Ideas on how new York can increase land access for hunting .

Hunter007

I work very hard for permission to hunt private land. I ask alot of people, and offer my time in exchange. I get told no alot but a few will say yes. I help one guy fix vehicles in exchange, another i posted his land using xmaps for borders and keep his trails cleared. Another i posted and am there eyes on the land. I mow a camp site on a piece of property for 1 person. I always offer the land owners some meat also including my family. Currently i have access to 7 different properties cause i spend time looking for access. It takes more of my time to get access to private land then it does to scout and set up for season but its certainly worth it. Merry christmas all.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yup you nailed it! We all spend thousands of $$ so we can bait.

Your true colors are coming out, you don't want to work for it so you want the government to do it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does not make much sense if you wanted to work for it you would not 

buy land just to hunt because that makes  it  easier then hunting state land  .

Or any land at random .

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

No not all people bait that hunt on  there own land,  don't know  how many do .but I can take a educated guess and say that if you're just buying land to hunt on and it is not that large and you still not getting results those people more then likely will start to bait out of fustration probably.

A wild ass assumption with no factual input is not an "educated guess". It is simply a wild ass assumption with no factual input. And perhaps a look into how the guesser would act given the opportunity,

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SteveB said:

A wild ass assumption with no factual input is not an "educated guess". It is simply a wild ass assumption with no factual input. And perhaps a look into how the guesser would act given the opportunity,

If you are  not doing it you have no reason to be insulted by what I said  .  I am sure it is a small % most get results on private land with out  baiting 

Edited by Storm914

56 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Ok your right,  so  I did a little research  and I am right .

if you go look at all the news reports of people getting in trouble for baiting it is people hunting on the own land , for the most part .

Like this guy 

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/news/poaching-news-backyard-bucks-hunting-over-bait-headless-deer/

And this guy 

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20071025/News/710250341

And this guy 

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20081115/NEWS/811150326

Edited by Storm914

9 hours ago, Storm914 said:

No not all people bait that hunt on  there own land,  don't know  how many do .but I can take a educated guess and say that if you're just buying land to hunt on and it is not that large and you still not getting results those people more then likely will start to bait out of fustration probably.

A couple examples does not lead to the conclusion that a private landowner "will more than likely" begin an illegal activity from lack of results. To say so is further proof of a wild ass assumption. Have no idea how, where or why you come up with this stuff. I'm going to make an assumption and say "most likely" comes from your own tendencies. 

• Like 1

That does not make much sense if you wanted to work for it you would not 
buy land just to hunt because that makes  it  easier then hunting state land  .
Or any land at random .

Lol, wrong again pal. I own my own land and bust my nuts to have permission on more land than I could hunt if season was all year yet I still spend 90% of my season hunting public land in the Adirondacks. I have stands I haven't hunted in years and properties I haven't hunted in years and yet I'm always trying to get permission on more yet I could kill a mature buck or 2 every year on my own property. I don't hunt tree stands much I'm a still hunter and a tracker so I can wear out a property very quickly. I have sole permission to hunt damn near 2000 acres yet I nocked on a door just 2 days ago to get permission to hunt their property, they said no to deer hunting but said yes to small game when it's not deer season. I would put money on the fact that in a couple years I can deer hunt it as well.

To those of us who work hard getting permission and paying for our own property your comments are a joke. It's irritating reading it kind of like getting of a 16hr shift and stopping to get a coffee and the jerk off in front of you has potato chips, candy, and soda and swipes their EBT card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Can we make sure the country boys stop poaching all the big bucks too? o ya ,get them to stop stealing tree stands during the week also.

Spot on . Every trespasser, poacher, or person driving atvs/ trucks over crops we've dealt with have been locals .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Lol, wrong again pal. I own my own land and bust my nuts to have permission on more land than I could hunt if season was all year yet I still spend 90% of my season hunting public land in the Adirondacks. I have stands I haven't hunted in years and properties I haven't hunted in years and yet I'm always trying to get permission on more yet I could kill a mature buck or 2 every year on my own property. I don't hunt tree stands much I'm a still hunter and a tracker so I can wear out a property very quickly. I have sole permission to hunt damn near 2000 acres yet I nocked on a door just 2 days ago to get permission to hunt their property, they said no to deer hunting but said yes to small game when it's not deer season. I would put money on the fact that in a couple years I can deer hunt it as well.

