Don’t buy this POS grinder

crappyice

Round 2:

It made it through 2 1/2 lbs of venison and pork fat but with issues that I hopefully can show in this video. Skip to 45 seconds until you enjoy watching meat being ground.

Final result but the restraining nut thing popped off at least 4 times

13194ffc8b0f9b527bd713f611317467.jpg&key=723534bffb1a23698b540f85fd06adc21dfa7d6dc562f117c8c38893597e0cec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago a buddy and myself set out to process a couple of Deer we took that season. He brought over his brand new Gander Mountain heavy duty grinder which hopefully was going to make the whole deal of grinding meat for burger and sausage go down like a breeze. We had just begun grinding and his new machine had a major breakdown where it's drive gears actually sheared and snapped off their teeth.

I broke out the wife's Kitchen Aid stand mixer and grinder attachment and got the meat processed with no more  problems. While not quite as fast as a big dedicated grinder it still did not take too overly long to get the job done and did a perfect grinding job. The Kitchen Aid stuff is American made and made to last, it has metal gears, it's build quality is superior to the Chinese junk plastic geared Gander Mountain which looked impressive but in reality nothing more than garbage. 

I made up several pounds of burger just a few weeks ago using the Kitchen Aid and everything went as smooth as silk.

Crappyice, sounds like your Kitchen Aid is not set up quite right with the grinder or it may possibly be defective.

As for the big bad Gander Mountain grinder they did not stand behind their product. My buddy got it as gift a couple of years earlier and the warrantee had long run out, so even though it was technically brand new and  being used for the first time they went strictly by the book and did not stand tall.

Edited by airedale

wow i watched the video a few times strange the retaining nut never unscrewed it was like it was never on  i think you might be right you have a defective model

That’s what worries me too but I also don’t know if I was just forcing it too hard. On the second pass with the smaller plate, no issues. Really up in the air about what to do. Dropping $400 on a grinder doesn’t make much sense to me

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

Any grinder that I have used has the retaining ring thread onto the mount . Never heard of one coming off when grinding . The ring only needs to be hand tightened . 

That's exactly what I was going to say.  Never saw a machine without a screw on plate and blade retainer.  Crappy are you sure you have installed that properly? I've had an inexpensive Cabelas grinder for a bunch of years now and it does the job without issue. No need to buy a $300 machine if you only use it for a deer or two a year and occasionally for other meat in my opinion.

After watching the video three times I still don't see a cutting blade. Either it came off in the meat or is not there. Like others said there is no way the retainer ring should come off while grinding. I would definitely check to see if it is assembled correctly.

• Like 1

I have found one thing to be true in the meat processing world. All meat is generally the same and you don't need to overpay for something because cabelas or gander put its name on it. Most commercial products that are highly reviewed will do a good job.

i can't speak highly enough about my grinder that i've put a dozen or so deer through now. Check the specs compared to some of the "outdoorsman" models and it's at least $100 cheaper and does awesome. comes with the sausage stuffer too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KJBR0/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also check your process. I double grind as i assume most of you know to do. start with the widest plate, go through once then go down to the small "spaghetti" plate for the second pass. 

Edited by Belo

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Doesnt that retaining ring thread onto the grinder housing (if thats what youd call it)? Also, you are using the cutting blade and installing it with the flat side to the plate, correct?

wow i didnt notice that the cutting blade i didnt see it .when i first made my sausages i put it in backwards and the meat gummed up like that. i learning curve

• Like 1

I have found one thing to be true in the meat processing world. All meat is generally the same and you don't need to overpay for something because cabelas or gander put its name on it. Most commercial products that are highly reviewed will do a good job.
i can't speak highly enough about my grinder that i've put a dozen or so deer through now. Check the specs compared to some of the "outdoorsman" models and it's at least $100 cheaper and does awesome. comes with the sausage stuffer too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KJBR0/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also check your process. I double grind as i assume most of you know to do. start with the widest plate, go through once then go down to the small "spaghetti" plate for the second pass. 

Good looking unit

Yes, the blade is on the wrong way, but I still can't figure out why everything is popping out on you? You still haven't described how the plate and blade get held into the grinder?  Does that retaining piece get screwed on?  If it does I can't understand why the plate and blade pop out, because it shouldn't no matter if the blade is on right or backwards.

Yes, the blade is on the wrong way, but I still can't figure out why everything is popping out on you? You still haven't described how the plate and blade get held into the grinder?  Does that retaining piece get screwed on?  If it does I can't understand why the plate and blade pop out, because it shouldn't no matter if the blade is on right or backwards.

Auger inserted in housing - it has a “female” end that accepts the rod from the motor, then the cutting blade, then the plate, then the retaining ring is screwed on.

Why it pops off theories-Cheap metal? Very thin threads? This is the biggest reason I may not be keeper g the unit

Yep, you have the blade backwards. That is going to cause alot of pressure on the plate, which its not designed for, so the metal twists and bends, and the end cap pops off. Plus, the blade and auger are causing the plate not to sit straight in the tube. You can see it right in the one picture you took. Most grinders are built with the same type of cast metal as yours. Most likely nothing at all wrong with the grinder. Turn that blade around and you should have no problems.

• Like 1

Looks like the blade is on backwards. If it isn't on properly the collar will not screw on all the way which may be causing it to fall off. Also the two ears on the plate need to set in the corresponding notches in the housing so they will not move when the retaining cover is screwed on over it

• Like 3

others have said it. turning the blade around the right way should help a lot.  like steveD said the plate is keyed. it all should go on right and allow you to screw the last collar piece on with lots of thread engagement. when you do use Crisco or something on the threads and just snug it hand tight. otherwise you won't get it off easy.  blades are meant to sheer the meat by working against the back of the plate. i think all grinders are like that.  my dad's old Hobart we wait every year to die. it just hasn't yet.  meanwhile, I've looked at other grinders and the "better" ones at Gander.  I took the whole things apart in the store and the fit and machining didn't seem as good.  lots of slop in the fit with the auger, blade, etc.

“F this Mother-F’ing F’er” might have been the words uttered when I set up for round three and the retaining ring popped off after the first bit of partially frozen meat was inserted (even with the cutting blade “correctly” inserted. The threads of the housing tube and the retaining ring are just not hacking it.

Re-re-re-packed and going back.

I will give Belo’s recommendation a dance for $150 or so

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

“F this Mother-F’ing F’er” might have been the words uttered when I set up for round three and the retaining ring popped off after the first bit of partially frozen meat was inserted (even with the cutting blade “correctly” inserted. The threads of the housing tube and the retaining ring are just not hacking it.

Re-re-re-packed and going back.

I will give Belo’s recommendation a dance for $150 or so

uh oh.  Got feeling this piece of equipment might get the "office space" treatment!  hide the baseball bats!  

that sucks.  nothing like being setup to go and not have it work right.  Gonna make some snack sticks myself this weekend.