Interesting story on a violation

YFKI1983

In a New York minute !

This guy called the cops on himself and then was shocked that he was written up ? Did he think they would say ok no big deal , here’s your tag back and we’ll donate the meat, you’ re free to go kill more bucks ?

• Like 4

Story's like that make me wonder why anyone would want mandatory AR's.   I am very thankful that we don't have them here in NY.   It seems like "trophy" hunting is starting to fall out of favor, while meat-hunting is on the increase.   That means we should be free from mandatory AR's here in NY for a few more years anyhow.       

• Like 3

I'm afraid I don't really understand the guy's confusion. He failed to determine that the buck was a legal deer to shoot, but he shot it anyway. What did he expect?

I guess he is saying that he expected a pass because it was an honest mistake. but I have never heard of people getting a pass because it is claimed to be an honest mistake. I think there have been some speeding tickets that I should have been able to get excused simply because it was an "honest mistake". I'm no fan of AR, but as long as it is the law, I'm thinking that you had better be pretty darn sure of the point count before shooting.

• Like 7

I agree. Just thought maybe they would take the deer and the tag. Didn't know if the fine was excessive since he turned himself in. Who knows.

I am torn on AR. For my property I like it because it has helped grow bigger deer but also hurts because it isn't easy to get a doe tag. The buck I killed this year was in a no AR zone. If it wasn't, I wouldn't even have been able to shoot as everything happened so fast and I didn't have time to look in my binoculars. Ended up being an 8 pt I would have let walk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Story's like that make me wonder why anyone would want mandatory AR's.   I am very thankful that we don't have them here in NY.   It seems like "trophy" hunting is starting to fall out of favor, while meat-hunting is on the increase.   That means we should be free from mandatory AR's here in NY for a few more years anyhow.       

Another very unproven stupid statement from this poster. You think the more you say it them it will be true?? Nothing is further than the truth. Today's hunter and hunting is all about making/finding and killing the most inches possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Another very unproven stupid statement from this poster. You think the more you say it them it will be true?? Nothing is further than the truth. Today's hunter and hunting is all about making/finding and killing the most inches possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not for ars and could really care less we do have them in some areas and that is fine with me.Alot of hunters are only after the antlers/trophy and not the real reason for taken an animals life.When I go to local far/butcher I choose what animal I want to have in my freezer some time its a lamb/kid goat or veal/as  a hunter if you want to shoot a spotted fawn or a big Buck you are the one behind the trigger your choice.

3 minutes ago, Dom said:

I am not for ars and could really care less we do have them in some areas and that is fine with me.Alot of hunters are only after the antlers/trophy and not the real reason for taken an animals life.When I go to local far/butcher I choose what animal I want to have in my freezer some time its a lamb/kid goat or veal/as  a hunter if you want to shoot a spotted fawn or a big Buck you are the one behind the trigger your choice.

No Doubt..Until laws are put in place saying what you can and cant shoot.    That said, Someone making a statement over and over that is proven to be the furthest from the truth proves plenty.

8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

No Doubt..Until laws are put in place saying what you can and cant shoot.    That said, Someone making a statement over and over that is proven to be the furthest from the truth proves plenty.

Those laws are already in place this is why some areas have a 3 point on 1 side rule and some areas do not get doe permits.Some hunters are only after bigger/bucks that is their choice I will eat what I want and no one can or ever will tell me differently.I hunt because I like being outdoors and helps at time's when money is short I also fish for the freshest in season we never here debates on fish like we do on land animals why?100.00 dollars a season is alot less then having to go to the store and purchase food that we have no idea where it comes from.I am not for illegal poaching and such but dont grudge me or any othere that wishes to fill their plate that the land/seas have to offer

5 minutes ago, Dom said:

Those laws are already in place this is why some areas have a 3 point on 1 side rule and some areas do not get doe permits.Some hunters are only after bigger/bucks that is their choice I will eat what I want and no one can or ever will tell me differently.I hunt because I like being outdoors and helps at time's when money is short I also fish for the freshest in season we never here debates on fish like we do on land animals why?100.00 dollars a season is alot less then having to go to the store and purchase food that we have no idea where it comes from.I am not for illegal poaching and such but dont grudge me or any othere that wishes to fill their plate that the land/seas have to offer

Again!  Dont really care. But yes with laws you will be told what you eat to a point and also making statements that are furthest from the truth will be exposed.

I can see all these real hunters with trail cams out there checking them saying...man i hope that 100lbs spike buck came thru here today.  Might happen, But not in any numbers thats for sure.

