Off Hand Shooting Technique

moog5050

I shot targets a lot before I started hunting.  In fact, it’s what prompted me to start hunting.  

I was a decent shot off a bench but never did much off hand shooting.  Now I rarely hit the gun range and most of my shots on Deer are offhand.  If I can find a tree to lean against, I do, but in a stand I am not really “compact” enough to comfortably rest against anything, including my knee.  

I am an average shot off hand but would like to improve.  So please share your technique.  Where do you shoulder the gun (closer to chest or further out)?   Do you pull the rifle into your shoulder to steady?  Where are you putting pressure on the stock?   And how slow is your trigger pull?   Any other tips?

the pellet thread got me motivated to shoot 20yds in the basement with my pellet gun again. Practicing offhand and standing.  If you can shoot a magnum Springer pellet gun well a rifle should be easy   Lol  

Anyways, let’s hear from you snipers.  

my thoughts, despite I have no idea if you're a better shot than me.  I've learned a lot from shooting one-handed NRA bullseye pistol matches and shotguns at birds. always create a vertical pocket with your shoulder and put the butt stock locked in it. it's more apparent where that is if you keep that elbow up.  elbow completely horizontal is too tense and uncomfortable. just a touch lower and there's a sweet spot.  butt stock is pulled in snug but not so much your creating fatigue if you have to hold for more than several seconds. if the target is close enough and isn't too small you can use directional motion to steady the shot.  like coming down or up the leg to your point of aim with a bow.  using your muscles to move in a single direction minimizes movement in other perpendicular directions. controlled trigger squeeze and big enough (close enough) target is needed though. for further shots I like to have my forend grip a little closer to the receiver with elbow as directly below the stock as comfortable to be consistent.  I've got a slogan outdoors sling that has a little stretch to it so I can get my arm in quick but still have something consistent holding the barrel down. slow or fast trigger pull isn't important. need controlled trigger squeeze. learned this with rapid course of fire during pistol matches. it should smoothly increase in pressure and straight back as possible until it breaks.  bones on your finger joints are sensitive and more prone to abrupt or erratic trigger pulls. finger pad should contact it and be bottomed out in the deep spot on the curve of the trigger. match your grip to how you can best pull on the trigger, not the other way around. rifle grips are open enough to give you room to move around. don't choke the hell out of it. grip it as if your holding your wife to catch her from a fall.  feet are huge too.  even weight distribution on your balls and heals of your feet and split between the both of them.  otherwise you unconsciously stay balanced by shifting weight to different parts of your foot. those shifts in weight translate to movement sent on up through to your gun.  everything wants to be a balanced push or pull that you can repeat. that'll lead to better follow through. when the gun recoils the crosshairs will jump off target and consistently to the same spot, by no effort on your part to put them there. grip and everything should end up being all muscle memory, simply thinking about it won't be as consistent or accurately repeated.

sorry for the long post. i'm an engineer and think about things way too much.

My deer this year was taken with my Henry 30 30 off hand at 70 yards with no scope. I like to keep everything loose and let the rifle push back . My brother was a infantry weapons officer in the marines ( I think) . The biggest tip that ever helped was the slow trigger pull.

Well, my .o2 is you first have to have some practice off hand. Always want the butt firm in your shoulder especially if it's a heavy kicker. Me personally, although it's been a few seasons without an offhand shot is i always pull up with both eyes open, get on my "place" as fast as possible (shoulder), take a deep breath in while doing this and once I'm solid on my mark, slow exhale while pulling the trigger. I found that if I slowly exhale it made me want to slowly pull the trigger. As far as for you, you have to be comfortable. Sometimes having the correct LOP on your gun can drastically increase accuracy offhand. I'm taller and always put a butt pad on of some sort to get a more comfortable hold Vs me feeling like I'm holding a child's gun. You have to see what feels best for you ! As far as what I think you should do on stand... Get a monopod shooting stick. The trigger sticks are badass and can be adjusted quickly to accommodate most shots. One thing I will also recommend if you do explore the stick option is to have it hanging on a hook, or secured to stand. That odd chance you have to get up or turn to shoot you don't want to have to hang stick back up, or have it fall from your stand while you have one coming in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Some good advice.  One thing I realize is that being thick and then add winter layers, I find it tough to find a comfortable spot on the shoulder to place the butt.  It’s not bad in a tee shirt but I seem to like a shorter LOP.  I shoot my little henry really well off hand and I suspect that’s part of it.  Also I was pulling the rifle into my shoulder via my right hand today and just barely supporting the forearm with my left with left elbow tucked in.  This seemed more accurate than putting any pressure on the forearm.  Bench shooting I put very little pressure on the gun but I need more to stabilize off hand.  Appreciate the comments.  I will think also more about how I am pulling the trigger too.  Too slow and I get jumpy but I don’t want to jerk it eithet. 

