Let's talk Turkey........Feathers..

Robhuntandfish

Ok guys and gals I thought about this the other day and can't think of a better time than the day between his birthday and new years.....

But Turkeyfeathers is pretty much the grand pooba on this site we all know it.  And we all owe him for his sage advice, funny quips, enlightening posts and overall help with a lot of things.  So we need to return the favor and offer our advice as best we can.  

We need to talk him into joining the ranks of us bow hunters.  We all enjoy it so much and I know he has thought about it.  My suggestion is to start off with a crossbow as it is prime hunting time and the transition from gun to crossbow is an easy one....a trigger a scope and don't have to practice for endless hours.  (Let's stay on point here no bow vs crossbow arguments) 

So what say you people.......talk him into it and all that he is missing out, we owe him that!!  

And if you don't agree with the push to get him into bowhunting at least give him the best advice you can today.  But I am hoping we can talk him into it.  Plus he will be able to chime in with more advice and stories for us too with bowhunting!

Ok Turkeyfeathers, here we come!  Lol and thanks for your input on this site all year!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My suggestion is to start off with a crossbow as it is prime hunting time and the transition from gun to crossbow is an easy one....a trigger a scope and don't have to practice for endless hours.  (Let's stay on point here no bow vs crossbow arguments) 

Excellent advice right there

Ha, not sure about the grand poobah of this forum but as mentioned before "you are all my family and friends"   Used to have FB but quickly dumped it . WE on here all have common interests which makes this forum so easy for us to jump in. Slow times at work allow me to peruse the threads.

For umpteen years I've said I was going to buy a bow and take the certification class but somehow it hasn't happened as of yet. I'm all for it BUT after brother just closing on daughters and I's property to hunt we're in a pickle where to hunt.  He's been trying to sell it for years.  Taxes were killing him. He feels terrible but it's something he simply had to do. The new owners hunt so doubting we'll get any hunting rights by asking. May 1st is rapidly approaching for spring birds so door knocking with her present is in our future. Bummer as saw a winter flock of 50-60 birds during gun. They'll split but it was pretty encouraging to see. Dang, got to know those woods pretty well too ! $hit happens as they say. But some of you guys already knew it was getting sold and was sold and quick to find new stomping grounds for us and that's much appreciated.

Can't believe how many deer you guys/gals see during bow season. My cams prove it too. By gun season, poof they're gone.

Thanks for the thread. Pretty sure this will be the year ! ( well that sounds familiar lol)

Wish we could transport this tree. Killed 13 birds from sitting up against it and maybe 6-7 from within a 100 yards of it. Have always wanted to kill a gobbler with a bow

014105C0-6872-4C5C-9B72-9D7F9A5F11B3.png

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

It is definitely a real fun time of year when deer bow and fall turkey are open at the same time.  Two years ago I had two big does just out of range to my left and across the field 14 turkeys. They all walked around the field for an hour and never got a shot at any of them but it was great.  Have shot one with the bow before, was surprised they didn't see me draw.

Good luck on finding the new spot to hunt that really sucks for sure, esp after being there so long.  

A lot of people are more open to bow hunters too if ypur looking for new places to hunt.  There is just so much more action, it's warmer, it's just the best time of year.   Take the class with your daughter then she will be able to bowhunt if she ever wanted to and something cool to do together.  

• Like 1

I have hunted for 3 bow seasons so far, and I would recommend it too.  TF, you seem to simply love the woods, you seem to be out there, as much as time allows....going to a bow, or crossbow will allow even more opportunity to sit.  You may feel you sit enough,  for your fill lol, but it is nice regaurdless.   I am not a great hunter, but i do put my time in, and during crossbow season, I saw more bucks this year, then my entire hunting career.  I enjoy the little bit more mild temps as well.  I use a compound at the moment, but actually put an envelope aside that says "crossbow" with a $100 bill inside, and will be adding $20 here, $50 there, until mid summer, and I am going to buy a crossbow.  I limit myself to about 20-25 yards with compound due to the myoelectric arm, so crossbow will help me reach 30-40 yards with good practice im assuming.  

