Smoothbore vs. Rifled barrel

boo711

Thinking about upgrading to a rifled barrel for my shotgun.  I have an Ithaca model 37 with a smoothbore deerslayer 20" barrel.  Have a Simmons 8 point scope mounted on gun and shoot Federal Classic rifled slugs.  Designed for smoothbore.  Consistent out to 100 yds,  but low at that distance.  Wondering what some advantages are for the rifled barrel?  I know will definitely gain some range.  Just wanted to get some opinions of what people like about a rifled barrel for those that shoot a rifled barrel.  Anyone shoot an Ithaca deer slayer rifled barrel??

12 hours ago, boo711 said:

Thinking about upgrading to a rifled barrel for my shotgun.  I have an Ithaca model 37 with a smoothbore deerslayer 20" barrel.  Have a Simmons 8 point scope mounted on gun and shoot Federal Classic rifled slugs.  Designed for smoothbore.  Consistent out to 100 yds,  but low at that distance.  Wondering what some advantages are for the rifled barrel?  I know will definitely gain some range.  Just wanted to get some opinions of what people like about a rifled barrel for those that shoot a rifled barrel.  Anyone shoot an Ithaca deer slayer rifled barrel??

To me if you test what ammo  works best with your smoothbore it is totally not necessary the drop is still going to happen in a rifled barrel and the accuracy for the most part not a big difference when you are  talking about hitting a deer size target . And most hunting in this state happens under 100 yards anyway .

ST2006 hit it pretty good.   The majority of deer I have killed have been with an Ithaca 37 16 gauge with a smoothbore deerslayer barrel and a Weaver 1.5x scope.   That combination has killed every deer that I shot at with it (not always pretty), but it is very important to stay within it's limitations.  I would call that 100 yards, where the groups consistently open up to about a foot on the range.  It is extremely effective inside of 75 yards.  I picked up a bunch of ammo for it many years ago at $1.00 a box, so the cost of ammo is by far it's biggest advantage.   These days, I mostly use it when only shots under 75 yards are expected, which is not very often.  I carried it once last season.   

I missed a nice buck with it the first year I used it, and it had open sites on it, but none since adding the scope and having the trigger reworked by a gunsmith.   I pushed the range a bit one time on my largest buck, a few years later, hitting him low in the front shoulder.  The only reason I was able to run down and kill that big buck, with a followup shot to the neck, was that he had a rear hoof shot off a week or so prior.  Being young and fast at the time, I was able to catch up to him on two good legs.  I was extremely fortunate, because a deer on three legs looses little if any speed, and I never would have caught him.   I learned a cheap lesson there: not to shoot at a deer beyond 100 yards with it (he was about 120 on my first shot).   About 6 years ago, I killed my second largest antlered buck with it, and that was the last time I fired it at a deer.   I am certain it would have killed me a buck during gun season this year, on it's one and only carry, but the darn thing would not take another step or two to get off posted property.  That would have been a 40 yard broadside "chip-shot", thru a little goldenrod and light brush, the perfect situation for a slow, heavy foster-type slug. 

I would recommend keeping that smoothbore, and getting a second gun for long-range hunting.  Besides much cheaper ammo, another advantage to the slower foster slugs is penetrating thru light brush.   They deflect less than the more expensive, lighter, faster sabots, that are used in the rifled barrels.   The gun I usually carry in shotgun-only zones these days is a fully rifled, 12 gauge, Marlin Slugmaster, with a 3X Bushnell banner scope.   That combination has also killed every deer I have shot it at, most often on the first shot.   My farthest kill with it was 163 yards.  I think 175 yards would be very doable with it.  Maybe even 200, where it holds a 7" group with Hornady SST's, from a bench on the range.   I spent a little extra time and ammo on it there this year, after a high spine hit with it last season (required a second finishing shot), and it paid off with a well-hit doe this gun season.   My biggest issue with that gun is: while it has smoked more does and button bucks than I can keep track of, for some reason antlered bucks don't seem to show up when I carry it.   That is the main reason I still hunt a few times a season with the old Ithaca. 

Edited by wolc123

I got a Remington 1187 rifled this year. I used to feel confident with a smoothbore out to 75-80 yards with my old Mossberg.  Wanted a shotgun to stretch out to 125 or so.  I have always been a shotgun guy but would say you might gain 50 yards on range.  Ammo is def way more expensive. I shoot hornady sabots.  Catch them on sale for $10 for a box of 5.    

Smoothbores are differet then rifled guns depending on what barrel choke ammo gun combination you use it can make a big difference ( note : different slugs group differently in different smoothbores .)

That is the reason you get so many different views on this from 50 yards to over 100 yards 

You have to test out a bunch of stuff to no for sure .

