Don’t buy this POS grinder

crappyice

Wait...I took a pic of my set up- is my cutting blade backwards? Shitty photo directions on the box (not even in the manual)
eefd3f8cd45093d0113d055d055e7b21.jpg&key=64fd8a92de11546f19406768cbc96da21f376a38b6b7f979a3efba804628fa41
e9c68890d54de62fe3b15aecacbf1adc.jpg&key=d2dad883c9e911c4c8606e18686e0c69b9356a3ad72fb1a3d33cf7c533112964
3ee1770865df95440cf14dbe9f5d579f.jpg&key=2e60b97052368cf0f7a2ad11a196c36ad3a53bab597b377a5a7b9de87ef61e1c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised the directions weren’t clearer, mine stressed the hell out of this because it’s sort of counterintuitive that the blade faces away from the meat, but it helps keep the blade sharp as it presses agains the plate. You should keep each plate paired with its own plate and use the same side too. You will see after a few deer that it will leave its mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“F this Mother-F’ing F’er” might have been the words uttered when I set up for round three and the retaining ring popped off after the first bit of partially frozen meat was inserted (even with the cutting blade “correctly” inserted. The threads of the housing tube and the retaining ring are just not hacking it.  Re-re-re-packed and going back.

I will give Belo’s recommendation a dance for $150 or so

You won’t be disappointed and you get a sausage stuffer too. It’s Keyed so you can’t really do it wrong but here are some pics. Note the first 2 pics show the plate and cutter mating. Keep each plate together with the same cutter for their life.

Another tip that isn’t required but recommended is to freeze all the metal parts before grinding.

de37da5a4a34c8856908c897c6f8bd2c.jpg&key=d2c41be17513d491afe55b1a5adf5624f7b36994d1da7899374497d2bfe0bf6c

215ad604d3712f8e1eb7394099957194.jpg&key=5369eee4aaceb5e3bb9e2b77f5214884c308c6ba4bfb40962290c92e03958ac3

713ae11bf2547b8e9f4ff11cbb2feea3.jpg&key=6f658fbb68749cc8712b7fff2d626669be02aa259797c652c50e649be185d69b

de768483f07a3d837a4856ef5d7ee710.jpg&key=45a3908537e321030036c7e4742517e0b70c874e33c0075d35acc2c5cbbbad2c

• Like 1

Thanks Belo- those pics help a great deal- already I can see the difference in quality by looking at the grind “screw” - the one I just returned had such a skinny pin that inserted to the motor. Encouraging change

Yeah she’s a workhorse. I don’t even cut up the meat all that much. You won’t have that pattern on your plate at first, but I’ll develop and you just want to keep using the same side with the same blade.

56 minutes ago, Belo said:

Yeah she’s a workhorse. I don’t even cut up the meat all that much. You won’t have that pattern on your plate at first, but I’ll develop and you just want to keep using the same side with the same blade.

That's what I said about my ex. lol She's long gone

• Haha 1

6.5 pounds of venison 2 pounds of pork and an additional 1 1/2 of pork fat met its demise this morning!!! Worked like a charm- the extra $80 was well worth it. I have 4 pounds of hit Italian sausage chilling and hope to stuff it tonight

• Like 3

Just a heads up, stuffing with a grinder works, but its not ideal. You will get an air pocket in the center of the sausage. While its not the end of the world, I find that they turn out a bit on the dry side after cooking when they have that air pocket. If you are going to want to do sausages, I would recommend buying a stuffer. I picked up a 7lb stuffer from Home Depot last year and it works great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-7-lb-Capacity-Vertical-Sausage-Stuffer-801637/206814675?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D29B+Housewares|_pkw__pmt__product_206814675&mid=spqnFKJHw|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_51166497102_pkw__pmt__product_206814675_slid_&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvrfSBRC2ARIsAFumcm8A_WCH8Ryi7j8NZ7vGJjDfee8kRFr1mrq4_qLvuwnlrvz9jRTm-doaAkS4EALw_wcB

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 9:25 AM, mlammerhirt said:

How about a Cabela's grinder.....all the ones I have looked at in the store for under 300 seem pretty nice.

Just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet since the kitchen aide attachment I would brand new in a box at a garage sale works great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My grandfather has one of the basspro grinders I think his is a #20 or real close to it. I like the ones that www.sausagemaker.com sell. They have one down near me in horseheads.

