Pellet guns/ammo

Dom

.177 pellets what would you/do you shoot?I have flat and pointed tips I think flat for target and pointed for small game/I also have darts but have only shot at target with them do you think the darts would be just as effective on small game?

7 minutes ago, Dom said:

.177 pellets what would you/do you shoot?I have flat and pointed tips I think flat for target and pointed for small game/I also have darts but have only shot at target with them do you think the darts would be just as effective on small game?

Hard to beat the Crossman Premier pellets sold at Walmart. They are a dome rip and slightly heavier than the flat points with a small hollow point

In my son's .22 RWS M48 they will completely penetrate a pigeon from below through the breast and make a solid whack sound when the hit the roof deck of the barn leaving feathers stuck to the planks.

They sell them in .177 too.

4 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Hard to beat the Crossman Premier pellets sold at Walmart. They are a dome rip and slightly heavier than the flat points with a small hollow point

In my son's .22 RWS M48 they will completely penetrate a pigeon from below through the breast and make a solid whack sound when the hit the roof deck of the barn leaving feathers stuck to the planks.

They sell them in .177 too.

Pigeons taste great/was trying to figure out and find out what most airrifle shooters use thankyou

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pointed pellets 100%. Many and I mean many rabbits have fallen to my Crossman pump pistol. That gun is 35 or so years old. Flat pellets are paper only. I wouldn’t use the darts. Used to shoot those and accuracy and velocity drop off quick with them. 

TF the darts do fall quick came with my kit of pellets/beebees 

7 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm back looking at pellet guns......it'll be a .22 if/when I spring (that'd be a pun too) when I do.  Thinking Weinrauch springer...........

Likewise many options/if my nephew didn't give this to me for Christmas I was going back to my 10/22 this season.Now I want to get one in 20 guage/Airrifle that should be fun

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Here ya go. 

Buddy used to have an RWS I believe it was. Break barrel to cock it   Heck , flat nosed pellets would zip through both sides of a metal garbage can. That thing was a beauty with some good optics on it too. 

5A188890-4AF3-45A1-9FF6-B153AEFB48D2.jpeg

I have both vers of this  in 22 .177

And also the big bother of that the  Pcp version the  Benjamin woods walker  . There all great guns and they  all shoot the crosmam domed pellets the best . Pointed pellets give you more penetration but domed  pellets give you better accuracy . They  both will do the job on small game. 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm back looking at pellet guns......it'll be a .22 if/when I spring (that'd be a pun too) when I do.  Thinking Weinrauch springer...........

If you decide to go with Weihrauch, check prices here:

https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/

much cheaper even with extra shipping. 

Edited by moog5050

I do not have a 17 cal air rifle so I really can not vouch for any particular brand  or style pellet in that caliber. I have a couple of 25 cal rifles that have been shot quite a bit with a good variety of pellet brands and styles and they both shoot the best groups with JSB Exact pellets, the JSBs also have performed really well on any small game I have taken.

I purchased late last summer a Gamo "Swarm" 10 shot magazine fed rifle for a plinker in 22 cal, it too seems to shoot the JSBs the tightest group wise. The Gamo is not as accurate as my Benjamins but it is entirely adequate for hunting small game and that 10 shot magazine feeds and works great.

"Pyramid Air" is where I do my trading when it comes to air guns and supplies, great outfit.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 7:48 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Here ya go. 

Buddy used to have an RWS I believe it was. Break barrel to cock it   Heck , flat nosed pellets would zip through both sides of a metal garbage can. That thing was a beauty with some good optics on it too. 

5A188890-4AF3-45A1-9FF6-B153AEFB48D2.jpeg

I've got the same pellet gun. Got it about 25 years ago. It has dropped quite a few red squirrels at camp over the years. 

• 1 month later...