New Bow for Next Season

Five Seasons

My Mathews switchback is entering year 12 of technology and 10 years in my possession (bought used). While she still kills deer just fine, I have realized there are some better options out there. I will admit to being a Mathews fanboy, but I'm not ruling other brands out. The new triax is interesting. I will have some fun trials ahead because my switchback has an ATA of 33". Dropping to a 28" might take some getting used to. Not ruling out one of the Halon models for a longer ATA... but they also weigh about a half pound more than my switchback and the triax is much closer in weight.

figured i'd start this thread and keep it updated as I "hunt" lol. Feel free to contribute if you're also shopping.

http://www.mathewsinc.com/bows/triax 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I am a Hoyt guy myself.  but keep us up to date on the bows you try out, I like hearing average joe reviews. Good luck , because I feel every bow manufacturer puts out high quality equipment...

kinda where I'm at. I dont think any modern bow would do me wrong. I still feel perfectly comfortable with my current bow. 

23 minutes ago, Belo said:

nothing's off the table. I plan to really spend my time bugging the local shops. If I'm going to drop over a grand on something I want to enjoy the process

I used to try every and any bow out there when I got new ones often with no price cap.  i'd switch brands with the wind.  I went with whatever I thought felt better that year.  I've had or have bows from GanderMountain, Bowtech, Diamond, Bear, Hoyt, and PSE.  Mathews usually had one in the running but never pulled the trigger and bought one. switchback, Z7, and Z7 Mag were good bows.

Take a peek at some obsession bows.....they shoot lights out, and absolutely rip!

I am a Mathews Switchback owner myself, and with 11 seasons under it belt I as well will be trying out something different this fall. After the winter 3d season I will be parting ways with my Elite answer and pulling the trigger on a new/used bow mid summer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

kinda where I'm at. I dont think any modern bow would do me wrong. I still feel perfectly comfortable with my current bow. 

Then why change? You aren't going to gain much from "upgrading".  Then again, you could get an awful lot of used bow for a little money.  Not knocking new equipment, but I don't replace gear that I'm perfectly comfortable with.

Belo I also have a switchback cica 2006 but when I feel newer bows they're just so much lighter, a little faster, and better balanced.. which is the reason I am looking for a change... looking to get into a newer Mathews or give Elite a try out (they're local here in Rochester close to where I live)

• Like 1

I got a Halon 6 and love it but many say it's on the heavy side.  To me shoots very dead in hand. Before that I  had a Z7 and wished I never got rid of it just cause I wanted newer. So my point is don't feel like you have to if your happy with what ya shoot now.  I also hear Prime Bows shoot very nice..

21 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Are the prime bows off the table? I'm an elite guy but that prime centergy or the new logic are really calling my name. 

Who has Prime bows in our area Jeremy?

How about Obsession if you know??

I'm not buying a new one.........I don't think. :)

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Who has Prime bows in our area Jeremy?

How about Obsession if you know??

I'm not buying a new one.........I don't think. :)

Niagara outdoors like Jeremy said but be prepared to pay Jeff’s a great guy with the best customer service but that comes with a price 

Upon reading this thread I'm now 100 % positive that I know nothing about bows 

Don’t overthink it. Just go to a shop, and they will setup you up to shoot. Within a few days you’ll be dead on at 20yds easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2