Interesting story on a violation

YFKI1983

On 12/31/2017 at 5:49 PM, Paula said:

I think for his honesty he should have gotten to keep his tag

i'd rather he keep his deer and lose his tag. so now for his mistake he doesn't get to kill another buck all year (assuming only 1 buck rule anyhow), but at least keeps the meat. if it didn't pass ARs it's not like this was a trophy he lost. 

or maybe loses next years tag or something? I just hate seeing the guy lose the meat. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'd rather he keep his deer and lose his tag. so now for his mistake he doesn't get to kill another buck all year (assuming only 1 buck rule anyhow), but at least keeps the meat. if it didn't pass ARs it's not like this was a trophy he lost. 

or maybe loses next years tag or something? I just hate seeing the guy lose the meat. 

i'd share the same belief, except i'm leaning on the assumption that it was brought to a processor that took care of it food closet style for something like venison donation coalition.  in that case I don't feel as bad.  no reason to cut the man down for his mistakes.  we all have the responsibility of living with consequences for our actions though.  I got a speeding ticket last year in a spot where multi lane interstate speed limit slows down significantly and miles before it ends at a light. before I started to slow down the trooper taking the same route caught up to me from behind, noticed how fast we were going, and then hit me with her front radar.  she told me how it went down.  as much as I think that was BS, i had to pay and it was my fault. resulting bill to the court wasn't much less than fine in original post of thread.

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

If we were a 1 buck a season or a must report and mail back old tags i would not believe Ar would be needed either. 

2-3 yearlings and 1 mature buck makes up many a hunters season and that is either using their tags or others.  That is way to many bucks not needed in areas where doe take is needed. Of course all parts of the state wont be the same but close good hunting can be found not far from any.

And again the old saying..Cant eat the antlers>. Should not matter to them if they dont kill that spike or 4 pointer?

I agree.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

harvest data is always used to implement management tools and make decisions, both on the state level down to a small group of hunters or landowners. setting the bar of what's "enough" protected would be based on other things too if that's what you're getting at with semantics.

I would much rather DEC continue their efforts with education regardless of the outcome.  Little disappointed it's taken years worth of an AR pissing match to get more of that education, something beyond having to do obscure google searches to find info of interest, buried within the DEC web domain.

Agreed

5 hours ago, Belo said:

Loosing the meat would suck.   Hopefully, this story will help keep more mandatory AR's out of NY, so it can remain the meat-hunter's paradise that it is today.   Voluntary restraint can be a good thing.  I have held off on a few of legal bucks over the years.  Most often, when I did that I was rewarded later with one that had larger antlers and more meat.   I have yet to punch a buck tag and later have a crack at a larger one while I was out doe hunting.  I thought this was going to be the year, but no suck bad luck.   

Loosing the meat would suck.   Hopefully, this story will help keep more mandatory AR's out of NY, so it can remain the meat-hunter's paradise that it is today.   Voluntary restraint can be a good thing.  I have held off on a few of legal bucks over the years.  Most often, when I did that I was rewarded later with one that had larger antlers and more meat.   I have yet to punch a buck tag and later have a crack at a larger one while I was out doe hunting.  I thought this was going to be the year, but no suck bad luck.   
And how do you explain that to your family as they are expecting you to provide so they can eat? You say your all meat, yet you will let deer walk ??? It seems as if your on the "meat wagon" yet your letting an opportunity at meat walk. You have me wondering if you are just desperate for internet attention or you don't actually know what you want when it comes to bucks / AR's. Anyone who will let a buck walk in hopes of a larger one is NOT a meat hunter imo.

Well, there's your attention sir.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Story's like that make me wonder why anyone would want mandatory AR's.   I am very thankful that we don't have them here in NY.   It seems like "trophy" hunting is starting to fall out of favor, while meat-hunting is on the increase.   That means we should be free from mandatory AR's here in NY for a few more years anyhow.       
"Here" as in where you hunt/live or anywhere in NYS. Because in the southern zone we have them.

And what else did this guy expect to happen once he called the DNR?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

It was ultimately an illegal kill even if mistakenly done the bottom line is he did not 100% id his target.
Ar is NOT a hard law to abide by legally, you properly id the animal and if its legal and you want to harvest said animal you shoot it. If you can't properly id it as legal you don't shoot it, pretty simple and having to pass a deer seems to be the issue.
I could care less if they do ar here in ny I have been hunting in the ar world since its inception in pa. It has not and will not change how I hunt or what I choose to shoot.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/31/2017 at 10:10 AM, wolc123 said:

Story's like that make me wonder why anyone would want mandatory AR's.   I am very thankful that we don't have them here in NY.   It seems like "trophy" hunting is starting to fall out of favor, while meat-hunting is on the increase.   That means we should be free from mandatory AR's here in NY for a few more years anyhow.       

Stories like that scare me knowing he didn't actually identify his target but still took the shot. That could have been a trespasser going under some brush with rattling antlers attached to their pack. I think the guy that wrote the story is the only example of stupidity in that whole article.

8 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Stories like that scare me knowing he didn't actually identify his target but still took the shot. That could have been a trespasser going under some brush with rattling antlers attached to their pack. I think the guy that wrote the story is the only example of stupidity in that whole article.

Thats a hell of a stretch, honestly. Mistaking the number of points on an antler at close range is not even in the same ballpark as misidentifying a human for a deer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Anyone who will let a buck walk in hopes of a larger one is NOT a meat hunter imo.

Well, there's your attention sir.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's not entirely true, I let bucks walk all the time but still a meat hunter. I also won't let a big plump doe walk if the opportunity arises.

13 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats a hell of a stretch, honestly. Mistaking the number of points on an antler at close range is not even in the same ballpark as misidentifying a human for a deer.

