Corny idea??

Zag

So my dad had two best friends. One passed away maybe 5 to 6 yrs ago and the other passed away unexpectedly on Xmas Eve. Both were avid outdoors man. Obviously he's pretty upset his last best friend is gone well before his time.

My dad had a pond put in this fall and I was thinking about maybe naming the pond after one of them and name the food plot the other, maybe make up a nice wood sign with the name?? Good idea or no?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, zag said:

So my dad had two best friends. One passed away maybe 5 to 6 yrs ago and the other passed away unexpectedly on Xmas Eve. Both were avid outdoors man. Obviously he's pretty upset his last best friend is gone well before his time.

My dad had a pond put in this fall and I was thinking about maybe naming the pond after one of them and name the food plot the other, maybe make up a nice wood sign with the name?? Good idea or no?

Ok, I hit the trophy icon..  The trophy icon is for thanks, but I think it should be for" great friggin idea".

Your dad would greatly appreciate it, and when he's gone, you'll remember the times he said "I'm going to xxx's stand". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zag said:

That is a very nice gesture zag.  Another option would be to plant a couple real nice trees in memory of your dad's buddies, adjacent to the pond. 

• Like 1

I think its a nice idea too, any pictures of them together? If so maybe frame them, and give them to your dad.  The older you get, the less corny these ideas are.  You mean well, so no matter what you do for your dad, even if its a sad reminder, I can't imagine it will upset him negatively. 

Sorry for the losses.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That is a very nice gesture zag.  Another option would be to plant a couple real nice trees in memory of your dad's buddies, adjacent to the pond. 

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that but gosh if that tree died that would be terrible!

49 minutes ago, zag said:

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that but gosh if that tree died that would be terrible!

True enough, but......

A good friend's mom died about 12 years ago and he and his brothers and father all pitched in and planted a beautiful tree overlooking the pond at their cabin.  It is doing great and all the family continues to enjoy the beauty of it. 

About 30 years ago my father was offered an opportunity to pay to have a tree planted in my grandfathers name at a local power boating club.  That tree has also done tremendous......

One more; one of my very best friends died of lung cancer at the ripe old age of 40 in October of 2002.  (never smoked a cigarette, pipe or cigar in his life)  Shortly after he died I felt like I had to do something.  I found out that the Town of Amherst had a program where a tree could be purchased and put along a well traveled bike path in the town.  A plaque would be created with any phrase/message you could come up with.  At the time the package was pretty pricey so I got about a dozen other close buddies to pitch in and we got it done.  The first year (the Town of Amherst screwed the pooch big time) all the young trees in the newly established program were HAMMERED by bucks rubbing their horns.  I told them they better wrap them prior to the fall but they didn't.  Since then they changed their program and DO wrap the younger specimens.  The tree was not girdled, just rubbed badly and its growth has been stunted, sadly.  About 14 years later its a good looking tree, planted for a friend.  A great friend.........

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1