Transfering/giving

Dom

I am not sure how to transfer ownership of a gun my nephew wants from me.Do we bring Gun to a dealer and sign paperwork together or does he take the gun himself?
Think you have to both go and then he does the background check and everyone goes home happy. THANKS A LOT CUOMO YOU D-BAG!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

He legally can not  take possession until paperwork is complete. So says Andy the DICK-tater. But hasn't your nephew really owned that gun since birth????..........................

The firearm was purchased for him but still legally mine now that he is old enough and has passed his hunter safety course The time has come for him to have it.It's only a mossberg 500 in 20 guage/I have all reciepts and paper work to show where it was purchased

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

The firearm was purchased for him but still legally mine now that he is old enough and has passed his hunter safety course The time has come for him to have it.It's only a mossberg 500 in 20 guage/I have all reciepts and paper work to show where it was purchased

Purchased pre safe act?................................If so, wasn't the gun ALWAYS "his" all along????  :derisive:

• Like 1

As much as it sucks do it the legal way. You both go to a licensed dealer he gets a background check and then legally owns the gun. I think the most a dealer can charge for this service is $15. Make an evening out of it and stop of coffee or hot chocolate afterwords to celebrate . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

As much as it sucks do it the legal way. You both go to a licensed dealer he gets a background check and then legally owns the gun. I think the most a dealer can charge for this service is $15. Make an evening out of it and stop of coffee or hot chocolate afterwords to celebrate . 

And this shows the young man the right way to do something, even if you don't believe in it.  Later in life, he'll have choices to make............

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

And this shows the young man the right way to do something, even if you don't believe in it.  Later in life, he'll have choices to make............

You are right, of course. And you truly are a wise man Larry. Doing the "right" thing for the young ones, is never wrong. Because two wrongs, do not make a "right".  I should have known this. My apologies for insinuating otherwise. But I still feel Andy is a Dick-Tater!  And in time, the young ones can decide for themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salmon_Run said:

Integrity is taking the correct action whether or not you agree with the law.

Lets hope this young man receives this weapon and learns all the responsibilities that accompany weapon ownership.  

I do not consider a fire arm/gun a weapon unless used in a manner other than what it is for Hunting.

I think there is an absolutely legal way to do this Dom without a dealer. Not sure if your father or mother is alive but a rifle or shotgun can pass between parents and children/step-children without any check or paperwork.  from you to your father or mother and then to your sister/brother and then to your nephew. all with no checks or paperwork. 100% legal. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

Technically private sale of a long gun doesn't require NICS (not yet at least), but then again if you want to teach the kid what's right then FFL is the way. If he just became of age then probably will pass the check with no issues. On one hand you will have legal docs of transfer (shall this gun become a liability) on the other, Uncle Sam doesn't need to know, this is still fully legal. Your call....

8 minutes ago, bkln said:

Technically private sale of a long gun doesn't require NICS (not yet at least), but then again if you want to teach the kid what's right then FFL is the way. If he just became of age then probably will pass the check with no issues. On one hand you will have legal docs of transfer (shall this gun become a liability) on the other, Uncle Sam doesn't need to know, this is still fully legal. Your call....

you think he will pass if he isn't 18?

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you think he will pass if he isn't 18?

Well that is a curve in my giving at this time.The boy will only be 15 in January the gun is still in origanal package never opened except when I bought the gun.I guess he will have to wait for it to be his.

Well, that completely changes the situation if he is only 15.   Legally he can't own a gun yet.  My suggestion would be to just hold the gun for him and don't transfer to him until he is 18 if he doesn't live with you or have someone with firearms experience in his household.  You can still let him shoot it when you are with him hunting or at a range.

Law is kinda vague on this though, some states have no minimum age for long guns but federal laws under GCA says 18 for long and 21 for hand guns.

As we know the state can put more restrictions but not less, so to be safe I would use ATF guidelines 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-customer-have-be-certain-age-buy-firearms-or-ammunition-licensee

This for purchase from FFL only mind you, private sale of long guns are not federally regulated (as far as I'm aware)