Basically you have to try out a bunch of different ammo and chokes to see what works best.  

If you don't want to experiment and have the money a  rifle  barrel will shoot most ammo Well that is the real difference in my opinion there not as ammo sensitive  As a smoothbore is.

If you are getting good 100 yard accuracy with your current set up, I don't think a rifled barrel will be that much of an improvement. If you did want to make a change, I'd suggest a modern bolt action slug gun, like the Savage that had been mentioned. 

Just reading these posts makes me so happy that we can use rifles here!

6 hours ago, Will_C said:

If you are getting good 100 yard accuracy with your current set up, I don't think a rifled barrel will be that much of an improvement. If you did want to make a change, I'd suggest a modern bolt action slug gun, like the Savage that had been mentioned. 

Just reading these posts makes me so happy that we can use rifles here!

You are very lucky to be in a zone where rifles are legal.   I am thankful that my in-laws built their retirement home up in the Northern zone, where rifles have been legal for as long as I can remember.  That has given me the opportunity to fill my buck tag with my rifle every other year for the last (5) seasons.  200 yards would really be pushing it, hunting at home with my rifled shotgun, but is a "chip-shot" up there with my rifle.  30/06 ammo costs me less than half of what sabot shotgun slugs cost.   The rifle also seems to do a cleaner, more efficient job of killing the deer.   Those that I have killed up there with it have died right where they were hit, never requiring any tracking, while more than half of those killed at home with my shotguns have required at least a little tracking.  

The one advantage a shotgun, especially a smoothbore with foster slugs, provides is better brush-busting ability at short range.  I missed my first shot, up in the NZ on my first buck with my 30/06 and I am 90 % sure that was due to the bullet striking a branch and disintegrating.   Fortunately, a followup shot made it thru to put him down in his tracks.  Any shotgun, rifled or smoothbore, would have been completely useless on those 300 yard shots.  This is also the reason why more and more areas are being opened up to rifles.  At short range, a shotgun slug is more likely to get thru the brush to a deer, but also more likely to get thru to another hunter.   That makes the rifle less likely to be involved in a hunting accident than a shotgun.   

ST2006 hit it pretty good.   The majority of deer I have killed have been with an Ithaca 37 16 gauge with a smoothbore deerslayer barrel and a Weaver 1.5x scope.   That combination has killed every deer that I shot at with it (not always pretty), but it is very important to stay within it's limitations.  I would call that 100 yards, where the groups consistently open up to about a foot on the range.  It is extremely effective inside of 75 yards.  I picked up a bunch of ammo for it many years ago at $1.00 a box, so the cost of ammo is by far it's biggest advantage.   These days, I mostly use it when only shots under 75 yards are expected, which is not very often.  I carried it once last season.   
I missed a nice buck with it the first year I used it, and it had open sites on it, but none since adding the scope and having the trigger reworked by a gunsmith.   I pushed the range a bit one time on my largest buck, a few years later, hitting him low in the front shoulder.  The only reason I was able to run down and kill that big buck, with a followup shot to the neck, was that he had a rear hoof shot off a week or so prior.  Being young and fast at the time, I was able to catch up to him on two good legs.  I was extremely fortunate, because a deer on three legs looses little if any speed, and I never would have caught him.   I learned a cheap lesson there: not to shoot at a deer beyond 100 yards with it (he was about 120 on my first shot).   About 6 years ago, I killed my second largest antlered buck with it, and that was the last time I fired it at a deer.   I am certain it would have killed me a buck during gun season this year, on it's one and only carry, but the darn thing would not take another step or two to get off posted property.  That would have been a 40 yard broadside "chip-shot", thru a little goldenrod and light brush, the perfect situation for a slow, heavy foster-type slug. 
I would recommend keeping that smoothbore, and getting a second gun for long-range hunting.  Besides much cheaper ammo, another advantage to the slower foster slugs is penetrating thru light brush.   They deflect less than the more expensive, lighter, faster sabots, that are used in the rifled barrels.   The gun I usually carry in shotgun-only zones these days is a fully rifled, 12 gauge, Marlin Slugmaster, with a 3X Bushnell banner scope.   That combination has also killed every deer I have shot it at, most often on the first shot.   My farthest kill with it was 163 yards.  I think 175 yards would be very doable with it.  Maybe even 200, where it holds a 7" group with Hornady SST's, from a bench on the range.   I spent a little extra time and ammo on it there this year, after a high spine hit with it last season (required a second finishing shot), and it paid off with a well-hit doe this gun season.   My biggest issue with that gun is: while it has smoked more does and button bucks than I can keep track of, for some reason antlered bucks don't seem to show up when I carry it.   That is the main reason I still hunt a few times a season with the old Ithaca. 

