Ground Blinds

What brand of pop up blinds is everyone using, and is the material quiet in extreme cold weather?

I just bought my first blind. It's an Ameristep blind. I hunted out of it tonight and the temperature was 12*. The fabric seemed very noisy in the wind. I secured all of the windows that weren't being used, but they still seemed to flap. I was very close to a bedding thicket and I know that they heard it. It sound like a tarp flapping in the wind. 

Im just curious if I should return it and get a better quality blind, or is this normal for the extreme conditions?

I read some reviews of the Primos and it said they were noisy. The Ameristep Caretaker that I bought has a Durashell fabric. Will this fabric be less noisy in warmer temperatures? I guess I can bring it home and thaw it out, but I'd rather not. I'd rather leave it be for a week and let them get used to it. But if it's going to be noisy even during the early season, I'll just order something with a different fabric. 

28 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Scrap rhino. They were bought out and since the change of hands (last year ?) Quality went down. Fabric, seams, zippers etc. If I had to it would be an ameristep with the silent windows or a primos

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Would the Ameristep with the silent windows be The Crush blind? I couldn't find any info on the type of material used on that one. 

Would the Ameristep with the silent windows be The Crush blind? I couldn't find any info on the type of material used on that one. 
Yes. And unfortunately Tiffany lakofsky is not included with purchase...lol. As far as materials go, those windows won't "flap" in the wind and I can assume most blinds will get a bit noisy in these temps. If you are going to leave it out, better get a 2x4 or something in their in case it snows. A couple inches of the heavy stuff and your blond will collapse.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Yes. And unfortunately Tiffany lakofsky is not included with purchase...lol. As far as materials go, those windows won't "flap" in the wind and I can assume most blinds will get a bit noisy in these temps. If you are going to leave it out, better get a 2x4 or something in their in case it snows. A couple inches of the heavy stuff and your blond will collapse.

Man you are having a good time out there in the woods.  Making your "blonde" collapse.  Tiffany just might be meeting you out there. Lol

Edited by Robhuntandfish

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I think i bought a rhino blind ,some of the seams were see through from day one but the sides are tight as a banjo string once its up.

Fall of 2016 I bought a Rhino Blind.  An elderly hunting buddy was hedging on coming down to camp and I was trying to assure him he'd be comfortable so I purchased the blind and set it in a great spot.  He never came down to hunt and nobody else sat in it, too bad.  It survived at least one late season snowstorm and plenty of wind.  I staked it down extra good though and used a hunk of deadwood to keep the center from collapsing. 

Well worth the money from what I can see.......

https://rhinoblinds.com/

Edited by Lawdwaz

My son bought a Redneck 6'x6' soft sided blind last year. It has an all steel frame including a steel hub frame for the roof. The sides are 600 denier and it has a 77" high ceiling and both wide horizontal windows and tall vertical windows for both gun and bow hunting. They are quality blinds made in the USA. The attached photo shows that they will hold up to a heavy snow. They are very roomy inside and we have taken both deer and a longbeard from this blind.

Redneck blind.jpg

• Like 1

I have an old Primos that has been blown down by the wind a few times and has caved in from snow. Ive had to fix some of the poles (used fiberglass driveway markers) and she has a few tears in the material, but it still works. I also have some Ameristep blinds and like those. Last one I bought was an Ameristep Dominator (pretty much the same as the current Element), which has been great so far.

10 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

My son bought a Redneck 6'x6' soft sided blind last year. It has an all steel frame including a steel hub frame for the roof. The sides are 600 denier and it has a 77" high ceiling and both wide horizontal windows and tall vertical windows for both gun and bow hunting. They are quality blinds made in the USA. The attached photo shows that they will hold up to a heavy snow. They are very roomy inside and we have taken both deer and a longbeard from this blind.

Redneck blind.jpg

Those blinds look great.   They are more of a permanent blind but I see one in my future at some point.  You don’t remove the skin for the winter?

• Like 1

Another vote for Primos.  I was disappointed in the Ameristep "Bone Collector" blind I bought.  The fabric was thin and ripped after one season.  I have been meaning to build a homemade round bale blind, but haven't gotten around to it.  I don't have a shop to work in.  I'm all for building "brush blinds", but I would like a good hub style blind for moving around during bow season or wet days.

44 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Those blinds look great.   They are more of a permanent blind but I see one in my future at some point.  You don’t remove the skin for the winter?

The skin can be removed leaving the steel frame. We have not removed the skin and have had no problems leaving it on year round. The heavy steel frame supports the 600 denier skin just fine. The attached image shows the steel frame without the skin.

ghillie-blind-frame_400x.jpg

I think what I'll end up doing is duct taping the windows shut on the inside for now. I'm sure that the cold temperatures have increased the noise of the fabric. I'll probably only hunt out of it 1 or 2 more times this year, so I'd just rather leave it up for now as time is running out before they start dropping their horns. Hopefully they get used to it being there before too long. 

Since this was my first blind purchase and kind of spur of the moment, I really didn't know what to look for or have much to choose from. At least it wasn't too much $$. I'll look into some other blinds at some point during the off season. I'd really like to get another one that is more suitable and quiet during the late season. Thanks for the replies and Happy New Year!

Edited by NonTypical