Obviously it wasn't close enough to make out the points, at anything under 40 yards with my binos I can make out how many points are on a deer easily 30 minutes before sunrise. In many other states that is legal shooting time and that guy obviously didn't properly identify his target no matter what the circumstances, he shouldn't have shot. It was reckless on his part plan and simple.

20 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

i agree. in my younger days I shot a spike i was sure was a 6. Even a recent buck I thought might have been a 6 and it was a 4. in the heat of the moment, I rarely count points at all. It's usually just "does that look like a shooter rack" or not. 

I am a bigger fan of spread and beam restrictions, although they are flawed as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

i agree. in my younger days I shot a spike i was sure was a 6. Even a recent buck I thought might have been a 6 and it was a 4. in the heat of the moment, I rarely count points at all. It's usually just "does that look like a shooter rack" or not. 

I am a bigger fan of spread and beam restrictions, although they are flawed as well.

But did you have to know how many points were on it to make it legal? Would you have paid better attention if you knew you could get a ticket/fine?

Some of you guys just kill me.  It seems like some of you guys think you are so perfect that you could measure a bucks tine length and spread down to the millimeter from 200+ yards away.  I call BS on that.  Also, very easy to tell someone else that they shouldn't shoot at a deer if they are not 100% sure if you aren't THAT hunter.  Like everyone is hunting 8 hours a day the entire bow and gun season like some of you here?  And when a buck does come along will it just stand still in one clear spot for you for a half and hour just posing for you so you can look at it from all angles?  Yeah right.  You guys must hunt some dumb ass bucks, because typically any sized buck I've ever seen didn't stick around too long.  Maybe some of you guys are hunting in Four Seasons Whitetail's pen or something??  You could probably measure them with a tape measure in there.  LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chas0218 said:

But did you have to know how many points were on it to make it legal? Would you have paid better attention if you knew you could get a ticket/fine?

good point. All I'm saying is that I can relate to the mistake. And if we're playing make believe, if I had a narrow window at a buck that I thought was a shooter it sure would suck to miss the window because his head was behind some branches. Thems the rules, I agree and this guy should have waited another day. But there are those of us who only get 1 or 2 opportunities on a buck during a season and all I'm saying is that i can relate. 

for the record I'm not an AR guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

good point. All I'm saying is that I can relate to the mistake. And if we're playing make believe, if I had a narrow window at a buck that I thought was a shooter it sure would suck to miss the window because his head was behind some branches. Thems the rules, I agree and this guy should have waited another day. But there are those of us who only get 1 or 2 opportunities on a buck during a season and all I'm saying is that i can relate. 

for the record I'm not an AR guy.

I get it, but the same guys making excuses for this guys ignorance to the law are the same ones that bash any other hunter for saying they hunt sunlight to last light because it is against the law. They accuse others for being "that hunter" that is irresponsible and reckless but because the guy turned himself in he should be above the law. Sorry the law isn't supposed to be bent because a good guy got caught doing something bad. Just like getting nailed for speeding 1 mph over it is still speeding and breaking the law. I will admit that I don't drive the speed limit and do it knowing I can get a ticket. I'm also not going to speed up when I see cops just because I'm an honest guy.

i think the rub with this one isn't that he was caught, it was that he self reported and was handled the same as someone who was caught. 

listen i've disclosed many violations to the epa. there is always a penalty or mark against us, but it's always less than if we didn't self report. 

i'm with Reeltime in that knowing he's in an area with ARs he didn't do enough due diligence, and identifying a legal buck is not hard. we hunt in a large area with voluntary ARs much more complex, being there's minimum points for both sides and a spread requirement. we have numerous youth that aren't even old enough to hunt yet and new hunters successfully identifying what meets our ARs or not when they're toted along out in the field. its not hard but it takes effort and sometimes it might mean a deer walks. it's part of responsible hunting. we haven't heard really any complaints of having to let deer walk because of that.

also with our restrictions being voluntary anything going wrong is easily and quickly complained about in mass. I simply have not heard any of the leaving the subpar buck to rot situation.  any buck left to rot was poached with the head lopped off.
also the article was he mentioned is a biased article written by someone who doesn't like them. also I've talked to enough people on both sides and reading what he wrote, i'd bet money he hated them even before he got a ticket.

55 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Some of you guys just kill me.  It seems like some of you guys think you are so perfect that you could measure a bucks tine length and spread down to the millimeter from 200+ yards away.  I call BS on that.  Also, very easy to tell someone else that they shouldn't shoot at a deer if they are not 100% sure if you aren't THAT hunter.  Like everyone is hunting 8 hours a day the entire bow and gun season like some of you here?  And when a buck does come along will it just stand still in one clear spot for you for a half and hour just posing for you so you can look at it from all angles?  Yeah right.  You guys must hunt some dumb ass bucks, because typically any sized buck I've ever seen didn't stick around too long.  Maybe some of you guys are hunting in Four Seasons Whitetail's pen or something??  You could probably measure them with a tape measure in there.  LOL

Or maybe some of us are just much better at the game and know how to hunt and get stands up where we dont have to worry about 200 yard shots? If one knew how to learn whitetails and scent control one would have a much easier time getting bucks close.

Dont shoot the babies and the problem would pretty much solve itself.  One can tell what a shooter is that way with just a quick look.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I think the moral of this story is if you make a mistake, don't turn yourself in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the moral of the story is if you do turn yourself in don't expect laws to be completely ignored.  I mean being from NY we all could probably agree that there's enough laws on the books to make our heads spin. we always seem to get more and more that don't make it any better.  make the ones we've got work better or don't ignore them.  if I was an ECO dealing with it on a day by day basis and he called in acting like it wasn't a big deal and like it can be swept under the rug i'd be pissed.  we'll never know how the actual convo went though.