When shooting targets @ 100 yds offhand I used as much skeletal support as possible, minimizing muscle support of the rifle.

Target work is a much more deliberate (slow) technique and may or may not lend itself to the shot opportunities while hunting.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

What part of your trigger finger is touching the trigger ? I have better luck if I get the trigger closer to the  middle of my finger instead of the tip.

Bottom of pad just before first joint (farthest from the hand).  Do you place the trigger after the first joint?   

10 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

When shooting targets @ 100 yds offhand I used as much skeletal support as possible, minimizing muscle support of the rifle.

Target work is a much more deliberate (slow) technique and may or may not lend itself to the shot opportunities while hunting.

I think I need to be more deliberate when hunting.  I know I rush shots.   Don’t get me wrong, I kill deer fine but I think I could become a better shot if I really focus on proper technique.   I just need to figure out what that is.  Lol

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think I need to be more deliberate when hunting.  I know I rush shots.   Don’t get me wrong, I kill deer fine but I think I could become a better shot if I really focus on proper technique.   I just need to figure out what that is.  Lol

i have a tendency to do that too!  I make it habit now everytime before i shoot with gun or bow to tell myself to slow down.......it works sometimes lol.  I always found the biggest thing is not to tense up - to make your self shaky.  

Find what works. As long as YOU are comfortable and can land well placed shots, run with it. Practice what you think you need to improve on. Not saying its what you do, but hitting the bench for 5 rounds before season will not help your offhand game.

As far as the whole LOP, I have 2 different limbsaver pads that slip on and off all my hunting guns in a second. One is big one is med. Once I switch my gear to late season stuff I start running the medium. If you change your LOP and don't practice with it that will also effect your accuracy. So, bundle your ass up and go chootin....lol. Seriously though. Bigger coats Vs a tee shirt your basically shooting a whole new gun. The only thing you familiar with is the optics as your hold on the trigger could be changed as well as lop

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ever since the run-up of ammo cost, I do 99 % of my off-season practice with a BB-gun (prior to that I used a .22 rimfire).   My favorite shooting game involves a beer or soda can, hooked by the tab onto a wire, attached to a tree branch.  I bought an adult-sized stock and a big loop for my daughter's Daisy Red-ryder.  That provides the same LOP as my deer weapons, and allows the bb-gun to cycle almost as fast.  The objective of the game is to see how few bb's it takes, and/or how long it takes to cut the can in half.  It gets tougher, when you get down to the last narrow strip of aluminum.  Cutting off the clip, to drop the top half of the can, adds even greater challenge.  Wind, or motion from previous bb impacts, get's you some great experience at "moving targets". 5000 bb's can be had for $5, so practice cost is minimal.  You get a lot more practice in a lot less time this way than you do by shooting cans off a rail.   The only downside, is you also get a lot less cardio workout by not having to run back and forth to set the cans back up.  Time is the ticket though, and having a few thousand rounds of practice under your belt by deer season is a great confidence builder.  

The real payoff happens during deer season, where all that practice on tiny moving targets, with open sites, in the offhand position, makes killing and recovering deer (even if they are moving), with a scope, from a rest, about as easy as taking candy from a baby.  You still need to take a few shots each season with your deer weapons to check the zero however.      

Edited by wolc123

I just picked up some shooting steel for this very same reason.buckmaster7600 recommended it in a thread on here. i'm going to start with my .22 and 3030 light lead loads and move up to the 3006's as I get better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-1-2-American-Steel-Shooting-Targets-3-4-5-6-Gong-Bundle/302180597194?hash=item465b5dfdca:g:1G8AAOSwNnRYjShg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I am an average shot off hand but would like to improve.  So please share your technique.  Where do you shoulder the gun (closer to chest or further out)?   Do you pull the rifle into your shoulder to steady?  Where are you putting pressure on the stock?   And how slow is your trigger pull?   Any other tips?

