Letchworth park bear

Nomad

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

https://geneseesun.com/hunter-tags-once-in-a-lifetime-letchworth-park-bear/

Here is an article on the whole story.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah there are a few stories....I like the wording...Knew he could kill a bear from the Park Police?  Yeah thats how hunters should get their harvest info? lol

14 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

You just quoted me saying the guy did shoot it with the smoke pole?    

I'm not sure what you mean by smokepole?  Shotgun?  Rifle?

And I'm still confused on how you know what weapon he used.

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the 2nd article discussing him hunting during muzzle loader.

Like I said earlier, call up the Letchworth SP towards the spring and ask to speak to the hunting guy; I'm sure he can shed some light on the gray area in the regs.

Edited by Padre86
Edit

Being allowed to hunt bear in the park was definitely kept hush hush and its not right.  I only make it up to the park once a  these days but before the hunting season started some one on the forum posted that letchworth opened up the park to bear hunting i couldnt believe it so i called the park back in early October and poke to an employee and she said yes you can shoot bear in the park this year but they arent advertising it they didn't want to many bear shot.  

Me personally i wouldn't shoot anything in that park unless it said you could in writing most of the park police there dont even know the basic hunting laws.

5 minutes ago, Red said:

Being allowed to hunt bear in the park was definitely kept hush hush and its not right.  I only make it up to the park once a  these days but before the hunting season started some one on the forum posted that letchworth opened up the park to bear hunting i couldnt believe it so i called the park back in early October and poke to an employee and she said yes you can shoot bear in the park this year but they arent advertising it they didn't want to many bear shot.  

Me personally i wouldn't shoot anything in that park unless it said you could in writing most of the park police there dont even know the basic hunting laws.

Right, if I didn't see the conversation on here, I would have still assumed that bear were still off limits in the park. The permits are poorly worded as it is, but making a major change such as allowing bear hunting and then saying nothing about it anywhere on the permits or other hunting information they post is a very poor way to go about it. 

Now that the guy put it all on FB for the world to see, I'm sure the park will get a lot of calls on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

Right, if I didn't see the conversation on here, I would have still assumed that bear were still off limits in the park. The permits are poorly worded as it is, but making a major change such as allowing bear hunting and then saying nothing about it anywhere on the permits or other hunting information they post is a very poor way to go about it. 

Now that the guy put it all on FB for the world to see, I'm sure the park will get a lot of calls on it.

And now there will be bears shot on sight in any season because it was not worded at all. If they would have made it public that bear was open only during bow/muzzy there would not have been any doubts.   Now they will try and shut it down all together and people will still be blasting them.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

I found out Bear was open in Letchworth this year from a park employee when I was registering for a cabin in early November. When I told the 2 others with me about it neither knew bear was open in Letchworth. I thought it was interesting to see this bear story today. I hunt in the general area where this bear was taken so it was surprising to me to see that a large bear was living there. I knew bears were there just never knew how big.If the guy took it during the late season with muzzle loader or bow well then congratulations to him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I agree 100% the permits  are poorly worded and the park shouldnt have hid this info.

19 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Just got this pic from a guy who,hunts the park hard . The story is it was taken a few days ago .

Rolled down to the river bottom after being shot , cape and head weighed 80# . Was caped and quartered at the bottom and packed out, ( smart move !)  don't know why guys dont do that with deer there.

image.png

I've seen lots of hero bear pics and I don't think I've ever seen one like that.  If that bear is as big as stated (and it does look big!) it sure seems like it'd be a bitch to prop it up like that??

• Like 2

Guys, I just wanted to say I know the hunter personally and he is a die hard local outdoorsman who does his homework on everything he does. He’s the nicest and most humble hunter I know (his wife made it public, he’s not on fb or social media). Clearly many other people also knew the regs changed, and it’s not his fault the paperwork was not clear. His wife got a rash of backlash from anti’s on her FB so let’s not have us fellow hunters jump on it or him as well. Happy Holidays! 

• Like 6

Always seems like people stating how it wasn't fair to them but didn't reach out and do what this gentlemen did even though they could have. Somebody will say something silly without even knowing the person like bet he paid someone or had inside knowledge something funny going on. From my life experience its that type of person who should take a look in the mirror.

Always seems like people stating how it wasn't fair to them but didn't reach out and do what this gentlemen did even though they could have. Somebody will say something silly without even knowing the person like bet he paid someone or had inside knowledge something funny going on. From my life experience its that type of person who should take a look in the mirror.

I don't think anyone is bashing the taking of the bear or the hunter. More so bashing the shady doings of the park to keep it on the down low. And just an FYI those on this site that hunt the park and are a tad discouraged at the whole idea of it did try to do there homework. As in calling and having a clerk that does the permits say it's not open that she knows of and there is nothing on the permits to say that bear can be takin. Can see the parks thinking as there are not many there to begin with but it sure could have been done better on their part. If only the one bear was takin then there is one on the bottom of trail 15 living and one up at the Helena overlook hanging out to grow for next year. If there is a next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I don't think anyone is bashing the taking of the bear or the hunter. More so bashing the shady doings of the park to keep it on the down low. And just an FYI those on this site that hunt the park and are a tad discouraged at the whole idea of it did try to do there homework. As in calling and having a clerk that does the permits say it's not open that she knows of and there is nothing on the permits to say that bear can be takin. Can see the parks thinking as there are not many there to begin with but it sure could have been done better on their part. If only the one bear was takin then there is one on the bottom of trail 15 living and one up at the Helena overlook hanging out to grow for next year. If there is a next year.

A lot of parks do that  they tell friends and family about when things are opening  or changing before everybody else . Happens all the time  he probably knew somebody that works at that Park to know before anyone else about changes .

22 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

No this was not on the up and up like most permits.  This guy had his hands in someones pockets. There was no notice to any public about bear hunting in the park. Anywhere.    Word has it that he shot it with a high powered rifle in a shotgun only park.

Something real fishy here.

Wake up.

19 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said: