Recommended deer call apps for phone?

goosifer

I guess electronic calls are now legal for deer. I want to get one because my feeble attempts to use a manual call just sound like I'm playing the kazoo. Also, someone suggested getting an outdoor bluetooth speaker and playing the calls through that. Brilliant! I hadn't considered  doing that.

Anyone have any deer call apps for android they could recommend? (or say don't bother with?)

Ive tried most of them, they all suck. Personally Id rather have an e-caller with a remote. You can put it a short distance away from you, maybe 10 or 20 yards, then if and when the deer come to it, their attention isnt focused directly on you (had that very thing screw me a few times).

I have a Primos Alpha Dogg and the deer grunts sound pretty good. One of these days Ill remember to give it a try while Im deer hunting.

• Like 2

WNYBH, do they suck due to the quality of the recording or the quality of the speaker? I'm wondering if the bluetooth speaker might make them more useful.

I bought an e-caller for coyote hunting last year. I will have to see if it has, or I can program, deer calls.

I have an app called "whitetail deer calls" there's like 20 different calls.. I really have only used doe bleats and doe contact calls which are nice and short 2-3 seconds long...... there is a nice grunt that I used this year to a 2.5 year old buck about 50 yds away when I forgot my grunt tube one night.. he lowered his head and trashed a small tree in front of me but didn't come any closer than 50 yds.. pretty cool experience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

Not to bust chops/balls where can I find information as to useing Electronic deer calls in NY.I was talking just the other day about calls with my nephew and told him that the elec deer call are illegal in NY,

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Q: Is it legal to use decoys and electronic calls to hunt deer?
A:
 Both decoys and electronic calls are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field. Some hunters wrap a strip of blaze orange material around the decoy when carrying it.

Q: Can I use an electronic call for coyote and other furbearer hunting?
A: 
Yes. You may NOT use an electronic call for turkey, ducks or geese.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Q: Is it legal to use decoys and electronic calls to hunt deer?
A:
 Both decoys and electronic calls are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field. Some hunters wrap a strip of blaze orange material around the decoy when carrying it.

Q: Can I use an electronic call for coyote and other furbearer hunting?
A: 
Yes. You may NOT use an electronic call for turkey, ducks or geese.

I knew we could use decoys but was not aware of using ecalls for deer every thing keeps changing and the hunting/trapping guied booklet hasn't that information

• Like 1

I killed my 11pt this year when it came to whitetail deer calls app. Mild doe bleat.. 30 sec long call. As for the quality.. deer seem to be the judge of that..it works called in several small bucks with it as well.  Like camo appeals to the hunter (deer see it completely different) so do sounds of deer tube type calls.. imo actual recordings cannot be out done.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gjs4 said:

Are there people who feel the ability to produce a more refined deer vocalization is the key to a better deer hunting experience/outcome?

Yikes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same as people.that need the best camo or scent elimination clothing.. or equipment. 

If someone has problems making decent calls or just wants ease of not having to carry more crap with them.. it's a great alternative.. it's a rattle bag .bleat.grunt. roar,exectera. ALL IN ONE! Less to.carry = more enjoyment for some.

• 2 years later...

Wanted to revisit this issue. Has anyone tried using a portable bluetooth speaker connected to their phone to use a deer calling app? Yesterday, I used a grunt call and then had to freeze for two minutes when the buck looked in my direction in reaction to the call. I was thinking if I had a bluetooth speaker 10-20 yards in front of me, that would be better.