I read that article and can sympathize with the poster. I was hunting in Pa this year and saw a deer about 80 yards behind me in a lane. I had a DMAP permit, so it was legal for me to kill a doe. I didn't see any antlers and the deer stepped behind a tree. I had a clear shot through its shoulders, I was about ready to take it-but for some reason, I decided to wait. 

The deer stepped into a clearing and put it's head down. I was shocked to see some kind of growth on itshead-the strangest little Antlers I have ever seen. My cousin's husband told me that he had watched that deer in a field for 20 minutes at dawn. Using binoculars it took him 5 minutes to see a pair of spikes and a kicker, all the size of man's pinky.

It probably would have been legal for an antelerless deer, but I wasn't going to chance it. I understand how someone could kill a deer, taking a safe shot, and be confused about the exact details of the  antlers. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Again!  Dont really care. But yes with laws you will be told what you eat to a point and also making statements that are furthest from the truth will be exposed.

I can see all these real hunters with trail cams out there checking them saying...man i hope that 100lbs spike buck came thru here today.  Might happen, But not in any numbers thats for sure.

Maybe I am not understanding.Your way of hunting and mine are different like many others my statements are of truth from my experiences/As far as real hunters those are the ones that put their time inthe woods looking learning the way of the animal being hunted,We as the modern hunters have become lazy this is why we do not see as many deer to many tools stands/warmer gear camera/trail.

I understand it's the law, but I think the fine here was excessive.  He was hunting 40 yards from his house, so he could have easily just waited until nightfall and dragged the deer back to his garage and not told anyone anything.  Law enforcement would have never known a thing.  He instead was honest and all he got was a steep fine and even had the deer taken away from him.  I could understand a lesser monetary summons being given to him, but having the deer taken away just doesn't seem right in this particular scenario.  Law is the law, I understand that, but law enforcement needs to take some things into consideration sometimes.  Not everyone who breaks a law does it intentionally or with malice.  Sometimes it can be an honest mistake which I would say is what happened here.

• Like 7

I understand it's the law, but I think the fine here was excessive.  He was hunting 40 yards from his house, so he could have easily just waited until nightfall and dragged the deer back to his garage and not told anyone anything.  Law enforcement would have never known a thing.  He instead was honest and all he got was a steep fine and even had the deer taken away from him.  I could understand a lesser monetary summons being given to him, but having the deer taken away just doesn't seem right in this particular scenario.  Law is the law, I understand that, but law enforcement needs to take some things into consideration sometimes.  Not everyone who breaks a law does it intentionally or with malice.  Sometimes it can be an honest mistake which I would say is what happened here.

That’s what he should have done. He made a mistake and seemed to genuinely be upset about it and I bet he won’t do it again. What good is reporting himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

That’s what he should have done. He made a mistake and seemed to genuinely be upset about it and I bet he won’t do it again. What good is reporting himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can guarantee that will be the last time that guy reports anything

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, erussell said:

Have to fill out as soon as you kill a deer  so its used and cant be kept

PA's laws are so different than NY.Once our tag is filled we cant just go purchase a new tag because the deer we shot is not what we were intending to shoot/kill.I am not sure how you hunt but I do not fill out my tag until I have said/shot/killed deer in my hands,some deer/shot killed are not recovered untill next day

If you can get Encon to show up for anything- be happy..... even turning yourself in. They’re so spread thin and busy.

Yet again with this thread it is painfully obvious that some just disregard laws and others really needed to learn the math side of economics/responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Dom said:

PA's laws are so different than NY.Once our tag is filled we cant just go purchase a new tag because the deer we shot is not what we were intending to shoot/kill.I am not sure how you hunt but I do not fill out my tag until I have said/shot/killed deer in my hands,some deer/shot killed are not recovered untill next day

Pretty sure if you have just "killed" a deer its still not running around the woods so yes a dead deer gets a tag filled out. Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

Not surprised at all how this was handled.  The ECO has no idea what the hunters intention was; even with calling it in himself.  The ECO had three options 1) walk away (not do their job) which could backfire on them or 2) partially handle the violation which could backfire on them or 3) handle the violation, completely (which is their job).  I do not believe the ECO makes up the cost of the violation, they are part of the law.   The deer are the property of all the people of the state; an illegally taken animal will/should always be confiscated; otherwise many people would make the "honest" mistake claim.  The only recourse is for the hunter to plead not guilty with an explanation.  It is then the role of the judge to rule on/determine if it was an "honest" mistake and the judge can reduce or eliminate the fine.

Edited by DoubleDose
formatting