Backpack hunting the Adirondacks

clillard94

A friend and I are trying to plan a week long backpack hunting trip in the Adirondacks during rifle season in 2018. We're looking to hike 4-5 miles and set up camp, then hunt the surrounding area. Problem is, we don't know which trail or even region to choose because we've never been to the Adirondacks. We're looking for an area that's wooded, but also has large openings, and somewhere close to a good water supply. Can anyone please give me a few pointers on which trails would be good for something like this?

Thanks

• Like 1

There are many areas as you describe.  I would suggest you decide how remote you wish to be and study some trail guides or maps of the upstate area.

A popular area is Simese Ponds in Hamilton County near the Warren County border. 

It is remote hunting, great beauty and few deer but offers the tent hunting experience.   

• Like 1

yeah thats a lot of area.  If you go the siamese pond area or really a lot of spots, best be sure you have some maps.  I would also suggest a couple of scout trips so you know where your going.  Thats some BIG woods.  Wouldnt just go up there and go for it without some scouting first, unless youve really done some wilderness camping and backpacking before.  Ive gone up and looked at a topo and picked out some spots that looked good to hunt - funnels etc.  Then cut off trail to get to them and find a ravine in the way that wouldve scared lewis and clark.  

• Like 1

The Adirondack park area has many opportunities with state lands open to hunting.

The woods are rugged and can be remote, behind my camp I could walk about 75 miles and not cross a roadway or marked trail. It’s beautiful country but you need to be prepared in backwoods travel and camping in winter conditions. 

Siamese Ponds is one such area of many.  Part of the lure is the remoteness and planning of the trip .

There is a member on by the name of Robin

He has a number of videos on here showing his adventures You might get some idea of what the country is like but regardless of where you go make sure you go ahead of time to check things out.

Here is one of his videos:

• Like 1

Hunting in the adk' s can be very frustrating with the low deer numbers but the scenery and not seeing another hunter drive's me to go back year after year and if you do happen to see a buck it usually is a slammer just be prepared bring a GPS compass and a map and something to start a fire good luck to you

After you locate an area, do a  summer trip to scout.  Remember to critique what you forgot, what you wish you had bought and what you could do better to make the stay more enjoyable.  Make notes and study  discuss them with your friend when you get home.  Also the summer trip is an opportunity to build a fire pit and stock some wood for October.  Less work to prepare camp so you can hunt more.

Both you and your friend should have good walkie talkies in case your separated.

Lastly prepare how you will get a deer and/or bear carcass out of the woods.    I use a sled. 

On 12/29/2017 at 9:55 PM, Steve D said:

There is a member on by the name of Robin

He has a number of videos on here showing his adventures You might get some idea of what the country is like but regardless of where you go make sure you go ahead of time to check things out.

Here is one of his videos:

Thanks Steve, 

I like the Lows Lake/Bog River Flow area. A canoe is best for getting you into some really wild country up at the western end of Lows Lake.  Otherwise, one idea is to park at the lower dam canoe access for Lows Lake and follow the trail that leads to Trout Pond. From there you might pick up trails that lead up towards the RR tracks which will put you into some remote country.

• Like 1

your options are endless. I would highly recommend you start with a summer hiking trip though so you know what you're getting in to. definitely buy a good handheld gps and on the summer trip you can tag spots to come back to. I am very familiar with the old forge / raquet lake region if you end up there. 

do note, that while the daks are vast there are some areas that are just an absolute bitch to try and hike through. i have had my most fun canoeing to remote areas. 

Edited by Belo

On 12/29/2017 at 10:53 AM, clillard94 said:

A friend and I are trying to plan a week long backpack hunting trip in the Adirondacks during rifle season in 2018. We're looking to hike 4-5 miles and set up camp, then hunt the surrounding area. Problem is, we don't know which trail or even region to choose because we've never been to the Adirondacks. We're looking for an area that's wooded, but also has large openings, and somewhere close to a good water supply. Can anyone please give me a few pointers on which trails would be good for something like this?

Thanks

What is your experience level for camping and hunting?  It might effect some of the recommendations. 

• Like 3

So many places to go the first thing you need to do is pick a spot.  2nd is you better be in great shape!  Hiking your gear in one day and setting up camp and braking down camp will require one day each so figure you only have 5 days to hunt if you go for 7 days.   If your not in shape you will not hunt very hard after hiking in and setting up!  

Locations:  I hunt Moose River Plains, many locations to hunt in this area.  Moose River, Blue Ridge and West Canada Lakes are some of the areas in this location.  Siamese Ponds, Hoffman Notch, Vanderwhacker Mountian and the High Peaks offer other alternatives.  All really depends on where you want to try.  Boat you have access to other area's some include Long lake, Cold River, Cedar River flow along with the many other rivers and lakes available.  

I would also get all the wood prepped and ready so you don't have to do that when you get to the location and make it remote, so others don't burn all your wood before you get their.  Simply put the more you prep the camp site before the less work you will have to do when you get to the spot. 

Like stated before about prepping wood, the same goes for scouting, you will probably want to do at least 2 trips before you choose a location and then start to prep the area.  Do all the hard work before you get to the location.  Storing food and supplies before you go will make the trip more enjoyable and fun.  

Word to the wise:  Every year someone looses their life in these remote woods, be prepared for any possible issues, keep in touch with good radios, GPS for location, first aid kit, flashlights and batteries.  You phone will not work in most of these areas, leave it in the car as it is dead weight.  Water purifier is a must as water is to heavy to carry.  

Easy trip would be Indian Lake (In Moose River).  It's about a 3+ mile hike to the lake on an old dirt road so hiking would be easy along with any items you want to roll in.  You could also bring a canoe or kayak and load all the gear in that for transport.  The other good thing about this area is it HAS deer!  

• Like 1

If you wanna go way up north try franklin falls pond state wild forest. Its just outside of Saranac lake ny. If you have a canoe you cross it at the boat launch and youll go across to hayes brook and the back side of Mackenzie mountain. Theres plenty of places to set up camp. Even can camp on an Island. It's in franklin county ny  another place is barnes pond wild forest. They have I think 8 camp sites and grills and outhouses and a lot of woods to hunt and a good deer population. Its located in Clinton county ny. Good luck let me know if you make it up this way I could show ya around.

I can't hugely comment on places.  The best is one you know well.

What I would try.  Ask the NYSDEC forester about what has been logged in the past 5-10 years.  Plenty of forage is what keeps deer around.  Also, my experience with the Stillwater reservoir area.    Once there is a good foot to 18 inches of snow, the deer go to dense confier lowland areas.  They yard up.

There has been a few new places the DEC has acquired from logging companies.  These might be good.

I'd do a real early april weekend with some snow cover.  See how many footsteps you see in the area.

Make the hunts enjoyable.  Work hard to get some venison in the freezer the first 2 weeks of bow season.  Then the pressure is off......... 

• 4 weeks later...

keep in mind, the further in you go, the further out you have to pack something....

I would consider a close alternative, canoeing in. As was previously mentioned, there are a lot of good access points, either to and from the same launch point, or dropping a car off at a pick up point. Lots of maps of canoe routes are available,  you can scout from the canoe, most canoe routes are through public lands, and best of all you can more easily bring your deer out. 

Different areas: Cranberry Lake,  the Fulton Chain of lakes....usually starting somewhere around Old forge, but going all the way up to Tupper Lake and beyond, with access points plenty in between, 

Lake Lila, St. Regis Canoe Area, on and on...