Mr slob hunter at it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Obviously having the rifling will be an advantage and should provide you better accuracy. Despite the comments here there is a marked difference in less drop over the foster slugs. The saboted slug weighs less and will drop less compared to a foster.  When selecting a rifled barrel I would strongly suggest that you get on that has a cantilever scope mount. That is the best way to take advantage of the added accuracy, since you are using a scope. Having a scope that is receiver mounted and a movable barrel just won't make the most of the set up. 

• Like 4

Killed my first deer and a good number after that with an Ithaca model 37 in 16g with no scope. Furthest shot made, 70 yards. And a pile more with the Deerslayer 2 with a Leupold 1x4.  shooting 2 3/4 inch Remington Copper Sabots. Furthest shot made, 120 yards. I still carry the DS-2 at least once a season, when I hunt in the thick stuff.  The DS-2 has a fixed barrel and is much more accurate than the model 37. If I were to ever buy another slug gun, it would be the Savage 220. Also, since my area of 4-H went to rifle a few years ago, my longest shot was 40 yards. 

I have a brand new Browning A-bolt 3" 12ga with and Leupold 1-4 scope with Fire-X- Reticle for sale if anyone is interested. 

Used it 2 years and never missed 4 deer.  Extremely accurate 3" group at 150 all day long.

Only selling because I can use a rifle now.

PM me for pics

Thx

Chad

• Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 9:18 AM, stoneam2006 said:

Rifled barrel is way more accurate and twice the range. Downfall is price of sabots. They are pricey

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

agree. used to shoot litfields. they're very expensive and changed to hornady sst's this season as they seem to shoot better and can be found on sale at dicks for $10 a box. much better than the 15-20 litefields went for.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Belo said:

agree. used to shoot litfields. they're very expensive and changed to hornady sst's this season as they seem to shoot better and can be found on sale at dicks for $10 a box. much better than the 15-20 litefields went for.

Belo, Have you hit anything with them yet?  Friend used them and had terrible terminal performance on the deer.  Just like the shockwaves in the ML. tiny holes in and out.  I wish Federal still made the Federal premiums with the Barnes expander bullets.  I have 7 boxes left and guard them with my life...lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Belo, Have you hit anything with them yet?  Friend used them and had terrible terminal performance on the deer.  Just like the shockwaves in the ML. tiny holes in and out.  I wish Federal still made the Federal premiums with the Barnes expander bullets.  I have 7 boxes left and guard them with my life...lol

I dug a SST out of a Deer this season, dropped it on the spot, IMG_0175.thumb.jpg.979307848a13abee290f469e1a9a566f.jpgand here is a Barnes Expanders from a deer I shot about 15 or so years ago

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

I’ve been shooting Lightfields for years. People bitch there’s not 2 holes as they don’t punch through. Well duh , they dump all their energy. Some of the deadest deer I’ve killed were with Lightfields.  They studder step and fall over. Shot a doe awhile back at 30 feet. 3” and lodged under skin of opposite shoulder. She fell over like you pushed her over. Accuracy is great too. Since started to carry my ML as I just like the gun better. And shockwaves to boot. Everyone has an opinion on best ammo. There’s my .02 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 9:27 AM, Storm914 said:

To me if you test what ammo  works best with your smoothbore it is totally not necessary the drop is still going to happen in a rifled barrel and the accuracy for the most part not a big difference when you are  talking about hitting a deer size target . And most hunting in this state happens under 100 yards anyway .

Aaaaand thats why so many deer are wounded....

You should be aiming for a dinner plate sized target, preferably quite a bit smaller than that.

• Like 2

Ive used SSTs in 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and my .50 cal Muzzleloader. Always the same results, small hole in, small hole out. I tried Remington Copper Solids, same thing. For shotgun sabots I had the best luck with the Remington Accutips. Just as accurate as the SSTs and they open up better in my experience. Still looking for a better option for my ML.

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Aaaaand thats why so many deer are wounded....

You should be aiming for a dinner plate sized target, preferably quite a bit smaller than that.

I ment to say deer size kill zone the  vitals, it   is not squirrel hunting .

About a dinner plate  like you said 

Anyway  who is to say what weapon wounds  more animals.  If you push your limits be it bow rifle shotgun muzzleloader it  can  happen  guys got to test what he is going to use and what ammo so there is less chance of that . 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I ment to say deer size kill zone the  vitals, it   is not squirrel hunting .

About a dinner plate  like you said 

Anyway  who is to say what weapon wounds  more animals.  If you push your limits be it bow rifle shotgun muzzleloader it  can  happen  guys got to test what he is going to use and what ammo so there is less chance of that . 

My comment had nothing to do with what type of weapon was being used, it was the aiming at a deer sized target comment. Way too many people just aim at the deer, many times resulting in a non-lethal hit.

• Like 1