Deer genetics

turkeyfeathers

Interesting that deer over the years carry the same flatter like tines, slight palmation. These deer all shot in same land. Generally speaking no brow tines Even on the bigger racked bucks on cam too. Most racks don’t have the typical round like tines. The 9 point euro was a buck I killed about 16 or so years ago. Same flatness Just a neat observation 3f87c07c82f828d82709bef0dcc1f2ae.jpg9d244fc410848a8a24191285bc2ddde8.jpg4a59f43b28f70806323b33f6ea2b133a.jpg9d09633d2d068730a6b631a75c01ef11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F1CBFACC-641D-4AEB-804F-8D20E315C0B9.png

Edited by turkeyfeathers

One area I hunt has a lot of tight basket racks.  Enough so that it sticks out that it seems like a genetic trend for the area. Shot a seven point there that I could fit inside the beam of most 4's.   There also seems to be a lot of 3 points on one side and a lone one on the other in this area as well.  Will have at least 3 like that on cams every year.  Don't see this in other spots I have hunted. 

But palmation is a cool trend to have for sure.  

• Like 1

Two years in a row. Mine in 2016, My Dad’s in 2017. Both from same blind on New property my Dad bought in 2016. Both 2.5 year olds. His 140lbs dressed, mine a little bigger. Mine 15” spread. His 15 1/2”. Both 4pts with no signs of brows.

d902d0aad51ff6c30b38fc019aa2f556.jpg

790ff520b9068a2a321e657b9e5ce670.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting that researchers say bucks scatter when yearlings. And yet I have noticed over the years certain characteristics on one drainage that seem similar too. I killed two 10 points, 10 years apart on the same hill and their racks are very similar.

https://www.qdma.com/yearling-buck-dispersal-how-far-how-fast-how-many/

2 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

Interesting that researchers say bucks scatter when yearlings. And yet I have noticed over the years certain characteristics on one drainage that seem similar too. I killed two 10 points, 10 years apart on the same hill and their racks are very similar.

Great read    Thank you

25 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

Here are the two 10 points…the bare rack is actually a bit larger than the mount. Both archery kills, a couple 100 yards apart. (No idea why they are sideways.)

cropped 10 point on wall .jpg

cropped rack on wall .jpg

Edited by Buckstopshere
  • Like 2

we've noticed bucks over the years relocate to the same preferred spots because an area that works for one will probably appeal to another.  antler genetics being associated a lot with doe, it won't matter what you do or don't do, if where they're coming from isn't flushing out those genetics somehow. more proof that pulling the trigger to change genetics is a tough to impossible battle to fight.  we used to have bucks with no brows often.  since other surrounding hunters within miles are doing things differently and probably taking out some of the older doe that may have carried those genes, we now see more bucks with brow tines than not.  that's my thoughts anyway.

A lot of the mature bucks on our hill are taller more narrow antlered deer, with usually 8 or 9 point frames. With the occasional wider passed the ears headgear here and there. But the majority are tall and tight, Rarely exceeding the 140" Mark(poor soils) but when they do, they usually aren't the typical tall and tight rack. Not that score matters to me, nor is that a small deer by any means Just stating. Until recently it seems the bucks have usually had weak brows in our area too, but now many are sporting very good sets of brow tines compared to hardly none at all.

Well from my area the comment that keeps on coming up when we look at trail picts is that the bucks have broken or screwed up racks.

Even the small ones will have uneven sides, missing sides or just broken off. I'm close to Let em Grow and think minerals have something to do with this. Then again we are right in the heart of Ag country thought the soil would be better. I don't know.

7 minutes ago, First-light said:

Well from my area the comment that keeps on coming up when we look at trail picts is that the bucks have broken or screwed up racks.

Even the small ones will have uneven sides, missing sides or just broken off. I'm close to Let em Grow and think minerals have something to do with this. Then again we are right in the heart of Ag country thought the soil would be better. I don't know.

We are only minutes away but, we really dont have much AG near us. There may be a handful of fields they rotate a mile or so away. but that it really, besides the food plots all around. I agree with where you are, lots more Ag over your way.  

• Like 1

We are only minutes away but, we really dont have much AG near us. There may be a handful of fields they rotate a mile or so away. but that it really, besides the food plots all around. I agree with where you are, lots more Ag over your way.  

Surely a large part of it....

Bucks really don’t reach their potential in terms of growth where genetics are most likely to show capabilities. Looking at captive deer they’re all about genetics AND food. A 150” 2yo in Iowa isn’t just because mom and dad were of a certain pedigree. There are maps showing trophy buck regions overlapped with ag areas...there are ones with hunter density too but that’s where it stops. The Missouri deer podcast covered had a great episode a few months back where they discussed taking deer from one area to another and how after two breeding cycles they took on characteristics of the indigenous herd. Essentially, in my mind, the three locational characteristics of : age, genetics and food play a role...but balance is needed beyond what the north eastern us can offer. Genetics also placate to the environment(ie- Bergman’s principal) which weather and food dictate the majority of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk