Who has winter trail cams out?

genesee_mohican

I think this is one of the best times of the year to have the trail cams out in full force to see which deer made it through the season and to get some more neat photos of deer and other wildlife.  I have 3 cams set up on my small parcel behind the house and another down in the park and I'm planning on putting a few more out there in the next few days. 

This buck passed by the camera quite a bit all season, so I'm hoping he'll be around again next fall.

MFDC7163.JPG

• Like 6

I keep them out until about the end of February early March to see which bucks made it through and to see when the majority have dropped their antlers.  Then I refresh all with new batteries and put them back out again at some point during the first week or so of Turkey Season in May to watch antler development. 

I have one camera out. I am wondering how this prolonged stretch of super cold weather will be wearing on the batteries. I should check soon and see how things are holding up.

Anybody have any preferences in battery choices for maximum life in these stressed conditions?

Edited by Doc

I leave mine out all year at camp. I put fresh battery's in them the last day of northern zone . With the lake effect tug hill got this week they may be under snow.

I've got two spy point force 11d and two browning strike force,one being the pro version out there. Hoping battery last to April as they typically do.

17 is how many cameras (all homebrews) I've got out right now. Cameras not just for deer, but also for flying squirrels, fox, bobcats and any other critters the cameras may capture on their memory cards. My last blog post (https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/) was of photos of bucks from before and during the early part of PA's firearms deer season.

Edited by Woody Meristem
  • Like 3

Still running 9 cams year round. I only bring them back to the house once in a while to give them a good cleaning.

I've stayed with Duracells for the winter months and have had great luck.

I've got two cameras with those tractor supply batteries. I had great luck during the warmer months so we'll see how they fare through the cold temps. Although they were 2-3 months old going into December. Should be a tough test!

On 12/31/2017 at 10:59 AM, Woody Meristem said:

17 is how many cameras (all homebrews) I've got out right now. Cameras not just for deer, but also for flying squirrels, fox, bobcats and any other critters the cameras may capture on their memory cards. My last blog post (https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/) was of photos of bucks from before and during the early part of PA's firearms deer season.

I had my first encounter with a flying squirrel this bow season scared the be-jesus outta me when he flew towards my face while sitting in the tree. Pretty neat watching him glide from tree to tree.

10 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I had my first encounter with a flying squirrel this bow season scared the be-jesus outta me when he flew towards my face while sitting in the tree. Pretty neat watching him glide from tree to tree.

I had a whole family of flying tree squirrels  nesting in one of my treestand seat cushions. When i picked up my cushion i had squirrels gliding all over the place, if i sat first they would have been squashed. Good thing i saw the fabric move a little. Cute little buggars.