To those of us who work hard getting permission and paying for our own property your comments are a joke. It's irritating reading it kind of like getting of a 16hr shift and stopping to get a coffee and the jerk off in front of you has potato chips, candy, and soda and swipes their EBT card.

I was not talking about you or anyone on here shzz 

Dont make it personal 

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You literally said "you" while quoting my post. That sounds pretty personal to me.

Don't think I did unless I wrote it wrong .

In any  case that is not what I ment .

But if you took a poll most people will say hunting public is always more difficult then hunting private. 

You seemed to give the impression that is not the case .

Or did I read that wrong?

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I was not talking about you or anyone on here shzz 

Dont make it personal 

When you make general ASSumptions as you did, any person that owns land will take your posts personally. I myself take great offense to your comments and stubbies. I can assure you that the tresspasser i have had to deal with were locals, never the city folk. I for one take great pride and work my ass off to acquire, maintain and every year enhance my properties. I give more back to the land then i ever take and try to make it better every year for the benefit of all wildlife, not just deer. Now i will make an assumption with no proof, heres goes. Its usually the non landowner and locals that bitch about all the posted signs and complain how bad the hunting is on public land. Those are the same people that think they have rights to anyones property because they live upstate. They are also the very same people why land is posted because of slob hunters with no respect for the land, dumping, leave crap in the woods, trashing signs etc...now do you get the idea why everything is so locked up. But on the flip side, look at what buckmaster has accomplished with a little leg work, work, work, work and more work. He owns his property, but is tireless in his ability to obtain more land then he could ever hunt. It can be done, but being lazy and making excuses dont help your cause. I own my land now, but in the past we were always able to obtain permission to hund land, by being polite, ask, ask, ask and offer up help, again that translates to alot of work, work, work... But i understand that may be too hard of work for some ..lol..get out there and ask, work hard and stop making excuses and blaming all landowners or making assumptions for your lack of success. 

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

When you make general ASSumptions as you did, any person that owns land will take your posts personally. I myself take great offense to your comments and stubbies. I can assure you that the tresspasser i have had to deal with were locals, never the city folk. I for one take great pride and work my ass off to acquire, maintain and every year enhance my properties. I give more back to the land then i ever take and try to make it better every year for the benefit of all wildlife, not just deer. Now i will make an assumption with no proof, heres goes. Its usually the non landowner and locals that bitch about all the posted signs and complain how bad the hunting is on public land. Those are the same people that think they have rights to anyones property because they live upstate. They are also the very same people why land is posted because of slob hunters with no respect for the land, dumping, leave crap in the woods, trashing signs etc...now do you get the idea why everything is so locked up. But on the flip side, look at what buckmaster has accomplished with a little leg work, work, work, work and more work. He owns his property, but is tireless in his ability to obtain more land then he could ever hunt. It can be done, but being lazy and making excuses dont help your cause. I own my land now, but in the past we were always able to obtain permission to hund land, by being polite, ask, ask, ask and offer up help, again that translates to alot of work, work, work... But i understand that may be too hard of work for some ..lol..get out there and ask, work hard and stop making excuses and blaming all landowners or making assumptions for your lack of success. 

Sorry but i like either  leaseing  land  or just hunt public. One problem I have   lease lands are far away from me so lately I have just been hunting public 

I have friends and family that have private land I can hunt if I want but then I owe them a favor .  And there land is far away anyway My idea was geared to maybe try and  open up some more land in my area.

Maybe that is  not possible 

20 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Bingo......I HAVE to let someone on property 3 hours away because i am just that...3 hours away. If locals dont see the truck or side by side its fair game to push off my plots or my bedding areas that are off limits to even my boots unless tracking.

Most times its city folk messing around on state land and Local folk messing around on private land.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Bingo......I HAVE to let someone on property 3 hours away because i am just that...3 hours away. If locals dont see the truck or side by side its fair game to push off my plots or my bedding areas that are off limits to even my boots unless tracking.

Most times its city folk messing around on state land and Local folk messing around on private land.

Yea Well how about this  one ,I have spent money for a lease that was a 3 hour drive just to find out Billy Bob the neighbor was hunting and Traspasing on it .

That's another reason I shy away from leasing anymore unless it is close by maybe , at least this way you   can watch over it  better .

And for me usally if you are going to drive that far it is not that hard to find public that is not hit that hard by hunters Anyway so it does not make sense for me to lease if I have to drive that far anyway. 

My idea was to figure out a way to get people to lease land to the state for hunting that normally don't  bother. Or create more state land in those areas that dont have much of it .

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Hey my wife's side are either lawyers or farmers ! I got great hunting land and don't pay for , basic legal advice and work .

Love the farmers some of the smartest, friendliest, hard working people around!  Not sure about lawyers, I have a friend that had hunting rights to property for 30+ years & after a son-in- law lawyer of the property owner got involved  my buddy could not set foot on the property. I had the same thing happen, a lawyer talked to the owner where I could hunt & now no one is allowed on his property, he is now scared of law suits.

11 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Love the farmers some of the smartest, friendliest, hard working people around!  Not sure about lawyers, I have a friend that had hunting rights to property for 30+ years & after a son-in- law lawyer of the property owner got involved  my buddy could not set foot on the property. I had the same thing happen, a lawyer talked to the owner where I could hunt & now no one is allowed on his property, he is now scared of law suits.

Lawyers are the worst.  No doubt.  What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

I tried to lease 45 acres that was for sale.  It was owned by a lawyer.  We started to make a deal for a hunting lease then the lawyer wouldn't call the realtor back.  He doesn't live anywhere near here. And land is still for sale and just sits there.  I looked at it to buy but it was too much.  

Yea Well how about this  one ,I have spent money for a lease that was a 3 hour drive just to find out Billy Bob the neighbor was hunting and Traspasing on it .
That's another reason I shy away from leasing anymore unless it is close by maybe , at least this way you   can watch over it  better .
And for me usally if you are going to drive that far it is not that hard to find public that is not hit that hard by hunters Anyway so it does not make sense for me to lease if I have to drive that far anyway. 
My idea was to figure out a way to get people to lease land to the state for hunting that normally don't  bother. Or create more state land in those areas that dont have much of it .

What the hell is the difference between you leasing property and others hunting it than the state leasing property and others hunting it? The state option won't be any cheaper and there will still be others hunting it?

If you live in an area that doesn't have much hunting move, I took a huge cut in pay to have a job that allowed me more time to hunt. Where there is a will there's a way, and complaining gets no one anywhere.

Here is a simple plan for you that might achieve your goal:    Get in your car and take a slow drive around the neighborhood in the daytime, after the snow lets up, and the wind dies down.  Look for deer tracks crossing the road.  Mark the locations on a map (street address etc).  Do this on ever increasing circular routes, near where you live.   Find one of those on-line apps that provides the tax maps for the area, or get one from the town hall and get the property owner's names and addresses.  Clean yourself up, get a haircut,  shave, use some deoderant, brush your teeth, use a breath mint, put on some clean clothes, and go visit these folks.  Start with the closest and/or those where there was the most tracks.   Introduce yourself and ask nicely for permission to hunt.  Offer to do some work for them, maybe starting with shoveling their driveway, etc this winter.    Picking up some food or meds at the store or carrying in some firewood for some elderly retired folks would earn you some points.  Offer to share some meat with them.   Some might turn you away, but don't let that stop you from trying again.   Use "inside tracks", ie relative, friend of a friend, etc. to up your odds of success.    

If and when any of them give you the land access you seek, always try and do more for them than they have done for you.  Do your best to leave the land in better condition than you found it when you leave.   You will never loose if you can do that, and you will gain a reputation that might give you even more access to their family's and friends land.  Also, let them know before bringing others along to hunt with you.   Good luck with it and merry Christmas.                

• Like 1