?  You can see the words ( No Other Game Correct?)

IMG_1416.JPG

I haven't read mine for a few weeks but assuming that it says that same as yours, maybe someone needs to call Letchworth SP staff and ask some questions.  

The article referenced earlier stated that the hunt was legal according to one of the park managers.  With the story already out, if everything wasn't on the up and up then I'd expect the DEC and NYS Park agency to be taking action by this point.

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

You can read i take it?   Read the words above............DEER ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>NO OTHER GAME!

you posted proof of what you got.  looks like you don't have any pull there and got the restricted crappy permit. lol

• Like 1

Just now, Padre86 said:

All right, then maybe someone needs to call Letchworth SP staff and ask some questions.  

The article referenced earlier stated that the hunt was legal according to one of the park managers.  With the story already out, if everything wasn't on the up and up then I'd expect the DEC and NYS Park agency to be taking action by this point.

Thats just it..I did call and was told--Not that i know of and i see nothing on the permit that says bears can be taking, I see where it says-Deer only(no other game-  Which this answer came from the girl doing the permits.  The only wording different was on the bow/muzzy permit and it did not say deer only.  The guy shot it with the smoke pole.

My whole point is that they sure made it a point not to make hunters aware that bears could be takin. And again there is not many there so i see their idea.

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

you posted proof of what you got.  looks like you don't have any pull there and got the restricted crappy permit. lol

lol........Not just mine..All of them..I would like to see someone post their permit that does not look like mine????    That PDF above means nothing because we all know that can be changed in 1.3 seconds.

3 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Thats just it..I did call and was told--Not that i know of and i see nothing on the permit that says bears can be taking, I see where it says-Deer only(no other game-  Which this answer came from the girl doing the permits.  The only wording different was on the bow/muzzy permit and it did not say deer only.  The guy shot it with the smoke pole.

My whole point is that they sure made it a point not to make hunters aware that bears could be takin. And again there is not many there so i see their idea.

How do you know that he didn't use a bow or muzzle loader?

Maybe that is the loophole; you can take them with archery or muzzle loading, but not shotgun.

And yes, the hunting regs aren't well laid out.  Not everyone on staff there really knows about the hunting aspect.  There is one particular gentleman on staff there, whose name eludes me, who seems to be more in the loop on the hunting regs.  Maybe someone should get in contact with him.

1 minute ago, Padre86 said:

How do you know that he didn't use a bow or muzzle loader?

Maybe that is the loophole; you can take them with archery or muzzle loading, but not shotgun.

And yes, the hunting regs aren't well laid out.  Not everyone on staff there really knows about the hunting aspect.  There is one particular gentleman on staff there, whose name eludes me, who seems to be more in the loop on the hunting regs.  Maybe someone should get in contact with him.

You just quoted me saying the guy did shoot it with the smoke pole?    The only loophole was that they did their best to bury it and keep it unknown to most. Cant see many going there to really hunt bear anyways but more than one would have been takin if really made public i am sure.  You can even go to newspaper prints of 2016 rules that say no rifles and no bears.  2017 they left out the no bears but sure didnt write in bears were open.lol