Needed to get better at off hand for a hunt in October and shot a pile of 22 at 2" steel targets at ranges of 25 to 75 yds during the summer. 5 to 20 shots a day and 5 as fast as possible reloading and hitting a 50 yard target. (1.5-5 power scope at 1.5 both eyes open)

I'll be curious to your results as we are opposite of physical build. I tend to really pull a gun tight to shoulder to roll with the shot as I'm shooting typical heavier kickers (30 magnums and in this case 375HH and 458 win mag). Wrap my sling into my support arm and choke up on my grip as I like a muzzle heavy feel, keep my weight forward on front foot to allow for recoil.

Equipment wise my triggers are light and crisp which I think makes off hand easier; use the tip of finger on trigger.

Shot the most ever offhand on hunt, and made a nice 150yd snap shot at a smaller animal with confidence.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Needed to get better at off hand for a hunt in October and shot a pile of 22 at 2" steel targets at ranges of 25 to 75 yds during the summer. 5 to 20 shots a day and 5 as fast as possible reloading and hitting a 50 yard target. (1.5-5 power scope at 1.5 both eyes open)

I'll be curious to your results as we are opposite of physical build. I tend to really pull a gun tight to shoulder to roll with the shot as I'm shooting typical heavier kickers (30 magnums and in this case 375HH and 458 win mag). Wrap my sling into my support arm and choke up on my grip as I like a muzzle heavy feel, keep my weight forward on front foot to allow for recoil.

Equipment wise my triggers are light and crisp which I think makes off hand easier; use the tip of finger on trigger.

Shot the most ever offhand on hunt, and made a nice 150yd snap shot at a smaller animal with confidence.

That’s the plan Dinsdale.  Much like trad shooting, I just need to find what works best (hence my inquiry) and repeat a billion times.  I just need to shoot a lot and will do so.   Would love to have confidence at 150 offhand.    I definitely need a rest or tree now for that type of yardage   

Wolc

i plan on practicing several times a week with the pellet gun.  I shot my best back when that was my primary practice tool.  Just kinda forgot about it.  But it is coming back out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Wolc

i plan on practicing several times a week with the pellet gun.  I shot my best back when that was my primary practice tool.  Just kinda forgot about it.  But it is coming back out. 

Our older daughter got a 1000 fps, .177 cal break-action pellet gun for Christmas.  Dick's had it on sale for $60.   We don't have any pellets yet though.  I will pick some up this weekend and see how it works.  The rifled barrel and pellets should be better for longer range practice than the smoothbore Red-Ryder.   It came with a 4X scope and decent looking fiber-optic sights.  We will probably leave the scope off to start, since the open sights are closer to what she uses on the high school rifle team.    

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Our older daughter got a 1000 fps, .177 cal break-action pellet gun for Christmas.  Dick's had it on sale for $60.   We don't have any pellets yet though.  I will pick some up this weekend and see how it works.  The rifled barrel and pellets should be better for longer range practice than the smoothbore Red-Ryder.   It came with a 4X scope and decent looking fiber-optic sights.  We will probably leave the scope off to start, since the open sights are closer to what she uses on the high school rifle team.    

Wishing her the best with her competition.   

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

With Spring action airguns you need to teach her how to use the artillery hold if you want the best accuracy with them and you have to test out different ammo or look up what shoots best with the  model air gun you got .  

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

To maximize "skeletal" support, wedge your fore-end support arm against your chest. Grasp the fore-end where ever it allows a comfortable grip. Shift your weight back to try to center the balance of the rifle as much as possible. A sling helps but you may not have time to employ one under field conditions. Use the meaty part of the 1st finger joint on the trigger.

I used to be able to hold 4"-5" groups at 100 yds with a flintlock rifle offhand with iron sights, but a had a set trigger too..

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Great comments here so far.

I shoot woodswalk blackpowder competitions, all offhand.  A few thing I learned....

Some people shoot well offhand with a shotgun stance, some shoot well with a rifle stance.  Basically, rifle stance is both your feet at a right angle to the target.  Shotgun stance is off maybe 20 degrees.  Basically take an unloaded gun and mount it to you.  With your eyes closed twist left and right, feel the strain.  Get right between the extremes of strain and focus on your center, where it feels your not forcing it at all either left or right.  This stance can be more helpful on a moving target.   Remember to maintain rifle movement on a moving target.