Just some of my experiences for TF to chew on, to see if it sparks any ideas.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 3

There is no doubt that Jay, aka Turkeyfeathers is one awesome hombre! I had the pleasure of meeting him, and some other great guy's from WNY, in person last bow season. Thanks to an invite from moog, another awesome hombre! I'm certain, that everyone  there, will never forget "The Wheel"! .....lol. Jay's sense of humor is not matched by many! There is no doubt that TF's has the hunting skills, to be an awesome bow hunter, should he decide to join the ranks! I have a bunch of assorted archery stuff, like rests, sights, arrows and things that I would be willing to send out to him. If I had an extra working bow, I'd send that too! The idea of getting together with some local guys to shoot with him is a great one! And the crossbow is definitely a great idea too! (I got some extra stuff for that too.) So whataya say, TF, will 2018 be the year we see your smiling mug, in a picture with a bow killed deer? Hope so!

• Like 4

I would like to add that I'm fortunate enough to have well over 500 acres between two properties of land to hunt. Though we are separated by a four plus hour drive, Jay you and your daughter will always have an open invitation to hunt here with me. Even have two spare bedrooms here at the homestead! Would love to have you anytime! Roadtrip???

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, grampy said:

I would like to add that I'm fortunate enough to have well over 500 acres between two properties of land to hunt. Though we are separated by a four plus hour drive, Jay you and your daughter will always have an open invitation to hunt here with me. Even have two spare bedrooms here at the homestead! Would love to have you anytime! Roadtrip???

Oh yeah......pick up moog5050 on the way here! Now that would be epic!

• Like 2

I have a Bowtech Old Glory with Jays name on it, free of charge. I believe I even have the proper mods, we checked his draw length last year when we talked about this lol. It’s definitely due for string and cables but it’s certainly ready to go for now. There goes your last excuse buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Take the course and get out there TF.... I simply enjoy seeing the deer in their natural patterns, not to mention the weather is so much more pleasant during bow versus freezing winds and snow.  You will also come to realize just how many more people are in the woods come gun season!!  It's kind of scary actually.  Unfortunately I do not own my own property... Good luck

• Like 1

Let me know if you have trouble getting into a bow class.....I have heard they fill up quite fast around wny. My club...Evans Rod and Gun(about a 45 minute drive) does offer a bow class each year, and a personal friend is the instructor. I think their is an online portion and a shortened classroom seesion because of the online work. In and out in one day and you and your daughter will be all set to with the bow cert.

If you love being in the woods during gun season.....hold onto your hat cause your going to be blow away with activity during bow!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Grampy and I aren't far apart and you can Add all mine to that as well Jay. You make the trip and what's mine is yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

TF, I know Hawkeye Bowmen offers a bow certification course and I'm sure Dino can get you and your daughter in. She should do the course with you even if she isn't interested in bow hunting, the class is very informative and it's once and done. Hawkeye has some youth sized bows that she would be able to shoot. Definitely worth looking into it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

It'd be nice if you could come up with a local spot to hunt Jay; Lancaster, Elma, Marilla etc.  Maybe someone here can help point the way??

Definitely a compound a cross bow is for people with handicaps only in my opinion but that’s just my own opinion. I have a brand new Scott release for him it’s my back up and be more than happy to give it to him. He has a local spot he can hunt my Clarence property anytime he wants. Just not the biggest trac. He also has a place to shoot. My shop offers indoor shooting I take my daughter there all the time. He will be on board this year . 

• Like 2

All I can say is holy crap ! Sodfather and The Real TC asked me to go shooting today. I already committed to watching a movie with mamma. Dog barks, I hear a vehicle leave the driveway and I look. I find an incredible bow in front hallway. Tacks , holy $&@?  I literally got tears. Huge shout out ! Don’t even know what to say or how to thank you my friend. What an amazing start to 2018   I’m simply in awe and lost for words. Did this really happen ?! Can’t wait to take the course and be out there when deer are moving naturally. The stealth mode , warmer temps , the close and personal part of it all. Owe you huge Tacks ! 

• Like 18