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Just a heads up, stuffing with a grinder works, but its not ideal. You will get an air pocket in the center of the sausage. While its not the end of the world, I find that they turn out a bit on the dry side after cooking when they have that air pocket. If you are going to want to do sausages, I would recommend buying a stuffer. I picked up a 7lb stuffer from Home Depot last year and it works great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-7-lb-Capacity-Vertical-Sausage-Stuffer-801637/206814675?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D29B+Housewares|_pkw__pmt__product_206814675&mid=spqnFKJHw|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_51166497102_pkw__pmt__product_206814675_slid_&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvrfSBRC2ARIsAFumcm8A_WCH8Ryi7j8NZ7vGJjDfee8kRFr1mrq4_qLvuwnlrvz9jRTm-doaAkS4EALw_wcB

Get a foot pedal, I have used my grinder to stuff with for close to 7 years with no air pockets. The key is never let the throat run out. With the foot pedal it is like have a 3rd arm. I will run the meat down in the throat get off the pedal pack more in and keep going. If you can get your kid to help keep it full it's a win win.

Get a foot pedal, I have used my grinder to stuff with for close to 7 years with no air pockets. The key is never let the throat run out. With the foot pedal it is like have a 3rd arm. I will run the meat down in the throat get off the pedal pack more in and keep going. If you can get your kid to help keep it full it's a win win.
Sounds like a great deal, do you have experience with a particular one that has worked great?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

The air pocket isnt created by letting the grinder throat become empty, I dont let mine become empty. Its caused by the shaft of the auger that is smack in the center of the grinding plate.

The other advantages to a stuffer are that you dont have as much left at the end, where a grinder will typically have a bit of meat that doesnt get pushed through, and you cant easilly add chunks of cheese or other things that you may not want cut up into the sausage. For example, I like to do batches of snack sticks with cheese chunks in them. I tried doing it with the grinder and it didnt work too well due to the plate the sausage and cheese had to go through. With the stuffer, it just pushes the cheese chunks right into the casing, packed in with the meat. Stuffers are also alot faster than a grinder.

I've used both the grinder and a dedicated stuffer. If you go the stuffer route, buy a couple of giant C clamps to clamp the stuffer to the work surface. Otherwise, it is a two person job, one to hold the stuffer steady and a second to crank the handle. (I've done the stuffer by myself, and it's not fun.) I bought one like this on Ebay for $100: link 

• Like 1

You guys are good and answered three of my questions already(extra meat left in tube; air bubbles; how to keep a consistent flow).

My first run I think I packed too much meat (first time I EVER did that!). I had some busted casings. Any tricks to tying off the ends- that shit is slippyer than snot.

552548240ed146c750ce2923817924ac.jpg
Overall real happy with my first go!

• Like 1

I buy LEM products straight from the manufacturer. Its just not wise to scrimp on apiece of equipment like a grinder. I bought the LEM big bite #12. Just super impressed with it. The thing just eats meat.The year after we got it we decided toget the jerky attachment so we could make chicken jerky for our dogs as treats. The jerky attachment with the foot pedal works flawlessly. the wife trimmed 18 pounds of chicken breast today and filled the dehydrator. i took a pic of the jerky  for you to see what you what it looks like. 

jerky.jpg

lem.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vizslas said:

I buy LEM products straight from the manufacturer. Its just not wise to scrimp on apiece of equipment like a grinder. I bought the LEM big bite #12. Just super impressed with it. The thing just eats meat.The year after we got it we decided toget the jerky attachment so we could make chicken jerky for our dogs as treats. The jerky attachment with the foot pedal works flawlessly. the wife trimmed 18 pounds of chicken breast today and filled the dehydrator. i took a pic of the jerky  for you to see what you what it looks like. 

jerky.jpg

That looks like the dehydrator I used for the first time today. I made 6# of ground venison jerky sticks. I had defrosted too much meat for the cured sausages I made yesterday. The dehydrator I used is an Excalibur 10 rack with timer my wife had got me for Christmas. I wasn't sure it was worth getting when I got it. But I must say, compared to our convection oven that has a drying setting, it did a real nice job. The meat seemed to dry more uniformly (and gently, if that makes sense) all around compared to the oven.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TACC said:

Sounds like a great deal, do you have experience with a particular one that has worked great?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I got the Cabela's grinder foot pedal: link  They are annoyingly expensive, but very useful if you are using the grinder to stuff casings.

I wonder how hard it would be to rig a foot pedal from an old sewing machine. Basically the same thing.

• Like 1