Who has winter trail cams out?

genesee_mohican

Not sure how many I have out now. Lose count sometimes.

I'll pull most of the better cams in mid-January and leave behind some lower tier cams in their place and let them sit either til turkey season scouting time or when we do some summer prep work.

I've also been turning over some of my regular cams to prep for new models in 2018.

23 hours ago, chas0218 said:

I had my first encounter with a flying squirrel this bow season scared the be-jesus outta me when he flew towards my face while sitting in the tree. Pretty neat watching him glide from tree to tree.

Flying squirrels are really cute, AS LONG AS they stay where they belong!

• Like 1

Pulled all of mine out the woods this week. What a week to choose to walk the snow and cold! that was brutal lol. I left 2 out, that are on diminished winter plots. Not a ton of sign like usual. Left em anyways. They were all on the neighbors, in a hay field that never got its 2nd cut and in a plowed under and disked in soybean field. Between the 2 fields side by side there had to be 40 deer or more. Couple slammers, all out at 345pm and in plain view from 2 roads. 

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled all of mine yesterday morning. Went through the pics, found that some of the bigger bucks made it through the season. One that I thought had been taken showed up about a week after season ended. I wiped all the cards, loaded 5 of them up with batteries, and Ill be setting them up on our new place this week if I have a chance.

I pulled cards and relocated 3 cameras last weekend. I was surprised to have only one picture of a buck, half rack forkhorn. I had a ton of does, a few coyote and fox.  I came across a very large track a few weeks ago, so I followed it and found where it soon came together with 5 others and beded down. I put a few cams up in that area in hopes of getting a shot of the heavy deer.

Another camera was placed on the side of the gorge where I found a well traveled coyote path. It also had one deer track and a few fox so I'm looking forward to seeing the cards in another month.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It was such a nice afternoon, I came home early from work to check cameras. Of course, sun disappeared and it started raining during the last half.   Better than at my desk though!

I have this pic of the buck as well as a video of him on 2/14, still holding. 

F01E72EF-73EB-4D4F-B569-891FDCEACD8D.thumb.jpeg.9f099a167c304b94cb33611b08bdf189.jpeg

I am not happy to see this fisher on my property.  I have heard nothing good about them.  Except maybe they cut down the squirrel and chipmunk population quite a bit.

507526DE-2F58-4835-B17A-26D3154A1BBB.thumb.jpeg.3ba471a6d145d23ecb84903901ff656f.jpeg 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Otto said:

It was such a nice afternoon, I came home early from work to check cameras. Of course, sun disappeared and it started raining during the last half.   Better than at my desk though!

I have this pic of the buck as well as a video of him on 2/14, still holding. 

F01E72EF-73EB-4D4F-B569-891FDCEACD8D.thumb.jpeg.9f099a167c304b94cb33611b08bdf189.jpeg

I am not happy to see this fisher on my property.  I have heard nothing good about them.  Except maybe they cut down the squirrel and chipmunk population quite a bit.

507526DE-2F58-4835-B17A-26D3154A1BBB.thumb.jpeg.3ba471a6d145d23ecb84903901ff656f.jpeg 

That's a great Fisher pic!

Just got to thinking, I may still have a Browning out .. I'm sure its dead running on Alkaline since November. Whenever this snow melts ill have to go make sure my thought processor is working correctly lol. Damn snow, Now their calling for another 1 or 2 storms in the next couple weeks..

8 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just got to thinking, I may still have a Browning out .. I'm sure its dead running on Alkaline since November. Whenever this snow melts ill have to go make sure my thought processor is working correctly lol. Damn snow, Now their calling for another 1 or 2 storms in the next couple weeks..

I was just hoping it was going to melt and no more. My winch crapped out after getting half our driveway plowed, looks like I have to order a new one before anymore snow flies.

I haven't had much deer sign in the last few days on the property but have had some dog tracks that aren't my dogs. I'll have to keep an eye out for the yotes. 

Edited by chas0218

Picked my Browning cam up 2 days ago.  I put it out in September, and moved it Dec 1st.  It had 500+ pictures since December, and read 68% battery with the same set of Duracells I put in it sometime in September.  No headgear.  The  local does spent a couple weeks devouring the brassicas, even digging through 8" of snow to get them. Then they left.  Not much action since then.

• 3 weeks later...

I leave mine out . The ones in Walworth don't show much activity as the swamp has overflowed and the deer are taking different travel routes . Only getting night time raccoon pics .

Going to head to Geneseo this am and check my cams there . Hopefully there will be more Turkey photos . 

Pulled cards from Trail Cams and deleted all the unnecessary crap plus reset the time on the cams . It was rough walking through the field and woods as the mud kept trying to suck the boots off of my feet . I'll see about posting pics tomorrow . I am tired !

I've had 3 or 4 cameras out and set to take video since end of the season and only had two small bucks show up on the cards. I feels like mid gun season for buck sightings!  Lots of does w young ones and had a nice flock of turkey and a few coyotes. I still need to venture in deep to get my last cam and hope to soon.