Don’t buy this POS grinder

crappyice

aeb498b95614bb898f179cc87e4e5efa.jpg

Rolled the dice on this POS (under $100) and LOST!!!

Put together and threw some partially frozen pork fat in to grind for some venison burgers. Gummed up immediately and pushed off the main ring that holds the unit together. On its way back today.

Clearly finding a cheap grinder is not the right way to go....anyone have a suggestion for a grinder out there around the $300 price point?

Lookin on Amazon to use up some gift cards but I don’t trust any reviews from those sites - especially since the unit I am returning was rated great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

aeb498b95614bb898f179cc87e4e5efa.jpg&key=684c9b937619d2246745442e681d3bdeb5ccc912fc4176e01da69674200c0b06

Rolled the dice on this POS (under $100) and LOST!!!

Put together and threw some partially frozen pork fat in to grind for some venison burgers. Gummed up immediately and pushed off the main ring that holds the unit together. On its way back today.

Clearly finding a cheap grinder is not the right way to go....anyone have a suggestion for a grinder out there around the $300 price point?

Lookin on Amazon to use up some gift cards but I don’t trust any reviews from those sites - especially since the unit I am returning was rated great.

What about one of those kitchenaid grinders that attaches to your mixer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What about one of those kitchenaid grinders that attaches to your mixer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have an older kitchenaid (less power I assume than modern versions) and had the sausage maker/grinder. The parts were all plastic (except the dyes(sp?)) and never worked for me.

Ended up going old fashioned on 2lbs last night.

63d9b6c761895f3f7970e6e4eeeee622.jpg

Works great but the 2lbs took about 20 minutes to prep the partially frozen meat small enough to fit and run through three times. I have about 30 lbs to do from my deer and my buddy’s so that ain’t all happening by hand!!

• Like 2

I have a small grinder from Gander Mountain, I think its only a .20 hp unit. It does ok, Ive been grinding between 2 and 5 deer per year with it for about 7 or 8 years now. Its slow, but it does the job. Eventually Ill upgrade to a larger one, but probably not until this one is dead. I bought it on a Black Friday deal for $59 IIRC

• Like 1

I use the kitchen aid attachment and it works like a champ.   i think cost about $60.  i did 12lbs of deer and 3lbs of almost all the way frozen pork fat for breakfast sausage, and it took about 35 minutes.  I'm in no hurry,  i put everything in the freezer for about an hour before i start.  I alternate between meat and fat to push any fat thru that hasn't come out yet of the grinder.  the kitchen aid you cut the meat into strips not chunks.  i make patties not links.  i would like to get a stuffer to make links, thats next on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Them old had ones are easy to convert to power for less than 50 bucks.. a couple of pulleys  or gears and electric motor and your in good shape mounted it to a 2x12 x2ft and just c clamp it to work bench and plug in.. it's about 50 years old now.. like to see a new grinder stand up to that.. if motor goes new ones are easy replacement

I've thought about getting one as a backup.  forever I've used my dad's he kept from back when he had a general store.  it's a smaller commercial Hobart.  Thing's probably 40 years old and still runs great.  I feel like a grinder is one of those things you save to send more and buy once.

I had a 2 yr old kitchen aid, the largest one they make, that was used probably 10 time to mix batters and other eazy stuff.  Got the grinder attachment, and in 5 min the mixer was junk.  Sent it back to KA, and was told it would cost 2/3's of the original cost to fix. Not worth it. 

I bought a grinder from DICKs over 10 years ago . It's a NorthEast Outfitters grinder . 800 Watt -120 volt motor . Grinds 2# / minute and has a built in temperature fuse so the motor won't burn out . I have no idea what the HP is though . 

I grind a lot of burger and in the 10 years I may have ground 20 - 25 deer and my son has ground a few . DICKs had the grinder for half price so I paid $50 plus tax . It was an excellant investment .

So on the first pass of partially frozen meat do you just use the cutting blade ( looks like a cross ) WITHOUT the grind plate? I put the largest hole plate after the cutter and everything clogged almost instantly (it forced the retaining screw on thingy(technical term!) off)

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I had a 2 yr old kitchen aid, the largest one they make, that was used probably 10 time to mix batters and other eazy stuff.  Got the grinder attachment, and in 5 min the mixer was junk.  Sent it back to KA, and was told it would cost 2/3's of the original cost to fix. Not worth it. 

i use mine all the time for the last 5 years and its worked great . Maybe it had something wrong with it otherwise.  I have the grinder and the sausage attachments and it works great 

yes have to use the cutter or it wont work right ...... I made the same mistake . lol 

I used the cutter and largest plate with the new unit I am sending back and it blew th retaining ring off. Not sure my kitchen aid had a cutting blade

48 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So on the first pass of partially frozen meat do you just use the cutting blade ( looks like a cross ) WITHOUT the grind plate? I put the largest hole plate after the cutter and everything clogged almost instantly (it forced the retaining screw on thingy(technical term!) off)

I use the cutting blade with the largest hole plate. For regular venison burger, I only grind it once with the large hole plate. For sausage, using the large hole plate I grind the venison alone once, grind the pork alone once, then grind the venison and pork combined, then add spices and mix everything. For snack sticks, summer sausage, etc Ill use a smaller hole plate for the second grind before adding the spices.

hi , first did you assemble the cutter and the dies the right way i did it backwards the that happened to me and i said this thing sucks then i realized it was me and did you put the parts that come in contact with the meat in the freezer too for about 20 min. lastly did you use the largest die first cause the smaller ones will do that too their  not made to take whole meat. please under stand im speaking from experience the machine i got was my dads and its 40 yrs old and works fine [ he passed away and i inherited so i was on my own ]  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i use mine all the time for the last 5 years and its worked great . Maybe it had something wrong with it otherwise.  I have the grinder and the sausage attachments and it works great 

I'm glad yours has been working for ya. 

Highly doubt there was something wrong with my mixer. It worked great the few times I used it with the normal attachments.