I shoot plenty,  I personally feel 150 on live game offhand is not advised.  Focus on 75 or less.  With any gun or shooting style.  The distance I can comfortably shoot a 6 inch gong most of the time, then cut 33% off that distance.  That's how far I shoot with that stance or firearm.  IF you spook a deer at 100 or 150 in the woods, then you werent stalk hunting that well.  IF you see one, you got enough time to find a tree.

Also, practice those leaning against a tree shots.  Either offhand or supported, practice like it's a deer there.  Slow and smooth movements.  Start every shot fresh....   Unmount the gun, step out of your stance, then step back into your stance, mount, and shoot.

Your practice rifle should be the same as your hunting rifle.  22lr rifles are too light,  I added lead into the stock on both ends of my marlin bolt gun to match my hunting rifle.  I did the same with my CZ 455 to match my flintlock rifle.   Make sure the gun has similar trigger action and use the same optics.  I actually add trigger pull weight to some guns, and tune trigger to act similiarly to another gun.  Same kind of crosshairs, similiar magnification, or the same sight style if using iron sights.  It's much easier to own a bunch of guns than it is to become really good at shooting one gun........  Usually, the best flintlock shooters own the least rifles......

When I do shoot, I reload quickly, but smoothly, and get the gun back on target.  Most times I only do that.

Also, folks screw up the safety method they use.  Practice the method you use, either it be chambering a round, cocking the hammer back, or moving the safety.

We get dumb when we see a nice buck, but we do perform like we practice.  If we don't practice, then we dont know what happens.

I shoot plywood deer with metal gongs as vitals, and shoot small paper deer.

Stalk hunt squirrels.  You get months and months to practice, you get many more chances to harvest one, and you have to get a bit closer to get them with a 22....  A real good stalk hunter will enjoy squirrels as much as deer.

Camo up your face and your hands......   The year I started doing that, deer and squirrel hunting got a bit easier........

Edited by sailinghudson25

10 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I shot targets a lot before I started hunting.  In fact, it’s what prompted me to start hunting.  

I was a decent shot off a bench but never did much off hand shooting.  Now I rarely hit the gun range and most of my shots on Deer are offhand.  If I can find a tree to lean against, I do, but in a stand I am not really “compact” enough to comfortably rest against anything, including my knee.  

the pellet thread got me motivated to shoot 20yds in the basement with my pellet gun again. Practicing offhand and standing.  If you can shoot a magnum Springer pellet gun well a rifle should be easy   Lol  

Anyways, let’s hear from you snipers.  

I can't add much to this but will try anyway.......although I've never done as Dinsdale has; practice deliberately for a specific hunt/reason, I've certainly burned plenty of .22 ammo over the years off hand but strictly for S&G.  The past 2-3 years has seen me burning the least amount of ammo in my life with the past shortage of .22 ammo and a career change.  Just the other night I was thinking I needed to up my shooting this winter when ever I can.

Like you moog, shooting off hand is tough for me while on stand.  I need a bar across (and I do have one on my climbing stand) the front of me in any treestand or a tree/branch/bush etc to steady on whenever I can for a sure shot.  I killed three deer with a rifle this year; one from the climber and two from ladder stands.  A rest was possible on ALL three stands or I wouldn't have been in them.

Over the years I've killed more than a few deer off hand but would rather not.  Sometimes it's a necessity as in a wounded deer or a shot possibility arises while heading in or out of the woods.

I give you high marks for making the conscious decision to improve your shooting skills.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can't add much to this but will try anyway.......although I've never done as Dinsdale has; practice deliberately for a specific hunt/reason, I've certainly burned plenty of .22 ammo over the years off hand but strictly for S&G.  The past 2-3 years has seen me burning the least amount of ammo in my life with the past shortage of .22 ammo and a career change.  Just the other night I was thinking I needed to up my shooting this winter when ever I can.

Like you moog, shooting off hand is tough for me while on stand.  I need a bar across (and I do have one on my climbing stand) the front of me in any treestand or a tree/branch/bush etc to steady on whenever I can for a sure shot.  I killed three deer with a rifle this year; one from the climber and two from ladder stands.  A rest was possible on ALL three stands or I wouldn't have been in them.

Over the years I've killed more than a few deer off hand but would rather not.  Sometimes it's a necessity as in a wounded deer or a shot possibility arises while heading in or out of the woods.

I give you high marks for making the conscious decision to improve your shooting skills.  

And thanks to you folks on the pellet thread, I  now shopping for a new magnum Springer.  Might even chase some small game around in January.  

• Like 1