Late season

The_Real_TCIII

Uggggg man what a tough hunt this morning. Massive pieces of shelf ice made it extremely tough to get to open water and being that the lake level is high we couldn't walk the square back out.
We finally made it out set 3 whistler and 3 redhead decoys and commenced to shoot horrible! Way too man my clothes on to shoulder gun correctly but finally got it figured out about the time the barrel was covered with so much ice I couldn't see the bead. Lol.
We did finally scratched out a limit, the trip back in was just as bad. Once back on land we instantly froze up and had to penguin walk back to the truck.....that was no where near as bad as trying to get out of our gear.
Its fun when your waders will stand on their own from ice. Lol.

Supposed to be great conditions tomorrow morning but I gotta take Judy to a dr appointment first thing so maybe a late hunt or wait till Fri and sat when it should be goid with the cold temps. 4379664b2f3c2fdf5b3369a9ef1e51c1.jpg066035064ce3481807cc18f3bf9ce10b.jpg4bca5ba0a5658a28f8f8d4b3edc8181a.jpg123ddf01351d780ab5a1187bc2ca076b.jpgbff29c31df5470c50b32fec8d131345d.jpg36dbeae7b1c64d6fe3cd21eb3c316b5f.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It looks like you guys are doing pretty well... We hunted Seneca the other day and only managed two mallards. There were some massive rafts of divers moving around. I think it’s been tough with this cold. Field hunting geese has been hard. I feel like we’re not seeing the numbers like we usually do in the late season. 

54 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You guys had better be plucking those late season,,pin feather free mallards..

It's a crime to breast them out when they are SO wonderful plucked and roasted....

I said the same thing Pygmy one of those Drakes was perfect for a big pot 

What a great hunt this morning. Had to work to open a hole but man did the birds pile in nicely. Ended up shooting an 8 man limit. The kids were shooting anything so I let them limit out with a few whistlers bills and
squaws and then I shot a limit of drake whistlers and a blue Bill.

Waders froze up so bad I had to come back to the house and waddle into the shower just so I could get them thawed enough to get out of them.
I dropped a drake right at my feet so when we were all done I let Ziva do a retrieve since she set in my truck all morning with the heat on watching the shooting. 1ab29abac63b32d054a6d252711e4a60.jpge085a2f9cd589c258b9663936655a1bc.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have never duck hunted.  You guys are nuts but it looks fun.  I feel bad for that dog swimming in this weather.  lol

no swimming moog, way too much ice to allow my dog in the water, that drake whistler landed on the shore next to me so she ran down and brought it back to me all proud of herself.lol  she had to of marked it because when I opened the truck door she was off like a shot and went right to it and it wasn't visible from the truck.

who was the dummy she sat in the idling truck with the heat on while we shot birds. lol.

• Like 1

Hunted the last three days in a spot that's new to me because my buddy just showed it to me. Creek hunting and it was fun. Had tons of birds work the spread and some good groups commit. Some of the groups were too big to get into the creek. Total three days we (group) killed 24 Drake's and two hens. Also a gadwall and a goose. 

It has been a great late season and hopefully can get out once more but possible that it's over for me. 

Edited by BigVal

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

As always I intended to pluck a couple, got three minutes into it and said #!*% THIS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel you on that. I breasted my first duck because i figured I might mount it sometime, and then i got 2 min into plucking the geese before i breasted them.